A miniaturized ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna based on Sierpinski square slots is reported. The antenna has a compact dimension of only 0.32λl×0.32λl (28×28 mm2), at a lower frequency of 3.4 GHz. Antenna miniaturization is achieved by etching Sierpinski square slots in the radiating decagonal shaped monopole, and UWB operations are accomplished by utilizing double truncations in the ground plane. The designed antenna has a fractional bandwidth of about 127.3% (3.41-15.37 GHz) in simulation and about 124.7% (3.50-15.1 GHz) in measurement. The time domain characteristics of the designed antenna are discussed in detail. Good radiation characteristics and impedance matching are exhibited by the designed fractal antenna in the entire UWB range.
2. Ali, T., M. M. Khaleeq, S. Pathan, and R. C. Biradar, "A multiband antenna loaded with metamaterial and slots for GPS/WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 1, 79-85, 2018.
3. Ali, T., S. Pathan, and R. C. Biradar, "Multiband, frequency reconfigurable and metamaterial antennas design techniques-present and future research directions," Internet Technology Letters, 2017, doi-10.1002/itl2.19.
4. Ali, T., M. M. Khaleeq, and R. C. Biradar, "A multiband reconfigurable slot antenna for wireless applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 84, 273-280, 2018.
5. Ali, T. and R. C. Biradar, "A compact hexagonal slot dual band frequency reconfigurable antenna for WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 4, 958-964, 2017.
6. Kunwar, A., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Design of a compact U-shaped slot triple band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 71, 82-88, 2017.
7. Anguera, J., C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, Fractal Shaped Antennas: A Review, Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, 2005.
8. Apaydin, N., K. Sertel, and J. L. Volakis, "Nonreciprocal and magnetically scanned leaky-wave antenna using coupled CRLH lines ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 6, 2954-2961, 2014.
9. Ali, T., A. W. Mohammad Saadh, S. Pathan, and R. C. Biradar, "A miniaturized circularly polarized coaxial fed superstrate slot antenna for L-band application," Internet Technology Letters, 2017, doi: 10.1002/itl2.21.
10. Ali, T. and R. C. Biradar, "A triple-band highly miniaturized antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 2, 466-471, 2018.
11. Reddy, B. R. and D. Vakula, "Size miniaturization of slit-based circular patch antenna with defected ground structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 10, 2410-2413, 2015.
12. Ali, T. and R. C. Biradar, "A miniaturized Volkswagen logo UWB antenna with slotted ground structure and metamaterial for GPS, WiMAX and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 72, 29-41, 2017.
13. Tang, M. C., T. Shi, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Planar ultrawideband antennas with improved realized gain performance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 1, 61-69, 2016.
14. Ershadh, M., "Study of the design evolution of an antenna and its performance for UWB communications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 1, 81-84, 2015.
15. Shokri, M., V. Rafii, S. Karamzadeh, Z. Amiri, and B. Virdee, "Miniaturised ultra-wideband circularly polarised antenna with modified ground plane," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 24, 1786-1788, 2014.
16. Baliarda, C. P., E. J. L. Rozan, and J. A. Pros, , U.S. Patent No. 7,202,822, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, DC, 2007.
17. Anguera, J., C. Puente, E. Martinez, and E. Rozan, "The fractal Hilbert monopole: A two-dimensional wire," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 36, No. 2, 102-104, 2003.
18. Anguera, J., J. P. Daniel, C. Borja, J. Mumbru, C. Puente, T. Leduc, and P. Van Roy, "Metallized foams for antenna design: Application to fractal-shaped sierpinski-carpet monopole," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 239-251, 2010.
19. Ding, M., R. Jin, J. Geng, and Q. Wu, "Design of a CPW-fed ultrawideband fractal antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 1, 173-176, 2007.
20. Saraswat, R. K., A. K. Chaturvedi, and V. Sharma, "Slotted ground miniaturized UWB antenna metamaterial inspired for WLAN and WiMAX applications," 2016 8th International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks (CICN), 213-216, IEEE, 2016.
21. Ghanbari, L., S. Nikmehr, and M. Rezvani, "A novel small UWB antenna using new fractal-like geometry," IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-4, 2011.
22. Tripathi, S., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "Hexagonal fractal ultra-wideband antenna using Koch geometry with bandwidth enhancement," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 15, 1445-1450, 2014.
23. Wiesbeck, W., G. Adamiuk, and C. Sturm, "Basic properties and design principles of UWB antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 372-385, 2009.
24. Singhal, S. and A. K. Singh, "CPW-fed hexagonal Sierpinski super wideband fractal antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 15, 1701-1707, 2016.
25. Zhang, H. T., G. Q. Luo, B. Yuan, and X. H. Zhang, "A novel ultra-wideband metamaterial antenna using chessboard-shaped patch," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 12, 3008-3012, 2016.
26. Mohammad, S. A., M. M. Khaleeq, T. Ali, and R. C. Biradar, "A miniaturized truncated ground plane concentric ring shaped UWB antenna for wireless applications," 2017 2nd IEEE International Conference on Recent Trends in Electronics, Information & Communication Technology (RTEICT), 116-120, IEEE, 2017.
27. Islam, M. T., M. Samsuzzaman, M. N. Rahman, and M. T. Islam, "Miniaturized UWB antenna with excellent frequency ratio and bandwidth enhancement for wireless applications," 2017 4th International Conference on Advances in Electrical Engineering (ICAEE), 80-83, IEEE, 2017.
28. Hossain, M. J., M. R. I. Faruque, M. M. Islam, M. T. Islam, and M. A. Rahman, "Bird face microstrip printed monopole antenna design for ultra wide band applications," Frequenz, Vol. 70, No. 11-12, 473-478, 2016.
29. Ezuma, M. C., S. Subedi, and J. Y. Pyun, "Design of a compact UWB antenna for multi-band wireless applications," 2015 International Conference on Information Networking (ICOIN), 456-461, IEEE, 2015.
30. Nada, A. M. and A. M. Allam, "UWB antenna for Wi-Fi and radar applications," Int. J. Computer Info. Tech., Vol. 3, No. 5, 1033-1036, 2014.