A broadband monopole antenna is presented, with a radiating body consisting of a fractal tree with three-dimensional conical branches. The effect on polarization and return loss of varying the number of branches, as well as the number of fractal iterations, is explored and presented. The best-case antenna, having five branches and three fractal iterations, was fabricated using a 3D-printed form covered in conductive spray paint. The return loss of this antenna was shown in both simulation and measurement to be better than -10 dB from 1.22 GHz to 24.1 GHz, a bandwidth of more than 180%.
2. Puente-Baliarda, C., J. Romeu, R. Pous, and A. Cardama, "On the behavior of the Sierpinski multiband fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 4, 517-524, 1998.
3. Naser-Moghadasi, M., R. A. Sadeghzadeh, T. Aribi, T. Sedghi, and B. S. Virdee, "UWB monopole microstrip antenna using fractal tree unit-cells," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 10, 2366-2370, 2012.
4. Pourahmadazar, J., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Novel modified pythagorean tree fractal monopole antennas for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 484-487, 2011.
5. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., P. Akkaraekthalin, S. Saleekaw, and M. Krairiksh, "Bidirectional multiband antenna with modified fractal slot fed by CPW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 59-72, 2009.
6. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, P. Akkaraekthalin, and M. Krairiksh, "A Rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified Minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
7. Hamdy, S., A. El-Khouly, A. Zaki, and S. E. El-Khamy, "A new fractal-like tree structure of circular patch antennas for 5G multi-band and wide-band applications," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS), 2467-2467, Shanghai, China, August 8-11, 2016.
8. Petko, J. S. and D. H. Werner, "Miniature reconfigurable three-dimensional fractal tree antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 8, 1945-1956, 2004.
9. Rmili, H., O. El Mrabet, J. Floc’h, and J. Miane, "Study of an electrochemically-deposited 3-D random fractal tree-monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1045-1050, 2007.
10. Smith, K. L. and R. S. Adams, "A novel ultra-wideband fractal monopole antenna," IEEE Int. Symp. on Ant. and Prop. (APSURSI), 2315-2316, 2015.