This work presents an enhanced rectenna with a differential source feeding scheme for radio frequency (RF) energy harvesting at 2.45 GHz frequency. A circularly polarized (CP) microstrip antenna with embedded slots is designed which efficiently attains harmonics suppression. By modifying size and position of two diametrically opposite triangular projections in the top patch, two orthogonal modes that have equal magnitude and are in phase quadrature are excited. The four radial slots embedded in the antenna can block 2nd and 3rd harmonics which is suitable for onboard rectenna design without harmonics filter. A microstrip tapered feed line is used to match antenna element with 50-ohm impedance. The designed antenna is then tested for RF energy harvesting in two ways. One is conventional single source fed rectenna (SSFR), and the other is proposed differential source fed rectenna (DSFR). In the DSFR, the designed antennas are differentially operated by making a difference of λg/2 path length (λg Guided wavelength), and the ports are then connected to a differentially driven optimized rectifier circuit. For comparison, an SSFR and a DSFR are fabricated and tested. The circuit parameters in each case are optimized in Agilent Design System (ADS) 2011 software to maximize RF to direct current (DC) conversion efficiency. The proposed DSFR has a maximum efficiency (RF-DC) of 41.63% at 10 dBm RF input power. In the input power range from -20 dBm to 10 dBm, the DSFR has improved performance and higher efficiency over the SSFR.
2. Chaudhary, K. and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Feasibility study of LEO, GEO and Molniya Orbit based satellite solar power station for some identified sites in India," Adv. Sp. Res., Vol. 46, No. 9, 1177-1183, 2010.
3. Shinohara, N. and H. Matsumoto, "Design of Space Solar Power System (SSPS) with phase and amplitude controlled magnetron," Asia-pacific Radio Science Conference, 624-626, 2004.
4. Shinohara, N. and H. Matsumoto, "Microwave power transmission system with phase and amplitude controlled magnetrons," Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Recent Advances in Space Technologies (RAST 2005), 28-33, 2004.
5. Jabbar, H., S. Member, Y. S. S. Member, and T. T. Jeong, "RF energy harvesting system and circuits for charging of mobile devices," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 1, 247-253, 2010.
6. Sun, H., Y. X. Guo, M. He, and Z. Zhong, "Design of a high-efficiency 2.45-GHz rectenna for low-input-power energy harvesting," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 929-932, 2012.
7. Lu, J.-H. and S.-C. Lin, "Broadband design of planar circularly polarized annular-ring antenna for RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 68, 1-8, 2017.
8. Prakash, K. C., S. Mathew, R. Anitha, P. V. Vinesh, M. P. Jayakrishnan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Circularly polarized dodecagonal patch antenna with polygonal slot for RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 61, 9-15, 2016.
9. Douyere, A., J. D. L. S. Luk, and F. Alicalapa, "High efficiency microwave rectenna circuit: Modelling and design," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 24, 1-2, 2008.
10. Sun, H., "An enhanced rectenna using differentially-fed rectifier for wireless power transmission," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 32-35, 2016.
11. Chin, C. H. K., Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Design of a 5.8-GHz rectenna incorporating a new patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, No. 1, 175-178, 2005.
12. Matsunaga, T., E. Nishiyama, I. Toyoda, and A. Structure, "5.8-GHz stacked differential mode rectenna suitable for large-scale rectenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 12, 5944-5949, 2015.
13. Sakamoto, T., Y. Ushijima, E. Nishiyama, M. Aikawa, and I. Toyoda, "5.8-GHz series/parallel connected rectenna array using expandable differential rectenna units," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 9, 4872-4875, Sep. 2013.
14. Chou, J. H., D. B. Lin, K. L.Weng, and H. J. Li, "All polarization receiving rectenna with harmonic rejection property for wireless power transmission," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 10, 5242-5249, 2014.
15. Ren, Y. J. and K. Chang, "5.8-GHz circularly polarized dual-diode rectenna and rectenna array for microwave power transmission," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1495-1502, 2006.
16. Huang, F.-J., T.-C. Yo, C.-M. Lee, and C.-H. Luo, "Design of circular polarization antenna with harmonic suppression for rectenna application," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 592-595, 2012.