The surface plasmon effect in metallic photonic crystals has been investigated. Band structure graph is the only graph that can be used to explain the characteristics of photonic crystals. In this work, band structure graphs have been used to describe these characteristics, which include the surface plasmon effect of photonic crystals. Recently, band structure graphs for frequency-dependent materials have been analyzed by several researchers. The surface plasmon effect has been found for these materials. This article reports the effect of surface plasmons which cause resonance state in the metallic photonic crystals when the relative permittivity is changed from band structure graphs. The numerical results from the commercial software show the magnetic field distribution of waves on the normal photonic crystals, and defect mode is added for each frequency.
2. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 23, 4, 1987.
3. Amir Hosseini, H. N. and Yehia Massouda, "Triangular lattice plasmonic photonic band gaps in subwavelength metal-insulator-metal waveguide structures," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 92, 3, 2008.
4. Brand, S., R. A. Abram, and M. A. Kaliteevski, "Complex photonic band structure and effective plasma frequency of a two-dimensional array of metal rods," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 75, 7, 2007.
5. Crist, A., S. G. Tikhodeev, N. A. Gippius, J. Kuhl, and H. Giessen, "Plasmon polaritons in a metallic photonic crystal slab," Phys. Status Solidi, Vol. 5774, No. 5, 1393-1396, 2010.
6. El-Kady, I., M. M. Sigalas, R. Biswas, K. M. Ho, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Metallic photonic crystals at optical wavelengths," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 62, No. 23, 4, 2000.
7. Ghoshal, A. and P. G. Kik, "Theory and simulation of surface plasmon excitation using resonant metal nanoparticle arrays," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 103, 8, 2008.
8. Ito, T. and K. Sakoda, "Photonic bands of metallic systems. II. Features of surface plasmon polaritons," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 64, 8, 2001.
9. Keskinen, M. J., P. Loschialpo, D. Forester, and J. Schelleng, "Photonic band gap structure and transmissivity of frequency-dependent metallic-dielectric systems," transmissivity of frequency-dependent metallic-dielectric systems, Vol. 88, No. 10, 6, 2000.
10. Kuzmiak, V. and A. A. Maradudin, "Photonic band structures of one- and two-dimensional periodic systems with metallic components in the presence of dissipation," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 55, No. 12, 18, 1997.
11. Kuzmiak, V. and A. A. Maradudin, "Distribution of electromagnetic field and group velocities in two-dimensional periodic systems with dissipative metallic components," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 58, No. 11, 22, 1998.
12. Kuzmiak, V., A. A. Maradudin, and F. Pincemin, "Photonic band structures of two-dimensional systems containing metallic components," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 50, No. 23, 10, 1994.
13. Luo, C., S. G. Johnson, J. D. Joannopoulos, and J. B. Pendry, "Negative refraction without negative index in metallic photonic crystals," Opt. Express, Vol. 11, No. 7, 9, 2003.
14. Moreno, E., D. Erni, and C. Hafner, "Band structure computations of metallic photonic crystals with the multiple multipole method," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 10, 2002.
15. O’Brien, S. and J. B. Pendry, "Photonic band-gap effects and magnetic activity in dielectric composites," J. Physics Condens. Matter, Vol. 14, No. 15, 11, 2002.
16. Ortuno, R., C. Garcia-Meca, F. J. Rodriguez-Fortuno, J. Marti, and A. Martinez, "Role of surface plasmon polaritons on optical transmission through double layer metallic hole arrays," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, 10, 2009.
17. Pendry, J. B. and A. MacKinnon, "Calculation of photon dispersion relations," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 69, No. 19, 4, 1992.
18. Pimenov, A. and A. Loidl, "Conductivity and permittivity of two-dimensional metallic photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 96, 4, 2006.
19. Sakoda, K., N. Kawai, and T. Ito, "Photonic bands of metallic systems. I. Principle of calculation and accuracy," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 64, 8, 2001.
20. Ustyantsev, M. A., L. F. Marsal, J. Ferre-Borrull, and J. Pallares, "Effect of the dielectric background on dispersion characteristics of metallo-dielectric photonic crystals," Opt. Commnuications, Vol. 260, 5, 2006.
21. Xu, X., Y. Xi, D. Han, X. Liu, J. Zi, and Z. Zhu, "Effective plasma frequency in one-dimensional metallic-dieletric photonic crystals," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 86, 3, 2005.
22. Zeid, A. and H. Baudrand, "Electromagnetic scattering by metallic holes and its applications in microwave circuit design," microwave circuit design, Vol. 50, No. 4, 1198-1206, 2002.
23. Zhao, Y. and D. R. Grischkowsky, "2-D terahertz metallic photonic crystals in parallel-plate waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 4, 8, 2007.
24. Low, K. L., M. Z. M. Jafri, and S. A. Khan, "Effective plasma frequency for two-dimensional metallic photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 12, 13, 2010.
25. Low, K. L., M. Z. M. Jafri, and S. A. Khan, "Band gap calculation on 2D square lattice metallic slab photonic crystals with air rods," 3rd International Meeting on Frontiers of Physics 2009, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2009.
26. Low, K. L., M. Z. M. Jafri, and S. A. Khan, "Band gap study using plane wave expansion method for metallic slab with air rods in E polarizing mode," Chinese J. Phys., Vol. 47, No. 6, 10, 2009.
27. Low, K. L., M. Z. M. Jafri, and S. A. Khan, "Dielectric slab photonic crystals containing metallic components for E polarization mode," Appl. Phys. Rev., Vol. 2, No. 2, 2010.
28. Nenninger, G. G., P. Tobiska, J. Homola, and S. S. Yee, "Long-range surface plasmons for high-resolution surface plasmon resonance sensors," Sensors Actuators B Chem., Vol. 74, No. 1-3, 145-151, Apr. 2001.
29. Homola, J., S. S. Yee, and G. Gauglitz, "Surface plasmon resonance sensors: review," Sensors Actuators B Chem., Vol. 54, No. 1-2, 3-15, Jan. 1999.
30. Tiwari, K., S. C. Sharma, and N. Hozhabri, "High performance surface plasmon sensors: Simulations and measurements," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 118, No. 9, 93105, Sep. 2015.
31. Homola, J. and Ed., Surface Plasmon Resonance Based Sensors, Vol. 4, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2006.
32. Laude, V., Y. Achaoui, S. Benchabane, and A. Khelif, "Plane wave expansion method for phononic crystals: Review and prospects,", 2009.
33. Ferre-Borrull, J., E. Xifre-Perez, M. Lluis, F. Marsal, and J. Pallares, "Real metals in metallo-dielectric photonic crystals in the visible," 2007 Spanish Conference on Electron Devices, 4, 2007.
34. Reinhard, B., G. Torosyan, and R. Beigang, "Band structure of terahertz metallic photonic crystals with high metal filling factor," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 92, No. 20, 2059, 2008.
35. Zhang, J., L. Cai, W. Bai, and G. Song, "Flat surface plasmon polariton bands in Bragg grating waveguide for slow light," J. Light. Technol., Vol. 28, No. 14, 2030-2036, Jul. 2010.
36. Gadot, F., A. de Lustrac, J.-M. Lourtioz, T. Brillat, A. Ammouche, and E. Akmansoy, "High-transmission defect modes in two-dimensional metallic photonic crystals," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 85, No. 12, 8499-8501, May 1999.
37. Low, K. L., M. Z. M. Jafri, and S. A. Khan, "Effective plasma frequency for two-dimensional metallic photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 12, No. 1, 67-79, 2010.
38. Low, K. L., M. Z. Mat Jafri, and S. A. Khan, "An investigation of surface plasmon effects on metallic photonic crystals in H polarization," The 8th International Conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics, 2017.
39. Kittel, C., Introduction to Solid State Physics, Wiley, 2005.
40. Sakoda, K., Optical Properties of Photonic Crystals, 2005.
41. Qiu, M. and S. He, "Numerical method for computing defect modes in two-dimensional photonic crystals with dielectric or metallic inclusions," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 61, No. 19, 6, 2000.