Proof-of-concept is presented of a novel slot antenna structure with two excitation ports. Although this antenna provides a wide impedance bandwidth, its peak gain and optimum radiation efficiency are observed at its mid-band operational frequency. The antenna structure is etched on the top side of a dielectric substrate with a ground plane. The antenna essentially consists of a rectangular patch with two dielectric slots in which multiple coupled patch arms embedded with H-shaped slits are loaded. The two dielectric slots are isolated from each other with a large H-shaped slit. The radiation characteristics of the proposed antenna in terms of impedance bandwidth, gain and efficiency can be significantly improved by simply increasing the number of radiation arms and modifying their dimensions. The antenna's performance was verified by building and testing three prototype antennas. The final optimized antenna exhibits a fractional bandwidth of 171% (0.5-6.4 GHz) with a peak gain and maximum radiation efficiency of 5.3 dBi and 75% at 4.4 GHz, respectively. The antenna has physical dimensions of 27×37×1.6 mm3 corresponding to electrical size of 0.0452λ0×0.0627λ0×0.0026λ0, where λ0 is free-space wavelength at 0.5 GHz. The antenna is compatible for integration in handsets and other broadband wireless systems that operate over L-, S-, and C-bands.
2. Browne, D. W., M. Manteghi, M. P. Fitz, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Experiments with compact antenna arrays for MIMO radio communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3239-3250, Nov. 2006.
3. Rembold, B., "Relation between diagram correlation factors and parameters of multiport antenna with arbitrary feeding network," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 1, 5-7, Jan. 2008.
4. Liu, J., Y. Cheng, Y. Nie, and R. Gong, "Metamaterial extends microstrip antenna," Microwaves & RF., Vol. 52, No. 12, 69-73, 2013.
5. Arora, C., S. S. Pattnaik, and R. N. Baral, "Dual band microstrip patch antenna array loaded with split ring resonators and via holes," AEU - Int. Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 253-260, Sept. 2018.
6. Rezvani, M. and Y. Zehforoosh, "A dual-band multiple-input multiple-output microstrip antenna with metamaterial structure for LTE and WLAN applications," AEU - Int. Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 277-282, Sept. 2018.
7. Cheng, Y. Z., Y. L. Yang, Y. J. Zhou, Z. Zhang, X. S.Mao, and G. R. Zhou, "Indefinite-permeability metamaterial lens with finite size for miniaturized wireless power transfer system," AEU - Int. Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 9, 1282-1287, 2016.
8. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M., M. Naser-Moghadasi, R. A. Sadeghzadeh, and B. S. Virdee, "Metamaterial-based antennas for integration in UWB transceivers and portable microwave handsets," Int. Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 1, 88-96, Jan. 2016.
9. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M., M. Naser-Moghadasi, R. A. Sadeghzadeh, B. S. Virdee, and E. Limiti, "Dual-band RFID tag antenna based on the Hilbert-curve fractal for HF and UHF applications," IET Circuits, Devices & Systems, Vol. 10, No. 2, 140-146, Mar. 2016.
10. Coetzee, J. C. and Y. Liu, "Compact multiport antenna with isolated ports," Microwave and Optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 50, No. 1, 229-232, 2006.
11. Wang, B., Y. Zhuang, and X. Li, "Compact dual ports handheld RFID reader antenna with high isolation," Int. Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 6, 548-555, 2015.
12. Paulson, M., S. O. Kundukulam, C. K. Aanandan, and P. Mohanan, "Analysis and design of a dual-port compact microstrip antenna," Microwave and Optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 32, No. 2, 125-127, 2002.
13. Wang, R., B.-Z. Wang, Z.-S. Gong, and X. Ding, "Compact multiport antenna with radiator-sharing approach and its performance evaluation of time reversal in an intra-car environment," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 9, 4213-4219, 2015.
14. Chang, Y.-C. and C.-C. Chiu, "Design of a planar ultra-wideband miniature monopole antenna for wireless USB dongle devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1013-1016, May 2010.
15. See, C. H., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, D. Zhou, H. I. Hraga, and P. S. Excell, "Miniature dual-band and wideband planar inverted F-L-antennas for wireless local area network and ultra-wideband applications," Electromagnetics, Vol. 31, No. 3, 233-245, DOI: 10.1080/02726343.2011.558462.
16. Hraga, H. I., C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, D. Zhou, S. Adnan, I. T. E. Elfergani, and P. S. Excell, "Small wideband antenna for GSM and WLAN applications," Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Barcelona, Spain, Apr. 12–16, 2010.
17. Kwak, S. I., K. Chang, and Y. J. Yoon, "Small spiral antenna for wideband capsule endoscope system," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 23, 1328-1329, 2006.
18. Naidu, P. V., A. Kumar, and V. Kumar, "A very small wideband asymmetric coplanar strip fed printed dual band antenna for advanced communication applications," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium - Fall (PIERS - FALL), Singapore, Nov. 19–22, 2017.
19. Saini, H. S., A. Thakur, R. Kumar, A. Sharma, and N. Kumar, "A small size wideband planar inverted-F antenna f¨ur usb d¨ungle devices," 1st IEEE Int Conference on Power Electronics. Intelligent Control and Energy Systems (ICPEICES-2016), 2016.
20. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M., M. Naser-Moghadasi, R. A. Sadeghzadeh, B. S. Virdee, and E. Limiti, "New compact antenna based on simplified CRLH-TL for UWB wireless communication systems," Int. Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 3, 217-225, Mar. 2016.
21. Luo, J., S. Gong, P. Duan, C. Mou, and M. Long, "Small-size wideband monopole antenna with CRLH-TL for LTE mobile phone," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 171-179, 2014.
22. Abdalla, M. A., A. A. Awad, and K. M. Hassan, "Wide band high selective compact metamaterial antenna for 2 GHz wireless applications," Antennas and Propagation Conf., 350-354, Loughborough, Leicestershire, United Kingdom, Nov. 2014.
23. Li, Y., Z. Zhang, J. Zheng, and Z. Feng, "Compact heptaband reconfigurable loop antenna for mobile handset," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1162-1165, 2011.
24. Lee, C. J., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/lefthanded transmission line based compact resonant antennas for RF module integration," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 2283-2291, 2006.
25. Lee, C. J., K. M. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Broadband small antenna for portable wireless application," Int. Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials, iWAT 2008, 10-13, Mar. 4–6, 2008.
26. Yu, C.-C., M.-H. Huang, L.-K. Lin, and Y.-T. Chang, "A compact antenna based on metamaterial for WiMAX," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Macau, China, Dec. 2008.