The aim of this paper is to present a compact coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed switchable UWB antenna as an antenna filter with adjustable notched frequency bands. Novel miniaturized tunable resonators are also presented to achieve notched bands. The antenna is made tunable in notched frequency bands without any modification in the basic structure. These stopbands are made tunable just by varying values of the capacitors according to our desired applications. The antenna structure is very compact having overall dimensions of 24×30.5 mm2 with partial ground plane.The proposed small size, variable, low cost and low weight antenna with good propagation characteristics will pave the way for UWB wireless communication applications.
2. Jpeterl, Y., "A brief history of GPR fundamentals and applications," Proc. Sixth Int. Conf. Ground Penetrating Radar, 5-14, 1996.
3. Deshmukh, A. A., "Multi-band slot cut E-shaped sectoral microstrip antenna," Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 49, No. 1, 319-326, Science Direct Press, 2015.
4. Fontana, R. J., "Recent system applications of short pulse ultrawideband (UWB) technology," IEEE Trans. Microwave. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2087-2104, 2004.
5. Naghshvarianjahromi, M., "Compact UWB bandnotch antenna with transmission-line-fed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 283-293, 2008.
6. Kim, K.-H. and R. K. S.-O. Pa, "Analysis of the small band-rejected antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1688-1692, 2006.
7. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and R. K. S. O. Pa, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, 2006.
8. Kim, K.-H., Y.-J. Cho, S.-H. Hwang, and R. K. S.-O. Pa, "Band notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 14, 783-785, 2005.
9. Lin, Y.-C. and K.-J. Hung, "Compact ultra-wide band rectangular aperture antenna and band-notched design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3075-3081, 2006.
10. Chen, Z. N., Antennas for Portable Devices, John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
11. Mardani, H., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A simple compact monopole antenna with variable single- and double-filtering function for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1076-1079, 2010.
12. Zehforoosh, Y. and T. Sedghi, "A CPW-fed printed antenna with band-notched function using an M-shaped slot," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 5, 1088-1093, 2014.
13. Kelly, J. R., P. S. Hall, and P. Gardner, "Band-notched UWB antenna incorporating a microstrip open-loop resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 8, 3045-3048, 2011.
14. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Cabedo-Fabres, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and A. Vila-Jimenez, "Active UWB antenna with tunable band-notched behaviour," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 18, 959-960, Aug. 2007.
15. Jeong, W.-S., D.-Z. Kim, W.-G. Lim, and J.-W. Yu, "Tunable bandnotched ultra wideband planar monopole antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 12, 2829-2832, Dec. 2009.
16. Hu, Z. H., P. S. Hall, J. R. Kelly, and P. Gardner, "UWB pyramidal monopole antenna with wide tunable band-notched behaviour," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 24, 1588-1590, Nov. 2010.
17. Rahman, M. U., "CPW fed miniaturized UWB tri-notch antenna with bandwidth enhancement," Advances in Electrical Engineering, Vol. 2016, 1-7, 2016.
18. Li, T., H. Zhai, L. Li, C. Liang, and Y. Han, "Compact UWB antenna with tunable band-notched characteristic based on microstrip open-loop resonator," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1584-1587, 2012.
19. Erfani, E., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, M. Niroo-Jazi, and T. A. Denidni, "Design and implementation of an integrated UWB/reconfigurableslot antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 77-80, 2012.
20. Elfergani, I. T. E., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, S. M. R. Jones, and P. S. Excell, "A compact design of tunable band-notched ultrawideband antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 7, 1642-1644, Jul. 2012.
21. Loizeau, S. and A. Sibille, "Reconfigurable ultra-wide band monopole antenna with a continuously tunable band notch," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 5, 346-350, Apr. 2014.
22. Nouri, M. and S. A. Aghdam, "Reconfigurable UWB antenna with electrically control for triple on-demand rejection bandwidth," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 8, 1894-1897, Aug. 2015.
23. Elfergani, I. T. E., et al., "Printed monopole antenna with tunable band-notched characteristic for use in mobile and ultra-wide band applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput.-Aided Eng., Vol. 25, No. 5, 403-412, Jun. 2015.
24. Tang, M. C., H. Wang, T. Deng, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Compact planar ultrawideband antennas with continuously tunable, independent band-notched filters," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, 3292-3301, 2016.
25. Deng, J. Y., S. Hou, L. Zhao, and L. X. Guo, "Wideband-to-narrowband tunable monopole antenna with integrated bandpass filters for UWB/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2734-2737, 2017.
26. Deng, J., S. Hou, L. Zhao, and L. Guo, "A reconfigurable filtering antenna with integrated bandpass filters for UWB/WLAN applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 1, 401-404, 2018.
27. Naghshvarianjahromi, M. and A. Ghorabani, "On the behavior of compact ultrawideband tunable bandwidth semicomplementary split ring resonator bandpass filter," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 1, 256-263, 2015.