In this paper, a compact metamaterial quad-band antenna is presented. The antenna is designed from a unit cell of asymmetric extended-composite right/left handed transmission line (E-CRLH TL) as the main resonator part and a 50 Ω coplanar waveguide (CPW) as the feeding part. The design concept and resonant frequencies are analyzed and discussed. The results show that the proposed antenna exhibits four frequency bands covering GSM810, WLAN 2.45/5.5 GHz and WiMAX 3.5 GHz bands. The overall size of the fabricated antenna is only 57.2 mm×31.2 mm×1.6 mm and is very small compared with other proposed quad-band antennas. In addition, a good agreement can be seen among the estimated resonant frequencies, HFSS simulated and measured results.
2. Lin, C. P., C. H. Chang, and C. F. Jou, "Compact quad-band monopole antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 6, 1272-1276, Jun. 2011.
3. Sun, X., G. Zeng, H. C. Yang, Y. Li, X. J. Liao, and L.Wang, "Design of an edge-fed quad-band slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 111-120, 2011.
4. Cao, Y. F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "A multiband slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 3, 952-958, Mar. 2015.
5. Xiong, L., P. Gao, and P. J. Tang, "Quad-band rectangular wide-slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 30, 201-2011, 2012.
6. Sun, X., G. Zeng, H. C. Yang, and Y. Li, "A compact quad-band CPW-Fed slot antenna for MWiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 395-398, Apr. 2012.
7. Aziz, R. S., M. A. S. Alkanhal, and A. F. A. Sheta, "Multiband fractal-like antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 339-354, 2011.
8. Liu, H., P. Wen, S. Zhu, B. Ren, X. Guan, and H. Yu, "Quad-band CPW-fed monopole antenna based on flexible pentangle-loop radiator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1373-1376, Feb. 2015.
9. Azaro, R., F. Viani, L. Lizzi, E. Zeni, and A. Massa, "A monopolar quad-band antenna based on a Hilbert self-affine prefractal geometry," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 177-180, Apr. 2009.
10. Risco, S., J. Anguera, A. Andujar, A. Perez, and C. Puente, "Coupled monopole antenna design for multiband handset devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 10, 359-364, Feb. 2010.
11. Xu, H., H. Wang, S. Gao, H. Zhou, Y. Huang, Q. Xu, and Y. Cheng, "A compact and low-profile loop antenna with six resonant modes for LTE smartphone," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 9, 3743-3751, Sep. 2016.
12. Anguera, J., C. Picher, A. Bujalance, and A. Andujar, "Ground plane booster antenna technology for smartphones and tablets ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1289-1294, Jun. 2016.
13. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
14. Caloz, C., "Dual composite right/left-handed (D-CRLH) transmission line metamaterial," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 11, 585-587, Nov. 2006.
15. Lee, W. H., A. Gummalla, and M. Achour, "Small antennas based on CRLH structures: Concept, design, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 2, 11-25, Apr. 2011.
16. Li, L., J. Zhen, F. Huo, and W. Han, "A novel compact multiband antenna employing dual-band CRLH-TL for smart mobile phone application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1688-1691, Dec. 2013.
17. Ibrahim, A. A., A. M. E. Sfwat, and H. El-Hennawy, "Triple-band microstrip-fed monopole antenna loaded with CRLH unit cell," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 10, 1547-1550, Dec. 2011.
18. Ryu, Y. H., J. H. Park, J. H. Lee, and H. S. Tae, "Multiband antenna using +1, −1, and 0 resonant mode of DGS dual composite right left handed transmission line," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2485-2488, Oct. 2009.
19. Quang, H. N. and H. Shirai, "A compact tri-band metamaterial antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications ," Proc. of International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 133-136, Sep. 2015.
20. Rennings, A., S. Otto, J. Mosig, C. Caloz, and I. Wolff, "Extended composite right/left-handed (E-CRLH) metamaterial and its application as quadband quarter-wavelength transmission line," Proc. of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1405-1408, Dec. 2006.
21. Eleftheriades, G. V., "A generalized negative refractive index transmission line (NRL-TL) metamaterial for dual-band and quad-band applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 17, No. 6, 415-417, Jun. 2007.
22. Ryan, C. G. M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A dual-band leaky-wave antenna based on generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-lines," Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, Jul. 2010.
23. Duran-Sindreu, M., J. Choi, J. Bonache, F. Martin, and T. Itoh, "Dual-band leaky wave antenna with filtering capability based on extended-composite right/left-handed transmission lines," Proc. of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Jun. 2013.
24. Abdalla, M. A. and M. A. Fouad, "CPW dual-band antenna based on asymmetric generalized metamaterial π NRI transmission line for ultra compact applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 62, 99-107, 2016.
25. Gao, X., T. J. Jackson, and P. Gardner, "Multiband open-ended resonant antenna based on one ECRLH unit cell structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1273-1276, May 2017.
26. Chu, H. B. and H. Shirai, "Analysis and design of E-CRLH TL characteristics with new closed-form solutions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 68, 163-178, 2016.
27. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
28. Booket, M. R., M. Veysi, Z. Atlasbaf, and A. Jafargholi, "Ungrounded composite right-/left-handed metamaterials: Design, synthesis and applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 11, 1259-1268, May 2012.
29. Shu, P. L. and Q. I. Feng, "Design of a compact quad-band hybrid antenna for COMPASS/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 585-598, 2013.