This paper proposes a novel planar direction-of-arrival (DOA) estimation antenna. The estimation capability of phase monopulse DOA estimation antennas is enhanced by integrating an RF multiplier that detects the phase relation between the sum and difference of the two received signals. So the proposed antenna provides a wide range of estimation whereas the conventional monopulse DOA estimation antennas determine the angles of half space. A prototype antenna has been fabricated, and the proposed concept was successfully confirmed.
2. Mahafza, B. R., Radar Systems Analysis and Design Using MATLAB, Chapman & Hall/CRC, 2000.
3. Wang, H. and D. G. Fang, "A compact single layer monopulse microstrip antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 503-509, 2006.
4. Zhong, W. U., G. M. Wang, and C. X. Zhang, "A broadband planar monopulse antenna array of C band," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 8, 1325-1328, 2009.
5. Hemant, K. and G. Kumar, "Microstrip antenna array with ratrace comparator at X-band for monopulse tracking radar ," 2016 IEEE Int’l Symp. on Antennas and Propag. (APS-URSI), 513-514, Fajardo, Puerto Rico, 2016.
6. Fei, Y., Y. Xie, and L. Zhang, "Single patch antenna with monopulse patterns," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Comp. Letters, Vol. 26, 762-764, 2016.
7. Kederer, W. and J. Detlefsen, "Directon of Arrival (DOA) determination based on monopulse concepts," Proc. 2000 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf. (APMC2000), 120-123, Sydney, Australia, 2000.
8. Sakai, H., E. Nishiyama, and I. Toyoda, "Direction of arrival estimating array antenna," Proc. 2012 Int’l Symp. on Antennas and Propag. (ISAP2012), POS 2-24, Nagoya, Japan, 2012.
9. Tanaka, R., E. Nishiyama, and I. Toyoda, "A mono-pulse DOA estimation antenna integrated with RF amplifiers and detection circuits," 2014 IEEE Int’l Symp. Antennas and Propag. and USNC-URSI Radio Sci. Mtg. (2014AP-S/USNC-URSI) Dig., 526.3, Memphis, USA, 2014.
10. Rashid, R., D. Hattori, E. Nisiyama, and I. Toyoda, "An RF multiplier integrated planar antenna for DOA estimation," Proc. 2016 Int’l Symp. on Antennas and Propag. (ISAP2016), POS 1-77, 438-439, Okinawa, Japan, 2016.
11. Aikawa, M. and H. Ogawa, "Double-sided MICs and their applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., Vol. 37, No. 2, 406-413, 1989.
12. Aikawa, M. and E. Nishiyama, "Compact MIC magic-T and the integration with planar array antenna," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E95-C, No. 10, 1560-1565, 2012.
13. Aikawa, M. and H. Ogawa, "A new MIC magic-T using coupled slotlines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., Vol. 28, No. 6, 523-528, 1980.
14. Hossain, M. A., Y. Ushijima, E. Nishiyama, I. Toyoda, and M. Aikawa, "Orthogonal circular polarization detection patch array antenna using double balanced RF multiplier," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 30, 65-80, 2012.