In this paper, a low-profile wide bandwidth circularly polarized microstrip antenna is proposed as element for a C-band airborne circularly polarized synthetic aperture radar sensor. Several bandwidth improvement techniques were proposed and implemented. In order to increase impedance bandwidth, the antenna is constructed using double-stacked substrate with low dielectric constant, modified radiating shape for multi-resonant frequency, and a circle-slotted parasitic patch. Generation of the circularly polarized wave employs a simple square patch with curve corner-truncation as radiating element. The asymmetric position of the feeding is attempted to improve the axial-ratio bandwidth. To avoid a complicated feed network, the antenna is fed by single-feed proximity-coupled microstrip line. The effect of copper-covering on the upper layer for decrease undesired radiation wave emitted by the feeding is also studied and presented. Measurement results show that the impedance bandwidth and axial ratio bandwidth are 20.9% (1,100 MHz) and 4.7% (250 MHz), respectively. Meanwhile the measured gain is 7 dBic at the frequency of 5.3 GHz.
2. Ouchi, K., "Recent trend and advance of synthetic aperture radar with selected topics," Remote Sensing, Vol. 5, No. 2, 716-807, 2013.
3. Gail, W. B., "Effect of faraday rotation on polarimetric SAR," IEEE Int. Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic System, Vol. 34, No. 1, 301-307, 1998.
4. Gao, S., Q. Luo, and F. Zhu, Circularly Polarized Antenna, John Willey Sons, 2014.
5. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., A John Willey and Sons, New Jersey, 2005.
6. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Peregrinus Ltd, London, UK, 1989.
7. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley and Sons, 1998.
8. Carver, K. R. and J. W. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-24, 1981.
9. Hung, K. F. and Y. C. Lin, "Novel broadband circularly polarized cavity-backed aperture antenna with traveling wave excitation," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 35-42, 2009.
10. Davidson, K., Y. Antar, and A. Freundorfer, "A wideband via fed circularly polarized microstrip antenna on a multi-layer substrate," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, APS-URSI 2013, Vol. 9, No. 6, 1468-1469, 2013.
11. Singh, D. K., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, G. P. Pandey, and S. Kumar, "Multiband circularly polarized stacked microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 56, 55-65, 2015.
12. Lai, H. W., D. Xue, H. Wong, K. K. So, and X. Y. Zhang, "Broadband circularly polarized patch antenna arrays with multiple layers structure," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 525-528, 2017.
13. Pozar, D. M. and B. Kaufman, "Increasing the bandwidth of a microstrip antenna by proximity coupling," Electronics Letters, Vol. 23, No. 8, 368-369, 2007.
14. Sharma, P. C. and K. C. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 6, 949-955, 1983.
15. Chung, K. L. and A. S. Mohan, "A systematic design method to obtain broadband characteristics for singly-fed electromagnetically coupled patch antennas for circularly polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 12, 3239-3248, 2003.
16. Wu, J., X. Ren, Z. Wang, and Y. Yin, "Broadband circularly polarized antenna with L-shaped strip feeding and shorting-pin loading," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1733-1736, 2015.
17. Targonski, S. D. and M. Pozar, "Design of wideband circularly polarized aperture-coupled microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 2, 214-220, 1993.
18. Sze, J. Y. and W. H. Chen, "Axial ratio bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed circularly polarized annular-ring slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 7, 2450-2456, 2011.
19. Saini, R. K. and S. Dwari, "A broadband dual circularly polarized square slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 1, 290-294, 2015.
20. Gyasi, K. O., G. Wen, Y. Huang, E. Affum, and W. Hu, "Broadband circularly polarized cross shaped slot antenna with an improved feedline," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 74, 141-149, 2017.
21. Ding, K., C. Gao, T. Yu, D. Qu, and B. Zhang, "Gain-improved broadband circularly polarized antenna array with parasitic patches," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1468-1471, Dec. 2016.
22. Fu, S., Q. Kong, S. Fang, and Z. Wang, "Broadband circularly polarized microstrip antenna with coplanar parasitic ring slot patch for L-band satellite system application," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, No. 1, 943-946, 2014.
23. Sung, Y., "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with parasitic center patch," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 4, 1712-1716, 2012.
24. Yohandri, V. W., I. Firmansyah, P. Rizki Akbar, J. T. Sri Sumantyo, and H. Kuze, "Development of circularly polarized array antenna for synthetic aperture radar broadband sensor installed on UAV," Progess In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 119-133, 2011.
25. Baharuddin, M. Z. and J. T. S. Sumantyo, "Suppressed side-lobe, beam steered, C-band circularly polarized array antenna for airborne synthetic aperture radar," The Journal of Unmanned System Technology, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2016.
26. Yang, W., J. Zhou, Z. Yu, and L. Li, "Single-fed low profile broadband circularly polarized stacked patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 10, 5406-5410, 2014.
27. Ding, K., C. Gao, D. Qu, and Q. Yin, "Compact broadband circularly polarized antenna with parasitic patches," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 65, 2017.
28. Rafii, V., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, J. Pourahmadazar, and B. S. Virdee, "Broadband circularly polarized slot antenna array using sequential rotated technique for C-band application," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, No. 1921, 128-131, 2013.
29. Ellis, M. S., Z. Zhao, J. Wu, X. Ding, Z. Nie, and Q. H. Lin, "A novel simple and compact microstrip-fed circularly polarized wide slot antenna with wide axial ratio bandwidth for C-band application," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 4, 1552-1555, 2016.
30. Zhang, H., Y. C. Jiao, L. Lu, and C. Zhang, "Broadband circularly polarized square-ring-loaded slot antenna with flat gains," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, No. 99, 29-32, 2017.