A three-section branch-line coupler is miniaturized using diamond-series stubs microstrip lines. The modified coupler is capable of operating from 1.6 GHz to 3 GHz with a return loss of less than -20 dB, phase imbalance of less than 2.5°, insertion loss and coupling of 4.5 dB and 3.02 dB, respectively. The bandwidth of the coupler has been extended up to 1.4 GHz. In addition, it achieves up to 84% size reduction as compared to a conventional three-section coupler. Furthermore, its performance and circuit size were compared with another modified coupler with normal open-stubs microstrip lines. Effects of the diamond structure and number of stubs were analyzed and discussed in detail, Furthermore, the results achieved by this study are superior to the previous studies.
2. Muraguchi, M., T. Yukitake, and Y. Naito, "Optimum design of 3-dB branch-line couplers 2 using microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 31, No. 8, 674-678, 1983.
3. Liao, S. S., P. T. Sun, N. C. Chin, and J. T. Peng, "A novel compact-size branch-line coupler," IEEE Trans. Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 9, 588-590, 2005.
4. Chun, Y. H. and J. S. Hong, "Compact wide-band branch-line hybrids," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 2, 704-709, 2006.
5. Chen, W. L., G. M. Wang, and C. X. Zhang, "Miniaturization of wideband branch-line couplers using fractal-shaped geometry," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 1, 26-29, 2009.
6. Krishna, V. V., B. Patel, and S. Sanyal, "Harmonic suppressed compact wideband branch-line coupler using unequal length open-stub units," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 1, 115-119, 2010.
7. Kurgan, P. and M. Kitlinski, "Novel doubly perforated broadband microstrip branch-line couplers," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2149-2152, 2009.
8. Dwari, S. and S. Sanyal, "Size reduction and harmonic suppression of microstrip branch-line coupler using defected ground structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 10, 1966-1969, Jul. 2006.
9. Sa’ad, B. M., S. K. Rahim, and R. Dewan, "Compact wide-band branch-line coupler with meander line, cross, and two-step stubs," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 5, No. 8, 1810-1815, Aug. 2013.
10. Kuo, J.-T., J.-S. Wu, and Y.-C. Chiou, "Miniaturized rat race coupler with suppression of spurious passband," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 1, 46-48, Jan. 2007.
11. Kim, H., B. Lee, and M. J. Park, "Dual-band branch-line coupler with port extensions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 3, 651-655, Mar. 2010.
12. Lee, S. and Y. Lee, "Wideband branch-line couplers with single-section quarter-wave transformers for arbitrary coupling levels," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 1, 19-21, Jan. 2012.
13. Wu, Y., J. Shen, and Y. Liu, "Comments on quasi-arbitrary phase-difference hybrid coupler," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 61, No. 4, 1725-1727, Apr. 2013.
14. Chiu, L. and Q. Xue, "Investigation of a wideband 90◦ hybrid coupler with an arbitrary coupling level," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1022-1029, Aug. 2010.
15. Zong, B. F., G. M. Wang, C. X. Zhang, and Y. W. Wang, "Miniaturised branch-line coupler with ultra-wide high suppression stopband," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 19, 1365-1367, Sep. 2014.
16. Bekasiewicz, A. and S. Koziel, "Miniaturised dual-band branch-line coupler," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 10, 769-771, 2015.
17. Lee, J., J. Lee, and M.-J. Park, "Branch-line couplers with arbitrary coupling value through the electrical length variation with fixed line impedances," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 11, 968-970, 2017.
18. Zhou, B., H. Wang, and W.-X. Sheng, "A modified UWB Wilkinson power divider using delta stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 49-55, 2010.
19. Alqahtani, B. M., A. F. Sheta, and andM. A. Alkanhal, "New compact wide-band branch-line couplers," IEEE Microwave Conference, 2009, EuMC 2009, European, 2009.
20. You, K. Y., A. A. Nadera, J. C. Chong, K. Y. Lee, E. M. Cheng, and Y. S. Lee, "Analytical modeling of conventional and miniaturization three-section branch-line couplers," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 13, No. 2, 858-867, 2018.