A high return loss (-30 dB), small size (100 mm2) and broad bandwidth (1.5 GHz) microwave bandpass filter has been designed using finite element modelling and developed using the superconducting YBa2Cu3O7-δ (YBCO) thin films deposited on a (10 × 10 mm2) LaAlO3 substrate by spin coating. The thin films have been prepared by electrospinning and solid-state techniques. The microwave properties of filter circuits were experimentally determined using the vector network analyser (VNA) at room temperature (300 K) and in the presence of liquid nitrogen (77 K). The solid-state filter showed high return loss (i.e. -22 dB) at operating frequency of 9.7 GHz and broad bandwidth of 1.5 GHz, which is consistent with the simulation results. The insertion losses for YBCO filters are ~-2, ~-1.5 and ~-3 dB for the normal, nanoparticle and nanorod respectively. However, the electrospun filters exhibited lower performance due to the nano-structural properties of YBCO samples at nanoscale which make these sample have a large band gap compared to solid-state sample. The results indicate that the filter design and simulation result are reliable. Hence, HTS YBCO could be a potential microwave bandpass filter in industry.
2. Mansour, R. R., "Microwave superconductivity," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, 750-759, 2002.
3. Ribadeneira-Ramirez, J., G. Martinez, D. Gomez-Barquero, and N. Cardona, "Interference analysis between digital terrestrial television (DTT) and 4G LTE mobile networks in the digital dividend bands," IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, Vol. 62, 24-34, 2016.
4. Davidson, D. B., Computational Electromagnetics for RF and Microwave Engineering, 23-30, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
5. Newman, N. and W. G. Lyons, "High-temperature superconducting microwave devices: Fundamental issues in materials, physics, and engineering," Journal of Superconductivity, Vol. 6, 119-160, 1993.
6. Weigel, R., A. Valenzuela, and P. Russer, "YBCO superconducting microwave components," Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 1, 1595-1604, 1993.
7. Van Delft, D., "History and significance of the discovery of superconductivity by Kamerlingh Onnes in 1911," Physica C: Superconductivity, Vol. 479, 30-35, 2012.
8. Wang, L., C.-H. Hsieh, and C.-C. Chang, "Cross-coupled narrow-band filter for the frequency range of 2.1GHz using YBCO resonators with artificial magnetic pinning lattices," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 15, 1040-1043, 2005.
9. Bai, D., J. Du, T. Zhang, and Y. He, "A compact high temperature superconducting bandpass filter for integration with a Josephson mixer," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 114, 133906, 2013.
10. Zhang, T., K. Yang, H. Zhu, L. Zhou, M. Jiang, and W. Dang, "Miniaturized HTS linear phase filter based on neighboring CQ units sharing resonators," Superconductor Science and Technology, Vol. 28, 105012, 2015.
11. Greenberg, Y., Y. Lumelsky, M. Silverstein, and E. Zussman, "YBCO nanofibers synthesized by electrospinning a solution of poly (acrylic acid) and metal nitrates," Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 43, 1664-1668, 2008.
12. Shen, Z., Y. Wang, W. Chen, L. Fei, K. Li, and H. L. W. Chan, "Electrospinning preparation and high-temperature superconductivity of YBa2Cu3O7−x nanotubes," Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 48, 3985-3990, 2013.
13. Duarte, E. A., N. G. Rudawski, P. A. Quintero, M. W. Meisel, and J. C. Nino, "Electrospinning of superconducting YBCO nanowires," Superconductor Science and Technology, Vol. 28, 015006, 2014.
14. Cui, X. M., W. S. Lyoo, W. K. Son, D. H. Park, J. H. Choy, and T. S. Lee, "Fabrication of YBa2Cu3O7−δ superconducting nanofibres by electrospinning," Superconductor Science and Technology, Vol. 19, 1264, 2006.
15. Uslu, I., M. Kemal Ozturk, M. Levent Aksu, and F. Gokmese, "Fabrication and characterization of boron supported YBCO superconductive nanofibers by electrospinning," Current Nanoscience, Vol. 6, 408-412, 2010.
16. Jasim, S. E. and M. A. Jusoh, "Design broad bandwidth microwave bandpass filter of 10 GHz operating frequency using HFSS," Proceedings of the 119th IIER International Conference, 31-34, Putrajaya, Malaysia, September 4-5, 2017.
17. Jasim, S. E., M. A. Jusoh, M. Hafiz, and R. Jose, "Fabrication of superconducting YBCO nanoparticles by electrospinning," Procedia Engineering, Vol. 148, 243-248, 2016.
18. Chen, J.-X., T. Y. Yum, J.-L. Li, and Q. Xue, "Dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using stacked-loop structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, 502-504, 2006.
19. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Compact dual-band microstrip bandpass filter without external feeds," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, 644-646, 2005.
20. Kumar, M. and S. Kumar, "Designing of half wavelength parallel-edge coupled line bandpass filter using HFSS," International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, Vol. 4, 876-882, 2014.
21. Mohajeri, R., Y. A. Opata, A. C. Wulff, J.-C. Grivel, and M. Fardmanesh, "All metal organic deposited high-Tc superconducting transition edge bolometer on yttria-stabilized zirconia substrate," Journal of Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism, Vol. 1, 1-6, 2016.
22. Nur-Akasyah, J., N. Nur-Shamimie, and R. Abd-Shukor, "Effect of CdTe addition on the electrical properties and AC susceptibility of YBa2Cu3O7−δ superconductor," Journal of Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism, 1-5, 2017.
23. Zhang, T., J. Du, Y. J. Guo, and X.-W. Sun, "On-chip integration of HTS bandpass and lowpass filters with Josephson mixer," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, 729-731, 2012.
24. Dadras, S. and M. Ghavamipour, "Investigation of the properties of carbon-base nanostructures doped YBa2Cu3O7−δ high temperature superconductor," Physica B: Condensed Matter, Vol. 1, 13-17, 2016.
25. Croitoru, M. D., A. A. Shanenko, and F. M. Peeters, "Dependence of superconducting properties on the size and shape of a nanoscale superconductor: From nanowire to film," Physical Review B, Vol. 1, 024511, 2007.
26. Lu, X., B. Wei, Z. Xu, B. Cao, X. Guo, and X. Zhang, "Superconducting Ultra-Wideband (UWB) bandpass filter design based on quintuple/quadruple/triple-mode resonator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, 1281-1293, 2015.
27. Jing, D., K. Shao, C. Cao, L. Zhang, G. Jiao, and Z. Zhang, "10 GHz bandpass YBCO superconducting microstrip filter," Superconductor Science and Technology, Vol. 7, 792, 1994.
28. Zhang, T., L. Zhou, K. Yang, C. Luo, M. Jiang, and W. Dang, "The research of parallel-coupled linear-phase superconducting filter," Physica C: Superconductivity and Its Applications, Vol. 519, 153-158, 2015.
29. Bhattacharjee, S., D. Poddar, S. Mukherjee, S. Saurabh, and S. Das, "Design of microstrip parallel coupled band pass filter for global positioning system," Journal of Engineering, Computers & Applied Sciences (JEC&AS), Vol. 2, 122-159, 2013.
30. Chung, D.-C., "HTS bandpass filters using parallel coupled microstrip-stepped impedance resonator," Physica C: Superconductivity, Vol. 341, 2659-2660, 2000.
31. Shivhare, J., "Design and development of low loss microstrip band pass filters by using YBCO-high temperature superconducting thin film," Recent Advances in Microwave Theory and Applications, 2008, International Conference MICROWAVE 2008, 382-383, 2008.
32. Shang, Z., X. Guo, B. Cao, X. Zhang, B. Wei, and Y. Heng, "Design and performance of an HTS wideband microstrip bandpass filter at X-band," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 1027-1029, 2013.
33. Bai, D., X. He, X. Zhang, H. Li, Q. Zhang, and C. Li, "Design of an s-band HTS filter with high power capability," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 23, 14-18, 2013.
34. Liu, H., L. Rao, Y. Xu, P.Wen, B. Ren, and X. Guan, "Design of high-temperature superconducting wideband bandpass filter with narrow-band notch resonators for radio telescope application," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 27, 1-4, 2017.