Matching networks for dual-band power amplifiers typically rely on complex, non-general techniques, which either use switches or result in large and lossy matching networks. In this work, mathematical optimization is employed to design the matching networks for multi-band power amplifiers. The theory of continuous modes is utilized together with accurate models for the device package to define the required impedance terminations theoretically thus allowing mathematical optimization to be used for the design. This technique depends on neither the network architecture nor the number of frequency bands. Therefore, simple and compact multi-band matching networks can be achieved. As proof of concept, a triple-band amplifier at 0.8, 1.8, and 2.4 GHz has been designed using the proposed method. The fabricated amplifier demonstrates maximum power added efficiencies of 70%, 60%, and 58% and output powers of 40 dBm, 41 dBm and 40 dBm for the three frequency bands, respectively. The presented design approach is highly suitable for the next generation of wireless systems.
2. Sessou, K. K. and N. M. Neihart, "An integrated 700–1200-MHz class-F PA with tunable harmonic terminations in 0.13-μm CMOS," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, 1315-1323, Apr. 2015.
3. Fukuda, A., H. Okazaki, S. Narahashi, and T. Nojima, "Concurrent multi-band power amplifier employing multi-section impedance transformer," 2011 IEEE Topical Conference on Power Amplifiers for Wireless and Radio Applications (PAWR), 37-40, Jan. 2011.
4. Colantonio, P., F. Giannini, R. Giofre, and L. Piazzon, "A design technique for concurrent dualband harmonic tuned power amplifier," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, 2545-2555, Nov. 2008.
5. Giofre, R., P. Colantonio, F. Giannini, and L. Piazzon, "A new design strategy for multi frequencies passive matching networks," 2007 European Microwave Conference, 838-841, Oct. 2007.
6. Negra, R., A. Sadeve, S. Bensmida, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Concurrent dual-band class-F load coupling network for applications at 1.7 and 2.14 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 55, 259-263, Mar. 2008.
7. Carrubba, V., S. Maroldt, M. Muer, H. Walcher, F. Van Raay, R. Quay, O. Ambacher, D. Wiegner, U. Seyfried, T. Bohn, and A. Pascht, "Realization of a 30-W highly efficient and linear reconfigurable dual-band power amplifier using the continuous mode approach," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 6, No. 2, 115-128, 2014.
8. Fu, X., D. T. Bespalko, and S. Boumaiza, "Novel dual-band matching network for effective design of concurrent dual-band power amplifiers," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 61, 293-301, Jan. 2014.
9. Arabi, E., P. D. Falco, J. Birchall, K. Morris, and M. Beach, "Design of a triple-band power amplifier using a genetic algorithm and the continuous mode method," IEEE Radio Wireless Week, Feb. 2017.
10. Cripps, S. C., P. J. Tasker, A. L. Clarke, J. Lees, and J. Benedikt, "On the continuity of high efficiency modes in linear RF power amplifiers," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, 665-667, Oct. 2009.
11. Cripps, S. C., Advanced Techniques in RF Power Amplifier Design, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2002.
12. Ozen, M., R. Jos, and C. Fager, "Continuous class-E power amplifier modes," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 59, 731-735, Nov. 2012.
13. Gu, L., W. Che, S. Chen, M. Zhang, Q. Cai, and Q. Xue, "Dual-band GaN power amplifiers with novel DC biasing networks incorporating offset DSPSL," 2015 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications (IMWS-AM, 1-4, Jul. 2015.
14. Xuan, A. N. and R. Negra, "Design of concurrent multiband biasing networks for multiband RF power amplifiers," 2012 42nd European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1-4, Oct. 2012.
15. Salomon, R., "Evolutionary algorithms and gradient search: Similarities and differences," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 2, 45-55, Jul. 1998.
16. Pang, J., S. He, C. Huang, Z. Dai, C. Li, and J. Peng, "A novel design of concurrent dual-band high efficiency power amplifiers with harmonic control circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, 137-139, Feb. 2016.
17. Chen, P., S. He, X. Wang, and Z. Dai, "1.7/2.6GHz high-efficiency concurrent dual-band power amplifier with dual-band harmonic wave controlled transformer," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, 184-185, Jan. 2014.
18. Wang, Z. and C. W. Park, "Concurrent tri-band GaN HEMT power amplifier using resonators in both input and output matching networks," 2012 IEEE 13th Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON), 1-4, Apr. 2012.