In this paper, a novel microwave planar resonant sensor is designed and developed for simultaneous detection of permittivity and permeability of an unknown sample using a nondestructive technique. It takes advantage of two-pole filter topology where the interdigitated capacitor (IDC) and spiral inductor are used for placement of a sample with significant relative permittivity and permeability values. The developed sensor model has the potential for differentiating permittivity and permeability based on the odd mode and even mode resonant frequencies. It operates in the ISM (industrial, scientific and medical) frequency band of 2.2-2.8 GHz. The sensor is designed using the full wave electromagnetic solver, HFSS 13.0, and an empirical model is developed for the accurate calculation of complex permittivity and permeability of an unknown sample in terms of shifts in the resonant frequencies and transmission coefficients (S21) under loaded condition. The designed resonant sensor of size 44x24 mm2 is fabricated on a 1.6 mm FR4 substrate and tested, and corresponding numerical model is experimentally verified for various samples (e.g., magnetite, soft cobalt steel (SAE 1018), ferrite core, rubber, plastic and wood). Experimentally, it is found that complex permeability and permittivity measurement is possible with an average error of 2%.
2. Petcharoen, K. and A. Sirivat, "Synthesis and characterization of magnetite nanoparticles via the chemical co-precipitation method," Materials Science and Engineering: B, Vol. 177, No. 5, 421-427, 2012.
3. Ghosh Chaudhuri, R. and S. Paria, "Core/shell nanoparticles: Classes, properties, synthesis mechanisms, characterization, and applications," Chemical Reviews, Vol. 112, No. 4, 2373-2433, 2011.
4. Kim, J., A. Babajanyan, A. Hovsepyan, K. Lee, and B. Friedman, "Microwave dielectric resonator biosensor for aqueous glucose solution," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 79, No. 8, 086107, 2008.
5. Kim, Y.-I., Y. Park, and H. K. Baik, "Development of LC resonator for label-free biomolecule detection," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 143, No. 2, 279-285, 2008.
6. Chitty, G. W., R. H. Morrison, Jr., E. O. Olsen, J. G. Panagou, and P. M. Zavracky, "Resonant sensor and method of making same,", US Patent 4,764,244, August 16, 1988.
7. Akhter, Z. and M. J. Akhtar, "Free-space time domain position insensitive technique for simultaneous measurement of complex permittivity and thickness of lossy dielectric samples," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 65, No. 10, 2394-2405, 2016.
8. Zinal, S. and G. Boeck, "Complex permittivity measurements using TE/sub 11p/modes in circular cylindrical cavities," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 6, 1870-1874, 2005.
9. Ganguly, P., D. E. Senior, A. Chakrabarti, and P. V. Parimi, "Sensitive transmit receive architecture for body wearable RF plethysmography sensor," 2016 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1-4, 2016.
10. Zelenchuk, D. and V. Fusco, "Dielectric characterisation of PCB materials using substrate integrated waveguide resonators," 2010 European IEEE Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1583-1586, 2010.
11. Mikolaj, A. and A. F. Jacob, "Substrate integrated resonant near-field sensor for material characterization," 2010 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 628-631, 2010.
12. Lee, H.-J., J.-H. Lee, H.-S. Moon, I.-S. Jang, J.-S. Choi, J.-G. Yook, and H.-I. Jung, "A planar split-ring resonator-based microwave biosensor for label-free detection of biomolecules," Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Vol. 169, 26-31, 2012.
13. Withayachumnankul, W., K. Jaruwongrungsee, C. Fumeaux, and D. Abbott, "Metamaterialinspired multichannel thin-film sensor," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 12, No. 5, 1455-1458, 2012.
14. Horestani, A. K., C. Fumeaux, S. F. Al-Sarawi, and D. Abbott, "Displacement sensor based on diamond-shaped tapered split ring resonator," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 13, No. 4, 1153-1160, 2013.
15. Shafi, K. M., A. K. Jha, and M. J. Akhtar, "Improved planar resonant RF sensor for retrieval of permittivity and permeability of materials," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 17, No. 17, 5479-5486, 2017.
16. Ebrahimi, A., W. Withayachumnankul, S. Al-Sarawi, and D. Abbott, "High-sensitivity metamaterial-inspired sensor for microfluidic dielectric characterization," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 14, No. 5, 1345-1351, 2014.
17. Chen, C.-M., J. Xu, and Y. Yao, "SIW resonator humidity sensor based on layered black phosphorus," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 4, 249-251, 2017.
18. Varshney, P. K., N. K. Tiwari, and M. J. Akhtar, "SIW cavity based compact RF sensor for testing of dielectrics and composites," 2016 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 1-4, 2016.
19. Cui, Y., A. K. Kenworthy, M. Edidin, R. Divan, D. Rosenmann, and P. Wang, "Analyzing single giant unilamellar vesicles with a slotline-based RF nanometer sensor," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 64, No. 4, 1339-1347, 2016.
20. Amin, E.M. and N. C. Karmakar, "A passive RF sensor for detecting simultaneous partial discharge signals using time-frequency analysis," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 16, No. 8, 2339-2348, 2016.
21. Hettak, K., N. Dib, A.-F. Sheta, and S. Toutain, "A class of novel uniplanar series resonators and their implementation in original applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 9, 1270-1276, 1998.
22. Samavati, H., A. Hajimiri, A. R. Shahani, G. N. Nasserbakht, and T. H. Lee, "Fractal capacitors," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 33, No. 12, 2035-2041, 1998.
23. Yue, C. P., C. Ryu, J. Lau, T. H. Lee, and S. S.Wong, "A physical model for planar spiral inductors on silicon," International Electron Devices Meeting, 1996, IEDM’96, 155-158, 1996.
24. Chretiennot, T., D. Dubuc, and K. Grenier, "A microwave and microfluidic planar resonator for efficient and accurate complex permittivity characterization of aqueous solutions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 2, 972-978, 2013.
25. Bojanic, R., V. Milosevic, B. Jokanovic, F. Medina-Mena, and F. Mesa, "Enhanced modelling of split-ring resonators couplings in printed circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 8, 1605-1615, 2014.
26. Facer, G., D. Notterman, and L. Sohn, "Dielectric spectroscopy for bioanalysis: From 40Hz to 26.5GHz in a microfabricated wave guide," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 78, No. 7, 996-998, 2001.
27. Altunyurt, N., M. Swaminathan, P. M. Raj, and V. Nair, "Antenna miniaturization using magnetodielectric substrates," 59th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 2009, ECTC 2009, 801-808, 2009.
28. Han, K., M. Swaminathan, P.M. Raj, H. Sharma, K. Murali, R. Tummala, and V. Nair, "Extraction of electrical properties of nanomagnetic materials through meander-shaped inductor and inverted-F antenna structures," 2012 IEEE 62nd Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC), 1808-1813, 2012.
29. Kim, J. W., "Development of interdigitated capacitor sensors for direct and wireless measurements of the dielectric properties of liquids,", https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/handle/2152/10565, 2008.
30. Hong, J.-S. G. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Vol. 167, John Wiley & Sons, 2004.
31. Jenei, S., B. K. Nauwelaers, and S. Decoutere, "Physics-based closed-form inductance expression for compact modeling of integrated spiral inductors," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 37, No. 1, 77-80, 2002.
32. Asgaran, S., "New accurate physics-based closed-form expressions for compact modeling and design of on-chip spiral inductors," The 14th International Conference on IEEE Microelectronics, 2002- ICM, 247-250, 2002.
33. Fooks, E. H. and R. A. Zakarevicius, Microwave Engineering Using Microstrip Circuits, Prentice- Hall, Inc., 1990.
34. Smith, D. and D. Schurig, "Electromagnetic wave propagation in media with indefinite permittivity and permeability tensors," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 90, No. 7, 077405, 2003.
35. Ishimaru, A., Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media, Vol. 2, 1978.
36. Garg, R., I. Bahl, and M. Bozzi, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, Artech House, 2013.
37. Baker-Jarvis, J., E. J. Vanzura, and W. A. Kissick, "Improved technique for determining complex permittivity with the transmission/reflection method," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 38, No. 8, 1096-1103, 1990.
38. Cuenca, J. A., K. Bugler, S. Taylor, D. Morgan, P. Williams, J. Bauer, and A. Porch, "Study of the magnetite to maghemite transition using microwave permittivity and permeability measurements," Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, Vol. 28, No. 10, 106002, 2016.
39. Tokpanov, Y., V. Lebedev, and W. Pellico, "Measurements of magnetic permeability of soft steel at high frequencies," Proceedings of IPAC-2012, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 2012.
40. Van Dam, R. L., J. M. Hendrickx, N. J. Cassidy, R. E. North, M. Dogan, and B. Borchers, "Effects of magnetite on high-frequency ground-penetrating radar," Geophysics, Vol. 78, No. 5, H1-H11, 2013.
41. Kaye, G. W. C. and T. H. Laby, Tables of Physical and Chemical Constants: And Some Mathematical Functions, Longmans, Green and Company, 1921.
42. Bapna, P. and S. Joshi, "Measurement of dielectric properties of various marble stones of Mewar region of Rajasthan at X-band microwave frequencies," International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT), Vol. 2, 180-186, 2013.
43., , Dielectric Constant, Strength, & Loss Tangent, 2006.