A new type of three-dimensional (3D) Frequency Selective Surfaces (FSS) applied to passive sensing in Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) is presented. Such passive FSS sensors are proposed as an alternative to conventional sensors to eliminate the need of DC/AC power. Moreover, these FSSs are modified in a 3D form to feature enhanced performance compared to conventional FSSs and sensors. More specifically, the proposed 3D FSS is able to control its sensitivity |S21| in either TE or TM incident waves. In this project, incident angle characteristics are evaluated for SHM applications to obtain angular responses of up to 80 degrees. The resonant behavior of the TE-incident wave is shown to be sensitive towards the incident angle and is suitable to be used for monitoring any building tilting and damage. This is due to the significant 3D length changes of the conductor elements. Meanwhile, the TM-incident wave is found to be insensitive towards the incident angle.
2. Jiang, X., Y. Tang, and Y. Lei, "Wireless sensor networks in structural health monitoring based on ZigBee technology," 3rd Int. Conf. Anti-counterfeiting, Secur. Identif. Commun., 449-452, 2009.
3. Tan, A. C., M. Kaphle, and D. Thambiratnam, "Structural health monitoring of bridges using acoustic emission technology," 2009 8th Int. Conf. Reliab. Maintainab. Saf., No. C, 839-843, 2009.
4. Lovejoy, S. C., "Acoustic emission testing of beams to simulate SHM of vintage reinforced concrete deck girder highway bridges," Struct. Heal. Monit., Vol. 7, No. 4, 329-346, 2008.
5. Lopez-Higuera, J. M., L. Rodriguez Cobo, A. Quintela Incera, and A. Cobo, "Fiber optic sensors in structural health monitoring," J. Light. Technol., Vol. 29, No. 4, 587-608, 2011.
6. Pieper, D., K. M. Donnell, O. Abdelkarim, and M. A. ElGawady, "Embedded FSS sensing for structural health monitoring of bridge columns," IEEE Int. Instrum. Meas. Technol. Conf. Proceeding, 1-5, 2016.
7. Pavia, J. P., W. J. Otter, S. Lucyszyn, and M. A. Ribeiro, "Design of a THz-MEMS frequency selective surface for structural health monitoring," International Conference on Meta, 2016.
8. Jang, S.-D. and J. Kim, "Wireless structural sensor made with frequency selective surface antenna," Proc. SPIE — Int. Soc. Opt. Eng., Vol. 8344, 1-7, 2012.
9. Suhaimi, S. A., S. N. Azemi, and S. P. Jack, "Structural health monitoring system using 3D frequency selective surface," IEEE Asia-Pacific Conf. Appl. Electromagn., 145-149, 2016.
10. Azemi, S. N., K. Ghorbani, and W. S. T. Rowe, "3D frequency selective surfaces with wideband response," Int. Work. Antenna Technol. Small Antennas, Nov. EM Struct. Mater. Appl. 2014, 212-215, IEEE, 2014.
11. Zheng, S. F., Y. Z. Yin, H. L. Zheng, Z. Y. Liu, and A. F. Sun, "Convoluted and interdigitated hexagon loop unit cells for frequency selective surfaces," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 4, 233, 2011.
12. Fauzi, N. A.M., M. Z. A. A. Aziz, M. A.M. Said, M. A.Othman, and B. H. Ahmad, "Investigation of impedance modeling for a unit cell of the circle loop frequency selective surface at 2.40Hz," IEEE Int. Conf. Control Syst. Comput. Eng., 28-30, Nov. 2014.
13. Ratnaratorn, C., C. Mahatthanajatuphat, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Gain enhancement for multiband antenna with frequency selective fractal surface reflector," Proc. Asia Pacific Microw. Conf. 2014, Vol. 714–716, 6-8, 2014.
14. Lee, Y. S., F. Malek, and F. H. Wee, "Investigate FSS structure effect on WiFi signal," 5th IET Int. Conf. Wireless, Mob. Multimed. Networks (ICWMMN 2013), 331-334, Beijing, 2013.
15. Seman, F. C. and N. K. Khalid, "Investigations on fractal square loop FSS at oblique incidence for GSM applications," 2014 Electr. Power, Electron. Commun. Control. Informatics Semin. Investig., 62-66, 2014.
16. Aziz, M. Z. A. A., M. M. Shukor, B. H. Ahmad, M. K. Suaidi, M. F. Johar, M. A. Othman, S. N. Salleh, F. A. Azmin, and M. F. A. Malek, "Investigation of a square loop frequency selective surface (FSS) on hybrid material at 2.4GHz," Proc. — 2013 IEEE Int. Conf. Control Syst. Comput. Eng. ICCSCE, 275-278, 2013.
17. Hong, J. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave, Vol. 7, 2001.
18. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "An equivalent circuit model of frequency selective surfaces embedded within dielectric layers," 2009 IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp. Charleston, No. 1, 0-3, SC, 2009.
19. Ferreira, D., R. F. S. Caldeirinha, I. Cuinas, and T. R. Fernandes, "Square loop and slot frequency selective surfaces study for equivalent circuit model optimization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 9, 3947-3955, 2015.
20. Sung, G. H., K. W. Sowerby, M. J. Neve, and A. G. Williamson, "Frequency-selective wall for interference reduction in wireless indoor environments," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 48, No. 5, 29-37, 2006.
21. Hamdy, S. and E. Parker, "Current distribution on the elements of a square loop frequency selective surface," Electron. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 14, 624-626, 1982.
22. Azemi, S. N. and W. S. T. Rowe, "Development and analysis of 3D frequency selective surfaces," 2011 Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf. Proc., 693-696, 2011.
23. Azemi, S. N., K. Ghorbani, and W. S. T. Rowe, "3D frequency selective surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 29, 191-203, 2012.
24. Erdogan, L., C. Akyel, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Dielectric properties of oil sands at 2.45 GHz determined by a rectangular cavity resonator," J. Microw. Power Electromagn. Energy, Vol. 45, No. 1, 15-23, 2011.