This paper describes a compact triple-band monopole antenna based on metamaterial inspired Open Complementary Split Ring Resonators (OCSRRs) for Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) and Worldwide interoperability Microwave Access (WiMAX) applications. The monopole antenna with engraved ground plane is used to cover WLAN frequencies (2.67 GHz and 5.47 GHz). The resonant frequency of WiMAX (3.43 GHz) is achieved by introducing metamaterial inspired OCSRR in the monopole antenna. To realize good impedance matching, one more OCSRR is introduced in the monopole antenna. This paper includes the pass band characteristics of OCSRRs as well as negative permittivity details. The prototype antenna is fabricated on an FR-4 substrate having dimension of 29.4 × 26 × 1.6 mm3. Simulated and measured results are shown in good equivalence. The dipole radiation pattern is obtained in the elevation plane (E-Plane), and omnidirectional radiation pattern is obtained in the azimuthal plane (H-Plane). Parametric analysis of OCSRRs is studied to attain the best results. The proposed antenna has adequate advantages, including compact size, multiband, and impedance matching.
2. Kunwar, A., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Design of a compact U-shaped slot triple band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 71, 82-88, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.aeue.2016.10.013.
3. Kumar, R., P. Naidu V, and V. Kamble, "A compact asymmetric slot dual band antenna fed by CPW for PCS and UWB applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer- Aided Engineering, Vol. 25, 243-254, 2015, doi: 10.1002/mmce.20855.
4. Nair, S. M., V. A. Shameena, C. M. Nijas, C. K. Aanandan, K. Vasudevan, and P. Mohanan, "Slot line fed dual-band dipole antenna for 2.4/5.2GHz WLAN applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 22, 581-587, 2012, doi: 10.1002/mmce.20609.
5. Zhao, H., L. Yan, X. Zhao, and K. Huang, "A compact tri-band patch antenna with notched ground for WLAN/WiMAX communication," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, 250-256, 2012, doi: 10.1080/09205071.2013.743498.
6. Herraiz-Mart´ınez, F. J., G. Zamora, F. Paredes, F. Martın, and J. Bonache, "Multiband printed monopole antennas loaded with OCSRRs for PANs and WLANs," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1528-1531, 2011, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2011.2181309.
7. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "A CPW-fed triple band OCSRR embedded monopole antenna with modified ground for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 2413-2418, 2015, doi: 10.1002/mop.29352.
8. Velez, A., F. Aznar, J. Bonache, M. C. Velazquez-Ahumada, J. Martel, and F. Martın, "Open complementary split ring resonators (OCSRRs) and their application to wideband CPW band pass filters," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, 197-199, 2009, doi: 10.1109/LMWC.2009.2015490.
9. Duran-Sindreu, M., A. Velez, F. Aznar, G. Siso, J. Bonache, and F. Martın, "Applications of open split ring resonators and open complementary split ring resonators to the synthesis of artificial transmission lines and microwave passive components," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, 3395-3403, 2009, doi: 10.1109/TMTT.2009.2033867.
10. Phani Kumar, K. V. and S. S. Karthikeyan, "Wideband three section branch line coupler using open complementary split ring resonator and open stubs," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, 1412-1416, 2015, doi: 10.1016/j.aeue.2015.06.003.
11. Basaran, S. C., U. Olgun, and K. Sertel, "Multiband monopole antenna with complementary split ring resonators for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, 636-368, 2013, doi: 10.1049/el.2013.0357.
12. Abdelrehim, A. A. A. and H. Ghafouri-Shiraz, "High performance patch antenna using circular split ring resonators and thin wires employing electromagnetic coupling improvement," Photonics and Nanostructures — Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 21, 19-31, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.photonics.2016.05.002.
13. Duran-Sindreu, M., F. Aznar, A. Velez, J. Bonache, and F. Martın, "Analysis and applications of OSRR and OCSRR loaded transmission lines: A new path for the design of compact transmission line metamaterials," Metamaterials, Vol. 4, 13-148, 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.metmat.2010.03.004.
14. Sharma, S. K., J. D. Mulchandani, D. Gupta, and R. K. Chaudhary, "Triple-band metamaterialinspired antenna using FDTD technique for WLAN/WiMAX applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 25, 688-695, 2015, doi: 10.1002/mmce.20907.
15. Imaculate Rosaline, S. and S. Raghavan, "Split ring loaded broadband monopole with SAR reduction," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 158-162, 2016, doi: 10.1002/mop.29519.
16. Rani, R. B. and S. K. Pandey, "CSRR inspired conductor backed CPW-fed monopole antenna for multiband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 70, 135-143, 2016.