A novel Vivaldi antenna utilizing a tapered slot edge with a stepped structure (TSESS) to achieve miniaturization is presented in this paper. Compared with a conventional Vivaldi antenna of the same size, the proposed TSESS significantly extends the low-end bandwidth limitation and also improves the low-end antenna gain and radiation characteristics. The proposed antenna is fabricated and tested for validating the reliability of the design. The measured results show reasonable agreement with simulated ones. Moreover, a good time-domain response is indicated from the measured group delay, showing that the antenna meets the requirements of a UWB system.
2. Marchais, C., G. L. Ray, and A. Sharaiha, "Stripline slot antenna for UWB communications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 319-322, 2006.
3. Wang, Z. D., Y. Z. Yin, J. J. Wu, and R. N. Lian, "A miniaturized CPW-fed antipodal Vivaldi antenna with ehanced radiation performance for wideband applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 16-19, 2015.
4. First Report and Order, "Revision of Part 15 of the Commission’s Rule Regarding Ultra-Wideband Transmission System FCC 02-48,", Federal Communications Commission, 2002.
5. Mehdipour, A., K. Mohammadpouraghdam, and R. Farajidana, "Complete dispersion analysis of Vivaldi antenna for ultra wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 85-96, 2007.
6. Ahmed, O. M. H. and A. R. Sebak, "A novel printed monopole antenna for future ultra-wideband communication systems," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 1837-1841, 2011.
7. Arya, A. K., R. S. Aziz, and S. O. Park, "Planar ultra-wideband printed wide-slot antenna using fork-like tuning stub," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, 550-551, 2015.
8. Gazit, E., "Improved design of the Vivaldi antenna," IEEE Proceedings H — Micros. Antennas Propag., Vol. 135, 89-92, 1988.
9. Yngvesson, K., T. Korzeniowski, Y. Kim, E. Kollberg, and J. Johansson, "The tapered slot antenna — A new integrated element for millimetre wave applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 37, 365-374, 1989.
10. Wu, J. N., Z. Q. Zhao, Z. P. Nie, and Q. H. Liu, "A printed UWB Vivaldi antenna using stepped connection structure between slot line and tapered patches," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 698-701, 2014.
11. Ma, K., Z. Q. Zhao, J. N. Wu, M. S. Ellis, and Z. P. Nie, "A printed Vivaldi antenna with improved radiation patterns by using two pairs of eye-shaped slots for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 63-71, 2014.
12. Fei, P., Y. C. Jiao, W. Hu, and F. S. Zhang, "A miniaturized antipodal Vivaldi antenna with improved radiation characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 127-130, 2011.
13. Liu, Y., W. Zhou, S. Yang, and P. Li, "A novel miniaturized Vivaldi antenna using tapered slot edge with resonant cavity structure for ultra-wide band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1881-1884, 2016.
14. Zhou, F., S. Gao, A. T. Ho, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "Miniaturized tapered slot antenna with signal rejection in 5–6-GHz band using a balun," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 507-510, 2012.
15. Zhang, J., S. F. Liu, F. Wang, Z. Yang, and X. W. Shi, "A compact high-gain Vivaldi antenna with improved radiation characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 68, 127-133, 2017.
16. Pandey, G. K., H. Verma, and M. K. Meshram, "Compact antipodal Vivaldi antenna for UWB applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, 308-310, 2015.
17. Zhu, F. G., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, and C. H. See, "Compact-size linearly tapered slot antenna for portable ultra-wideband imaging systems," International Journal RF. Microw. Computer, Vol. 23, 290-299, 2013.