This paper deals with the design and experiments of a dual-band circularly polarized rectenna at 1.85 and 2.45 GHz. It uses a single antenna and a single RF-to-dc rectifier. The circuit contains a dual-band circularly polarized antenna and a dual-band RF-to-dc rectifier based on a miniaturized 180° hybrid ring junction. The ring junction is used to independently match the sub-rectifiers at each frequency. The proposed rectenna was experimented with single-tone and multi-tone incident waves. It achieves more than 300 mV and 40 % efficiency, across a 4-kΩ resistive load, at very low power density of 1.13 µW/cm² at 1.85 GHz and 1.87 µW/cm² at 2.45 GHz. It also achieves more than 150 mV under the same load condition and in the critical case when receiving only one of the two frequency bands. It is dedicated to harvest RF energy in the GSM 1800 and the 2.45-GHz ISM bands, regardless the polarization angle of the incident waves.
2. Olgun, U., C.-C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "Design of an efficient ambient WiFi energy harvesting system," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 11, 1200-1206, Aug. 2012.
3. Takhedmit, H., L. Cirio, O. Picon, C. Vollaire, B. Allard, F. Costa, and O. Picon, "Design and characterization of an efficient dual patch rectenna for microwave energy recycling in the ISM band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 43, 93-108, 2013.
4. Takhedmit, H., L. Cirio, B. Merabet, B. Allard, F. Costa, C. Vollaire, and O. Picon, "Efficient 2.45GHz rectenna design including harmonic rejecting rectifier device," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 12, 811-812, Jun. 2010.
5. Takhedmit, H., L. Cirio, S. Bellal, D. Delcroix, and O. Picon, "Compact and efficient 2.45 GHz circularly polarised shorted ring-slot rectenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 5, 253-254, Mar. 2012.
6. Haboubi, W., H. Takhedmit, J. D. Lan Sun Luk, S. E. Adami, B. Allard, F. Costa, C. Vollaire, O. Picon, and L Cirio, "An efficient dual-circularly polarized rectenna for RF energy harvesting in the 2.45GHz ISM band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 31-3, 2014.
7., , French Radio-Frequency Agency ‘ANFR’, https://www.cartoradio.fr/cartoradio/web/.
8. Mikeka, C., H. Arai, A. Georgiadis, and A. Collado, "DTV band micropower RF energy-harvesting circuit architecture and performance analysis," IEEE Int. RFID-Technol. Appl. Conf., 561-567, 2011.
9. Song, C., Y. Huang, J. Zhou, J. Zhang, S. Yuan, and P. Carter, "A high-efficiency broadband rectenna for ambient wireless energy harvesting," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 8, 3486-3495, Aug. 2015.
10. Mimis, K., D. Gibbins, S. Dumanli, and G. T. Watkins, "Ambient RF energy harvesting trial in domestic settings," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 5, 454-462, Apr. 2015.
11. Masotti, D., A. Costanzo, M. Del Prete, and V. Rizzoli, "Genetic-based design of a tetra-band highefficiency radio-frequency energy harvesting system," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 15, 1254-1263, 2013.
12. Costanzo, F., F. Donzelli, D. Mazotti, and V. Rizzoli, "Rigorous design of RF multi-resonator power harvesters," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, Apr. 2010.
13. Hagerty, J. A., F. B. Helmbrecht, W. H. McCalpin, R. Zane, and Z. Popovic, "Recycling ambient microwave energy with broad-band rectenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 3, 1014-1024, Mar. 2004.
14. Heikkinen, J. and M. Kivikovski, "A novel dual-frequency circularly polarized rectenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 2, No. 1, 330-333, 2003.
15. Ren, Y. J., M. F. Farooqui, and K. Chang, "A compact dual-frequency rectifying antenna with high-order harmonic-rejection," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 7, 2110-2113, Jul. 2007.
16. Suh, Y. H. and K. Chang, "A high-efficiency dual-frequency rectenna for 2.45- and 5.8-GHz wireless power transmission," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 7, 1784-1789, Jul. 2002.
17. Chen, L. T., J. F. Tsai, M. J. Hou, and J. S. Row, "Dual-band circularly polarized annular ring slot antenna," Proceedings of Microwave Conference (APMC), 46-48, Dec. 2012.
18. Chuang, M. L. and M. T. Wu, "Miniaturized ring coupler using multiple open stubs," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, No. 5, 379-383, Jul. 2004.
19., , Datasheet: “Surface mount mixer and detector Schottky diodes Skyworks,” http:/www.skyworksinc.com.
20. Takhedmit, H., L. Cirio, B. Merabet, B. Allard, F. Costa, C. Vollaire, and O. Picon, "A 2.45-GHz dual-diode rectenna and rectenna arrays for wireless remote supply applications," Intern. Journal of Microw. and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 3, No. 3, 251-258, Jun. 2011.