In this paper a compact wideband aperture coupled microstrip patch antenna (MPA) with impedance bandwidth of 26.3% is designed. Size reduction of the radiating element and the slot in the ground plane is achieved by incorporating an interdigital capacitor (IDC) in the patch and a complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) close to the slot which offers composite right/left-hand (CRLH) antenna. An interdigital capacitor in the patch acts as series left-hand component, and the slot together with the CSRR in the ground plane acts as a left-hand parallel inductor. By this technique, the patch and slot dimensions compared with the initial designed antenna are reduced about 26.2% and 30.2%, respectively. Through cutting CSRRs with different arrangements in the ground plane, a dual frequency band antenna is designed. Finally, a compact wideband circularly-polarized (CP) MPA is proposed through imposing various perturbations in the current route in the ground plane of the antenna. The maximum gain and the impedance bandwidth of the designed CP antenna are 8.4 dBi and 25%, respectively. Two designed antennas are fabricated and tested. The measurement results confirm the simulation ones.
2. Pozar, D. M., "A review of aperture coupled microstrip antennas: history, operation, development, and applications,", Internet Archive of Univ. Massachusetts at Amherst, May 1996, archived at http:/www.ecs.umass/ece/pozar/aperture.pdf.
3. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antenna, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 2002.
4. Guha, D. and Y. M. M. Antar, Microstrip and Printed Antennas New Trends, Techniques and Applications, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 2011.
5. Maza, A. R., B. Cook, G. Jabbour, and A. Shamim, "Paper-based inkjet-printed ultra-wideband fractal antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 12, 1366-1373, 2012.
6. Malekpoor, H. and S. Jam, "Ultra-wideband shorted patch antennas fed by folded-patch with multi resonances," Progress In Electromagnetics research B, Vol. 44, 309-326, 2012.
7. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Metamaterial-based antenna," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2271-2285, 2012.
8. Ha, G., K. Kwon, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Hybrid mode wideband patch antenna loaded with a planar metamaterial unit cell," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1143-1147, 2012.
9. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2403-2414, 2004.
10. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Explorations, Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, 2006.
11. Sindreu, M. D., J. Naqui, F. Paredes, J. Bonache, and F. Martin, "Electrically small resonators for planar metamaterial, microwave circuit and antenna design: A comparative analysis," Journal of Applied Science, Vol. 2, 375-395, 2012.
12. Qin, P. Y., A. R. Weily, Y. J. Guo, and C. H. Liang, "Polarization reconfigurable U-slot patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 10, 3385-3388, 2010.
13. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Compact circularly-polarized patch antenna loaded with metamaterial structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 11, 4329-4333, 2011.
14. Vargas, D. S., F. J. H. Martinez, E. V. Munoz, L. E. G. Munoz, and V. G. Posadas, "Quad frequency linearly-polarized and dual frequency circularly-polarized microstrip patch antennas with CRLH loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 91-115, 2013.
15. Cao, W. Q., "Compact dual band dual mode circular patch antenna with broadband unidirectional linearly polarized and omnidirectional circularly polarized characteristics," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 2, 223-229, 2016.
16. Chen, C., Z. Li, L. Liu, J. Xu, P. Ning, B. Xu, X. Chen, and C. Gu, "A circularly-polarized metasurfaced dipole antenna with wide axial-ratio beamwidth and RCS reduction function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 154, 79-85, 2015.
17. Lai, H. W., K. M. Mak, and K. F. Chan, "Novel aperture-coupled microstrip-line feed for circularly polarized patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 1-9, 2014.
18. Thi, T. N., S. T. Van, G. Kwon, and K. C. Hwang, "Single-feed triple band circularly polarized Spidron fractal slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 207-221, 2013.
19. Chen, L., X. Ren, Y. Yin, and Z.Wang, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized antenna with an irregular slot for 2.45 GHz RFID reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 41, 77-86, 2013.
20. Pirhadi, A., H. Bahrami, and J. Nasri, "Wideband high directive aperture coupled microstrip antenna design by using a FSS superstrate layer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 2101-2106, 2012.
21. Skolnik, M. I., Introduction to Radar Systems, McGraw-Hill, 2001.
22. Hsu, S. and K. Chang, "A novel reconfigurable microstrip antenna with switchable circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 160-162, 2007.