This paper presents the design and fabrication of a coplanar waveguide (CPW) rectenna using a sequential modular approach. The rectenna is printed on high permittivity, low-loss board ARLON AD1000 (εr = 10.35 and tanδ = 0.0023 @ 10 GHz). The rectier section is realized with a single reverse-biased schottky diode SMS-7630 in reverse topology for which a diode model is obtained at -20 dBm for frequencies F0 = 2.45 GHz and 2F0= 4.9 GHz. The low-pass lter and the impedance matching are synthesized from passive CPW structures. Co-simulation technique is used to overcome CPW simulation limitation and to integrate the diode characteristic. The antenna consists of a circular slot loop antenna with stub matching such that its input impedance is close to 50 Ω. The goal of this work is to design a rectifier to simplify and speed up the fabrication process of a rectenna array. We reduced the number of processes to etch the rectifier on the board and minimized the number of lumped elements. At -20 dBm, simulation of the rectifier with an ideal impedance matching network shows rectification at 2.45 GHz with efficiency of 12.8%. The rectifier and rectenna shows efficiency of approximately 10% at an operating frequency of 2.48 GHz.
2. Bhushan, N., J. Li, D. Malladi, R. Gilmore, D. Brenner, A. Damnjanovic, R. T. Sukhavasi, C. Patel, and S. Geirhofer, "Network densification: The dominant theme for wireless evolution into 5G," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, 82-89, 2014.
3. Lu, P., X. S. Yang, J. L. Li, and B. Z. Wang, "A polarization-reconfigurable rectenna for microwave power transmission," iWAT IEEE, 120-122, 2015.
4. Monti, G., L. Gorchia, and L. Tarricone, "ISM band rectenna using a ring loaded monopole," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 2012.
5. Nurzaimah, Z., Z. Zahriladha, A. Maisarah, M. S. Jawad, and M. M. Yunus, "Comparative study of antenna designs with harmonic suppression for wireless power transfer," World Applied Sciences Journal, Vol. 33, 380-392, 2015.
6. Nie, M. J., X. X. Yang, G. N. Tan, and B. Han, "A compact 2.45-GHz broadband rectenna using grounded coplanar waveguide," AWPL, Vol. 14, 986-989, 2015.
7. Georgiadis, A., A. Collado, S. Via, and C. Meneses, "Flexible hybrid solar/EM energy harvester for autonomous sensors," MTT-S, 1-4, 2011.
8. Huang, Y. C., G.-P. Pan, T. L. Li, and J. S. Sun, "Polarized rectenna for wireless power transmission," APEMC, 1-4, 2015.
9. Riviere, J., A. Douyere, and J. D. Lan Sun Luk, "Analyse des performances dun rseau de rectennas miniatures pour la tl-alimentation de dispositifs faible consommation," JNM, 2015.
10. SKYWORKS, "Surface mount mixer and detector schottky diodes,", 2013.
11. AGILENT, "Applying the 8510 TRL calibration for non-coaxial measurements,", Product Note 8510-8A.
12. Adami, S. E., D. Zhu, L. Yi, E. Mellios, B. H. Stark, and S. Beeby, "2.45 GHz rectenna screenprinted on polycotton for on-body RF power transfer and harvesting," IEEE, ISBN 978-1-4673-7447-7, 2015.
13. Zhu, N., K. Chang, M. Tuo, P. Jin, H. Hao, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Design of a high-efficiency rectenna for 1.575GHz wireless low power transmission," RWS, 90-93, 2011.
14. Harouni, Z., L. Osman, and A. Gharsallah, "Efficient 2.45 GHz rectenna design with high harmonics rejection for wireless power transmission," IJCSI, Vol. 7, 2010.
15. Schaefer, R., "Challenges and solutions for removing fixture effects in multi-port measurements,", DesignCon, 2008.
16. Emerson, D. T. and A. R. Thompson, "Relative sensitivity of full-wave and half-wave detectors in radiometry," Radio SCi., Vol. 38, 2003.
17. Garg, R., I. Bahl, and M. Bozzi, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, 3rd Ed., 420, 2013.
18. Wang, S. N. and N. W. Chen, "Compact, ultra-broadband coplanar waveguide bandpass filter with excellent stopband rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 15-18, 2009.
19. Simons, R. N., Coplanar Waveguide Circuits, Components, and System, Wiley Series in Microwave and Optical Engineering, ISBN 978-0-471-16121-9, 2001.
20., , ROHDE & SCHWARZ, RF Signal Generator R&S SM300, 2007.
21. Riviere, J., A. Douyere, and J. D. Lan Sun Luk, "Design of a CPW fed circular slot loop antenna for DF/DC rectifier at low power level," Radio, 2016.