This paper talks about a simple printed reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio. This antenna can be switched between ultra-wideband (UWB) and two other narrow bands. To achieve frequency reconfigurability, horizontal slots are inserted in the partial ground plane, and their lengths are varied by using ideal switches. These switches are incorporated so that they can be turned ON/OFF independently. The proposed antenna is suitable for cognitive radio as it is capable of sensing whole UWB from 3.1 GHz to 10.6 GHz (7.5 GHz bandwidth) and switching between two different narrow bands viz. 3.1 GHz and 8.23 GHz, and the corresponding observed gain and radiation pattern are also as per the requirement.
2. Christodoulou, C. G., Y. Tawk, S. A. Lane, and S. R. Erwin, "Reconfigurable antennas for wireless and space applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2250-2261, Jul. 2012.
3., , FCC 1st Report and Order on Ultra-Wideband Technology, Feb. 2002.
4. Patel, K. R. and R. Kulkarni, "Ultra-wideband wireless system," International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management, 2014, ISSN 2319-4847.
5. Khan, R., et al., "Reconfigurable UWB monopole antenna for cognitive radio applications," 2016 International Conference on Computing, Electronic and Electrical Engineering (ICE Cube), 59-62, Quetta, 2016.
6. Abbas, S. M., K. P. Esselle, Y. Ranga, and P. Y. Qin, "Reconfigurable antennas with narrowband and ultra-wideband modes," 2015 IEEE MTT-S 2015 International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Appli, 56-57, Taipei, 2015.
7. Gupta, C., D. Maheshwari, R. K. Saraswat, and M. Kumar, "A UWB frequency-band reconfigurable antenna using switchable slotted ground structure," 2014 Fourth International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies, 20-24, Bhopal, 2014.
8. Aboufoul, T., A. Alomainy, and C. Parini, "Reconfiguring UWB monopole antenna for cognitive radio applications using GaAs FET switches," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 392-394, 2012.
9. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 2002.
10. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, INC, 2005.