A broadband right-hand circularly polarized (RHCP) cross-type traveling wave antenna array is proposed for High-Rate Close Proximity (HRCP) point-to-point (P2P) wireless communication system at 60 GHz. Instead of low temperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC) technology, a single-layer structure of the proposed 2x1 element antenna array is fabricated with a conventional printed circuit board (PCB) process, to provide low manufacturing cost and low profile (0.05 λ0 at 60 GHz). A wide impedance bandwidth (57-64 GHz, VSWR < 2) and broad RHCP bandwidth (57-64 GHz, axial ratio (AR) < 3 dB) are achieved. The RHCP gain is higher than 6 dBic in the entire operating frequency band (57-64 GHz).
2. Wells, J., Multi-Gigabit Microwave and Millimeter-Wave Wireless Communications, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2010.
3. Li, Y. and K. M. Luk, "60-GHz substrate integrated waveguide fed cavity-backed aperture-coupled microstrip patch antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 1075-1085, Mar. 2015.
4. Lamminen, A., J. Saily, and A. Vimpari, "60-GHz patch antennas and arrays on LTCC with embedded-cavity substrates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2865-2874, Sep. 2008.
5. Xu, J., Z. N. Chen, X. Qing, and W. Hong, "Bandwidth enhancement for a 60GHz substrate integrated waveguide fed cavity array antenna on LTCC," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 3, 826-832, Mar. 2011.
6. Sun, H., Y. X. Guo, and Z. Wang, "60-GHz circularly polarized U-slot patch antenna array on LTCC," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 1, 430-435, Jan. 2013.
7. Wang, L., Y. X. Guo, and W. X. Sheng, "Wideband high-gain 60-GHz LTCC L-probe patch antenna array with a soft surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 4, 1802-1809, Apr. 2013.
8. Guntupalli, A. B. and K. Wu, "60-GHz circularly polarized antenna array made in low-cost fabrication process," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 864-867, Apr. 2014.
9. Li, M. and K. M. Luk, "A low-profile unidirectional printed antenna for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1232-1237, Mar. 2014.
10. Yoon, Y. and B. Lee, "A cavity-backed traveling wave antenna for tri-band GPS applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1454-1457, May 2016.
11. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
12. Ho, T. Q. and Y. C. Shih, "Spectral-domain analysis of E-plane waveguide to microstrip transitions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 37, No. 2, 388-392, Feb. 1989.
13. Shih, Y. C., T. N. Ton, and L. Q. Bui, "Waveguide-to-microstrip transitions for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 473-475, 1988.