A simple but efficient method is investigated for predicting electromagnetic interference between antennas on vehicles. By modeling the vehicle body with a conducting wedge, the geometrical optics and uniform theory of diffraction are used to predict the interference power. Comparisons show that the interference power can be accurately predicted with only four dominating rays taken into account. The presented method is validated by measurements in typical environments. A further investigation of various parameters considered in predictions is also presented. Based on the proposed method, the interference power can be easily predicted just in MATLAB instead of the time-consuming full-wave simulation of the entire large-scale structure.
2. Wang, H., V. Khilkevich, Y. J. Zhang, and J. Fan, "Estimating radio-frequency interference to an antenna due to near-field coupling using decomposition method based on reciprocity," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1125-1131, 2013.
3. Gao, S. P., H. Zhao, H. W. Deng, B. F. Wang, and W. J. Zhao, "Estimating interference to airborne patch antenna with limited information," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 58, No. 2, 631-634, 2016.
4. Harris, J. M. and R. J. Levin, "Far-field techniques for predicting aircraft antenna coupling," IEEE 1992 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 112-115, 1992.
5. Frid, H., H. Holter, and B. L. G. Jonsson, "An approximate method for calculating the near-field mutual coupling between line-of-sight antennas on vehicles," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propag., Vol. 63, No. 9, 4132-4138, 2015.
6. Yang, B., C. R., Birtcher, and C. A. Balanis, "The effects of passengers on mutual coupling in a simplified fuselage: Simulations and measurements," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat.,, Vol. 50, No. 3, 751-755, 2008.
7. Zhou, Q., Y. J. Xie, and Z. Chen, "Prediction of equipment-to-equipment coupling through antennas mounted on an aircraft," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 5, 653-663, 2007.
8. Chen, Z., Y. Xie, R. Yang, J. Li, and J. Zhang, "A new approach for prediction of the mutual coupling between antennas on a complex platform," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8–9, 1205-1213, 2008.
9. Michael, L. B. and M. Nakagawa, "Interference characteristics in inter-vehicle communication from oncoming vehicles," IEEE VTS 50th Vehicular Technology Conference, 1999, VTC 1999 — Fall, 753-757, 1999.
10. Schipper, T., S. Prophet, M. Harter, L. Zwirello, and T. Zwick, "Simulative prediction of the interference potential between radars in common road scenarios," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 57, No. 3, 322-328, 2015.
11. Kouyoumjian, R. G. and P. H. Pathak, "A uniform geometrical theory of diffraction for an edge in a perfectly conducting surface," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, No. 11, 1448-1461, 1974.
12. Parson, J. D., The Mobile Radio Propagation Channel, 2nd Ed., Wiley, NY, 2000.
13., , FEKO: Version 7.0.1, [Online], Available: https://www.feko.info/.
14. Ulaby, F. T., E. Michielssen, and U. Ravaioli, Fundamentals of Applied Electromagnetics, 6th Ed., Prentice Hall, Boston, Massachussetts, 2010.
15. Xia, H., H. L. Bertoni, L. R. Maciel, A. Lindsay-Stewart, and R. Rowe, "Radio propagation characteristics for line-of-sight microcellular and personal communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 41, No. 10, 1439-1447, 1993.