In this paper, Gysel type Unbalanced-to-Balanced (UTB) Power Divider (PD) with arbitrary power division is proposed. UTB PD is a five-port device, and a standard scattering matrix for a five-port PD with arbitrary power division isderived. Design equations are obtained analytically. Using design equations, a UTB PD is designed at 2 GHz for power division ratio of 1:2, and simulation is carried out using HFSS. A prototype is fabricated, and measurement is performed to verify the simulation results of PD. Measured results are in good agreement with the simulated ones. The proposed PD shows in-phase characteristic within ±5◦. Measurement results show that isolation between two output ports is greater than 20 dB. Greater than 20 dB common-mode suppression from input port to output balanced ports is achieved. Differential-mode power is divided in power division ratio of 1:2 from unbalanced port to balanced ports. Measured fractional bandwidth of the proposed PD is 21%.
2. Xia, B., L. S. Wu, S. W. Ren, and J. F. Mao, "A balanced-to-balanced power divider with arbitrary power division," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, 2831-2840, Aug. 2013.
3. Wu, L. S., Y. X. Guo, and J. F. Mao, "Balanced-to-balanced gysel power divider with bandpass filtering response," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, 4052-4062, Dec. 2013.
4. Wilkinson, E. J., "An n-way hybrid power divider," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 8, 116-118, Jan. 1960.
5. Gysel, U. H., "A new n-way power divider/combiner suitable for high-power applications," 1975 IEEE-MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 116-118, May 1975.
6. Wang, K. X., X. Y. Zhang, and B. J. Hu, "Gysel power divider with arbitrary power ratios and filtering responses using coupling structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, 431-440, Mar. 2014.
7. Sun, Z., L. Zhang, Y. Yan, and H. Yang, "Design of unequal dual-band gysel power divider with arbitrary termination resistance," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, 1955-1962, Aug. 2011.
8. Du, Y. L. M., H. Peng, and W. Zhou, "A miniaturized gysel power divider/combiner using planar artificial transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 51, 79-86, 2014.
9. Fartookzadeh, S. H. M. A. M. and M. Kazerooni, "A novel 180◦ hybrid based on the modified gysel power divider," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 209-222, 2012.
10. Shahi, H. and H. Shamsi, "Compact wideband gysel power dividers with harmonic suppression and arbitrary power division ratios," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 79, 16-25, 2017.
11. Wang, X., K. L. Wu, and W. Y. Yin, "A compact gysel power divider with unequal power-dividing ratio using one resistor," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, 1480-1486, Jul. 2014.
12. Chen, S., T. Zhang, T. Huang, and Y. Yu, "A planar out-of-phase power divider with unequal power dividing ratio," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 63, 37-43, 2016.
13. Xu, K., J. Shi, L. Lin, and J. X. Chen, "A balanced-to-unbalanced microstrip power divider with filtering function," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, 2561-2569, Aug. 2015.
14. Zhang, W., Y.Wu, Y. Liu, F. M. Ghannouchi, and A. Hasan, "A wideband balanced-to-unbalanced coupled-line power divider," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, 410-412, Jun. 2016.
15. Yadav, A. N. and R. Bhattacharjee, "Balanced to unbalanced out of phase equal power divider for wide-band application," 2016 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1-4, Dec. 2016.
16. Yadav, A. N. and R. Bhattacharjee, "Balanced to unbalanced power divider with arbitrary power ratio," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, 885-887, Nov. 2016.
17. Muralidharan, S., K. Wu, and M. Hella, "A compact low loss single-ended to two-way differential power divider/combiner," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, 103-105, Feb. 2015.
18. Yu, Y. and L. Sun, "A design of single-ended to differential-ended power divider for x band application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 11, 2669-2673, 2015.
19. Shi, J., K. Xu, W. Zhang, J. X. Chen, and G. Zhai, "An approach to 1-to-2n way microstrip balanced power divider," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 64, 4222-4231, Dec. 2016.
20. Zhang, W., Y. Liu, Y. Wu, A. Hasan, F. M. Ghannouchi, Y. Zhao, X. Du, and W. Chen, "Novel planar compact coupled-line single-ended-to-balanced power divider," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. PP, No. 99, 1-11, 2017.
21. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2001.