This paper presents a design and evaluation for a miniaturized ultra-wideband (UWB) printed monopole antenna. The design integrates a UWB printed bell-shaped monopole antenna with a short stub. This antenna improves the matched impedance in the lower frequency band by using the short stub structure. The proposed antenna is formed on a low-cost FR-4 dielectric substrate with the size: 28 x 20 x 1.6 mm3. The designed antenna operates with impedance bandwidth of 3.1~4.0 GHz. The omnidirectional radiation patterns are obtained over the frequency range. Calculation and measurement show that this antenna acquires broadband characteristics covering the required frequency band of UWB system. The proposed antenna is assumed for applying to UWB radar, etc.
2. Win, M. Z., D. Dardari, A. F. Molisch, W. Wiesbeck, and J. Zhang, "History and applications of UWB," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, Feb. 2009.
3. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide band planar monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, Feb. 1998.
4. Taniguchi, T. and T. Kobayashi, "An omnidirectional and low-VSWR antenna for the FCCapproved UWB frequency band," IEEE AP-S International Symp., Vol. 3, 460-463, Jun. 2003.
5. Kuramoto, A., "Flat type UWB antenna consisting of two kinds of elliptical elements located in parallel," IEICE Trans. Comm., Vol. 88-B, No. 9, 1710-1717, Sep. 2005 (in Japanese).
6. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, Nov. 2005.
7. Suh, S.-Y., W. L. Stutzman, and W. A. Davis, "A new ultrawide band printed monopole antenna: The planar inverted cone antenna (PICA)," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1361-1365, May 2004.
8. Lizzi, L., R. Azaro, G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Printed UWB antenna operating over multiple mobile wireless standards," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 10, 1429-1432, 2011.
9. Srifi, M. N., S. K. Podilchak, M. Essaaidi, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Planar circular disc monopole antennas using compact impedance matching networks for ulrta-wideband (UWB) applications," APMC 2009, 782-785, Dec. 2009.
10. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Investigation on UWB printed monopole antenna with rectangular slitted ground plane," Micro. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1585-1587, Jul. 2007.
11. Wong, K. L., C. H. Wu, and S. W. Su, "Ultrawide-band square planar metal-plate monopole antenna with a trident-shaped feeding strip," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1262-1269, Apr. 2005.
12. Zhang, C. and A. E. Fathy, "Development of and ultra-wideband elliptical disc planar monopole antenna with improved omni-directional performance using a modified ground," IEEE AP-S International Symp., 1689-1692, Jul. 2006.
13. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Cabedo-Fabres, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and A. Valero-Nogueira, "Wideband double-fed planar monopole antennas," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 23, 1635-1636, Nov. 2003.
14. Thomas, K. G., N. Lenin, and R. Sivaramakrishnan, "Ultrawideband planar disc monopole," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1339-1341, Apr. 2006.
15. Takemura, N., et al., "A study on broardband printed bell-shaped monopole antenna with short stub," ISAP2016, Oct. 2016.
16. Takemura, N., et al., "Design of UWB printed monopole antenna with short stub," EMC Europe 2016, 566-569, Sep. 2016.
17. Anguera, J., C. Puente, and C. Borja, "A procedure to design wide-band electromagneticallycoupled stacked microstrip antennas based on a simple network model," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 944-947, Orlando, USA, Jul. 1999.
18. Risco, S., J. Anguera, A. Andujar, A. Perez, and C. Puente, "Coupled monopole antenna design for multiband handset devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 10, 359-364, Feb. 2010.
19. Pele, I., A. Chousseaud, and S. Toutain, "Simultaneous modeling of impedance and radiation pattern antenna for UWB pulse modulation," IEEE AP-S International Symp., Vol. 2, 1871-1874, Jun. 2004.
20. Anguera, J., C. Puente, C. Borja, G. Font, and J. Soler, "A systematic method to design singlepatch broadband microstrip patch antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 3, 185-188, Nov. 2001.
21. Ahmed, O. and A. R. Sebak, "A printed monopole antenna with two steps and a circular slot for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 411-413, 2008.
22. Ahmed, O. M. H. and A. R. Sebak, "A novel maple-leaf shaped UWB antenna with a 5.0–6.0GHz band-notch characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 11, 39-49, 2009.
23. Azenui, N. C. and H. Y. D. Yang, "A printed crescent patch antenna for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 113-116, 2007.