A compact Ku-band bandpass filter (BPF) with wide pass-band, compact size and high selectively is presented. The presented BPF is composed of two quarter-wavelength resonators and a dual-mode resonator, resulting in a compact circuit size. The transmission zeros (TZs) located at the lower and upper stopband are achieved by the mixed electromagnetic (EM) coupling and dual-mode resonator, respectively, resulting in a high frequency selectively. The measured results show minimum in-band insertion loss, fractional bandwidth and variation of group delay to be 0.9 dB, 36.2% and 0.12 ns, respectively. Also, the stopband suppression is greater than 28 dB from 5 to 10.3 GHz and 30 dB from 19.5 to 29.5 GHz. The effective circuit size of the filter is 8.43×2.28 mm² (0.63 λg ×0.17 λg, where λg is the guide wavelength of 15.1 GHz.)
2. Chen, C. F., C. Y. Lin, J. H. Weng, and K. L. Tsai, "Compact microstrip broadband filter using multimode stub-loaded resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 8, 545-546, 2013.
3. Ouyang, Z. A. and Q. X. Chu, "An improved wideband balanced filter using internal cross-coupling and 3/4λ stepped-impedance resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 3, 156-158, 2016.
4. Shen, M. K., Z. H. Shao, C. J. You, and F. S. Ban, "Ku-band compact bandpass filter with wide upper stopband using multilayer LCP technology," Microw. Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1121-1125, 2015.
5. Xiao, J. K., M. Zhu, Y. Li, and J. G. Ma, "Coplanar waveguide bandpass filters with separated electric and magnetic couplings," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 2, 122-124, 2016.
6. Wang, H. and Q. X. Chu, "An inline coaxial quasi-elliptic filter with controllable mixed electric and magnetic coupling," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 3, 667-673, 2009.
7. Xiao, J.-K., M. Zhu, Y. Li, T. Li, and J.-G. Ma, "High selective microstrip bandpass filter and diplexer with mixed electromagnetic coupling," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 12, 781-783, 2015.
8. Yuan, S. L., X. B. Wei, G. T. Yue, and M. X. Zhang, "Cascaded fourth-order mixed-coupled bandpass filter with good frequency selectivity," International Workshop on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Circuits and System Technology, 229-232, 2013.
9. Xu, J., "Compact tunable wideband bandpass filter using mixed coupling lumped dual-mode resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 6, 714-720, 2016.
10. Xu, J., "Compact quasi-elliptic response wideband bandpass filter with four transmission zeros," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 3, 169-171, 2015.
11. Tang, S. C., J. T. Kuo, and S. J. Chung, "Bandwidth and transmission zero control for compact dual-mode resonator filter by extraction of EM coupling," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 661-663, 2012.
12. Xu, H. X., G. M.Wang, and C. X. Zhang, "Fractal-shaped UWB bandpass filter based on composite right/left handed transmission line," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 4, 285-286, 2010.
13. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, Z. M. Xu, X. Chen, Z. W. Yu, and L. Geng, "Dual-shunt branch circuit and harmonic suppressed device application," Applied Physics A, Vol. 108, No. 2, 497-502, 2012.
14. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, and J. G. Liang, "Novel composite right/left handed transmission lines using fractal geometry and compact microwave devices application," Radio Sci., Vol. 46, RS5008, 2011.
15. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, C. X. Zhang, and X. Wang, "Characterization of composite right/left handed transmission line," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 18, 1030-1032, 2011.
16. Chu, Q. X. and H. Wang, "A compact open-loop filter with mixed electric and magnetic coupling," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 2, 431-439, 2008.
17. Cai, P., Z. W. Ma, X. H. Guan, G. X. Zheng, A. Tetsuo, and H. Gen, "A compact and low-loss sub-millimeter-wave ultra-wideband bandpass filter," Microw. Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 2, 481-484, 2007.
18. Zhu, W. S., J. R. Zhang, and M. X. Yu, "A novel Ku-band microstrip triple-mode filter using stub-loaded resonator," International Conf. Electronics, Communications and Control (ICECC), 1847-1849, 2011.
19. Avinash, K. G. and I. S. Rao, "Compact dual-mode microstrip bandpass filters with transmission zeros using modified star shaped resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 71, 177-187, 2017.
20. Maharjan, R. K., B. Shrestha, and N. Y. Kim, "Compact microstrip square open-loop bandpass filter using open stub," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 6, 333-334, 2012.
21. Ge, C., X. W. Zhu, W. C. Zhu, and X. Jiang, "Synthesis design of box-section bandpass filter with hybrid and dual-mode resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 12, 836-838, 2014.
22. Ma, K., K. C. B. Liang, R.M. Jayasuriya, and K. S. Yeo, "A wideband and high rejection multimode bandpass filter using stub perturbation," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 1, 24-26, 2009.