This paper presents a design of microstrip transmitting and receiving antennas to be used for time reversal ultra-wideband imaging applications. The transmitter and receiver arrays are together known as a time reversal mirror (TRM). Based on the properties of time reversal and its imaging applications, an antipodal Vivaldi antenna and a monopole antenna are proposed for the transmitter and receiver designs, respectively. Simulation and measurement results demonstrate the efficiency of the antennas for a time reversal mirror. The overall system is demonstrated for source and target imaging applications.
2. Lerosey, G., J. De Rosny, A. Tourin, A. Derode, G. Montaldo, and M. Fink, "Time reversal of electromagnetic waves," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 92, No. 19, 193904, 2004.
3. Zhang, W., A. Hoorfar, and L. Li, "Through-the-wall target localization with time reversal music method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 75-89, 2010.
4. Rodrıguez, S., N. Lei, B. Crowgey, L. Udpa, and S. S. Udpa, "Time reversal and microwave techniques for solving inverse problem in non-destructive evaluation," NDT & E Intl., Vol. 62, 106-114, 2014.
5. Devaney, A. J., E. A. Marengo, and F. K. Gruber, "Time-reversal-based imaging and inverse scattering of multiply scattering point targets," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 118, No. 5, 3129-3138, 2005.
6. Wiesbeck, W., G. Adamiuk, and C. Sturm, "Basic properties and design principles of UWB antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 372-385, 2009.
7. Lim, K.-S., M. Nagalingam, and C.-P. Tan, "Design and construction of microstrip UWB antenna with time domain analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 3, 153-164, 2008.
8. Nadia Maaref, P. M., X. Ferri`eres, C. Pichot, and O. Picon, "Electromagnetic imaging method based on time reversal processing applied to through-the-wall target localization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 1, 59-67, 2008.
9. Crowgey, B. R., E. J. Rothwell, L. C. Kempel, and E. L. Mokole, "Comparison of UWB short-pulse and stepped-frequency radar systems for imaging through barriers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 403-419, 2010.
10. Fink, M., "Time reversal of ultrasonic fields. i. basic principles," IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelect., Freq. Control., Vol. 39, No. 5, 555-566, 1992.
11. Kosmas, P. and C. M. Rappaport, "FDTD-based time reversal for microwave breast cancer detection-localization in three dimensions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1921-1927, 2006.
12. Gibson, P. J., "The Vivaldi aerial," 9th European Microwave Conference, 101-105, IEEE, 1979.
13. Gazit, E., "Improved design of the Vivaldi antenna," IEE Proceedings H (Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation), Vol. 135, 89-92, IET, 1988.
14. Kota, K. and L. Shafai, "Gain and radiation pattern enhancement of balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 5, 303-304, 2011.
15. Wang, P., H. Zhang, G.Wen, and Y. Sun, "Design of modified 6–18 GHz balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 271-285, 2012.
16. Balanis, C. A., Modern Antenna Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
17. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
18. Greenberg, M. C., K. L. Virga, and C. L. Hammond, "Performance characteristics of the dual exponentially tapered slot antenna (detsa) for wireless communications applications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 52, No. 2, 305-312, 2003.
19. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of ultrawideband planar monopole antennas of circular and elliptical shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 1, 17-23, 2008.
20. Mukherjee, S., L. Udpa, S. Udpa, and E. Rothwell, "Target localization using microwave time reversal mirror in reflection mode," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 2, 820-828, 2016.