A novel compact wideband dual-polarized printed dipole antenna for base station application is presented. The proposed antenna is composed of four assembled substrates. Two pairs of identical arrow-shaped conductive lines on the tophat substrate form two orthogonal polarized dipoles. Two baluns connected with 50 Ω coaxial cables are integrated on another two vertical substrates to excite the dipoles. The other horizontal board at bottom provides grounding. A rectangular box-shaped reflector is also used to enhance its stability in radiation patterns over the operating frequencies. It achieves 22% size reduction from the conventional printed half-wavelength cross-dipole, and 43.2% impedance bandwidth (VSWR<2), while maintaining a stable radiation pattern with measured Cross-Polarization Degradation (XPD) better than -22dB at boresight and an average peak gain of 8.4 dBi for a 65° Azimuth Beamwidth base station application at 700/800/900 MHz bands. With the scalable miniature structure, it may also find itself suitable for side-by-side multiband Multi-Input Multi-Output (MIMO) or Large-Scale Antenna (LSA) 5G base station applications. A 4x4 array prototype of the LSA is also designed and fabricated, and it achieves 27.8% impedance bandwidth (VSWR<1.5) with well decorrelated element performance and array XPD better than -20 dB across as large as 30° tilting range.
2. Gou, Y., S. Yang, Q. Zhu, and Z. Nie, "A compact dual-polarized double E-shaped patch antenna with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4349-4353, Aug. 2013.
3. Bao, Z., Z. Nie, and X. Zong, "A novel broadband dual-polarization antenna utilizing strong mutual coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 1, 450-454, Jan. 2014.
4. Cui, Y.-H., R. Li, and H. Fu, "A broadband dual-polarized planar antenna for 2G/3G/LTE base stations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 62, No. 9, 4836-4840, Sep. 2014.
5. Chu, Q., D. Wen, and Y. Luo, "A broadband ±45◦ dual-polarized antenna with Y-shaped feeding lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 63, No. 2, 483-490, Feb. 2013.
6. Li, R., T. Wu, B. Pan, K. Lim, J. Lasker, and M. Tentzeris, "Equivalent circuit analysis of a broadband printed dipole with adjusted integrated balun and an array for base station applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 57, 2180-2184, Jul. 2009.
7. Zhou, Z., S. Yang, and Z. Nie, "A novel broadband printed dipole antenna with low crosspolarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 55, 3091-3093, Nov. 2007.
8. He, Q., B. Wang, and J. He, "Wideband and dual-band design of a printed dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 1-4, 2008.
9. Liu, Y., H. Yi, F.-W. Wang, and S.-X. Gong, "A novel miniaturized broadband dual-polarized dipole antenna for base station," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1335-1338, 2013.
10. Wu, J., Z. Zhao, Z. Nie, and Q. Liu, "A compact printed dipole antenna for wideband wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 95-102, 2014.
11. Gou, Y., S. Yang, J. Li, and Z. Nie, "A compact dual-polarized printed dipole antenna with high isolation for wideband base station applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 62, No. 8, 4392-4395, Aug. 2014.
12. Huang, H., Y. Liu, and S. Gong, "A novel dual-broadband, dual-polarized antenna for 2G/3G/LTE base stations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 64, No. 9, 4113-4118, 2016.
13., , HFSS: High Frequency Structure Simulator Based on the Finite Element Method Ansoft Corp..
14. Tang, T. G., Q.M. Tieng, and M.W. Gunn, "Equivalent circuit of a dipole antenna using frequencyindependent lumped elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 41, No. 1, 100-103, Jan. 1993.
15. D’Aquino, A., "Recommendation on base station antenna standards by NGMN alliance, N-PBASTA,", Version 10.0, Dec. 2016.
16. Janaswamy, R., "Effects of mutual coupling on the capacity of fixed length linear arrays," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 1, 157-160, 2002.
17. Oh, T., Y.-G. Lim, C.-B. Chae, and Y. Lee, "Dual-polarization slot antenna with high crosspolarization discrimination for indoor smallcell MIMO systems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 374-377, 2015.
18. Zheng, W. C., L. Zhang, Q. X. Li, and Y. Leng, "Dual-band dual-polarized compact bowtie antenna array for anti-interference MIMO WLAN," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 1, 237-246, Jan. 2014.
19. Donelli, M. and P. Febvre, "An inexpensive reconfigurable planar array for Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012.
20. Votis, C., G. Tatsis, and P. Kostarakis, "Envelope correlation parameter measurements in a MIMO antenna array configuration," Int. J. Commun., Netw. Syst. Sci., Vol. 2, No. 4, 350-354, 2010.
21. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 36, 149-172, 1987.
22. Arun, H., A. K. Sarma, M. Kanagasabai, S. Velan, C. Raviteja, and M. G. N. Alsath, "Deployment of modified serpentine structure for mutual coupling reduction in MIMO antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 277-280, 2014.
23. Alsath, M. G. N., M. Kanagasabai, and B. Balasubramanian, "Implementation of slottedmeanderline resonators for isolation enhancement in microstrip patch antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 15-18, 2013.
24. Massa, A., M. Donelli, F. De Natale, S. Caorsi, and A. Lommi, "Planar antenna array control with genetic algorithms and adaptive array theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 2919-2924, Nov. 2004.
25. Donelli, M., S. Caorsi, F. De Natale, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "A versatile enhanced genetic algorithm for planar array design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 11, 1533-1548, Nov. 2004.