This paper proposes a novel planar beam tracking antenna and brings a new prototype antenna in wireless communication systems. The proposed antenna consists of a magic-T, two antenna elements and two phase shifters. The main idea for the antenna is to adjust the phase shifter using the difference of the signals received by the two antenna elements to tilt the beam in the direction of the arrival wave. Theoretical discussion is presented to explain the concept. Both-sided MIC technology is effectively used to integrate the magic-T and the phase shifters with the antenna elements in a simple structure. A prototype antenna of the new design for E-plane beam tracking is fabricated, and the radiation pattern and return loss are measured. Simulated and experimental results of the beam direction vs. applied voltage are successfully compared, and the proposed concept is experimentally demonstrated. An antenna structure for beam tracking in H-plane is also demonstrated in this paper.
2. Pierro, V., V. Galdi, G. Castaldi, I. M. Pinto, and L. B. Felsen, "Radiation properties of planar antenna arrays based on certain categories of aperiodic tilings," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 2, 635-644, 2005.
3. Ibrahim, S. M., "Some properties of planar array antennas formed by symmetry rotation of linear array antenna," 1989 IEEE Antenna and Propag. Society Int’l Symp. Dig. (AP-S 1989), Vol. 2, 706-708, 1989.
4. Brown, E. R., C. D. Parker, and E. Yablonovitch, "Radiation properties of a planar antenna on photonic-crystal substrate," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 10, No. 2, 404-407, 1993.
5. Toyoda, I. and E. Nishiyama, "Advanced planar antennas integrated with microwave circuits for RF signal processing applications," Proc. 10th Asia-Pacific Eng. Res. Forum on Microwaves and Electromagnetic Theory (APMET2014), 111-115, 2014.
6. Aikawa, M. and H. Ogawa, "Double-sided MICs and their applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., Vol. 37, No. 2, 406-413, 1989.
7. Sakai, H., E. Nishiyama, and I. Toyoda, "Direction of arrival estimating array antenna," Proc. 2012 Int’l Symp. on Antennas and Propag. (ISAP2012), POS2-24, 2012.
8. Tanaka, R., E. Nishiyama, and I. Toyoda, "A mono-pulse DOA estimation antenna integrated with RF amplifiers and detection circuits," 2014 IEEE Int’l Symp. Antennas and Propag. and USNC-URSI Radio Sci. Mtg. (2014 AP-S/USNC-URSI) Dig., 526.3, 2014.
9. Kederer, W. and J. Detlefsen, "Directon of arrival (DOA) determination based on monopulse concepts," Proc. 2000 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf. (APMC2000), 120-123, 2000.
10. Kondo, T., Y. Ushijima, E. Nishiyama, M. Aikawa, and I. Toyoda, "Beam steering microstrip array antenna with orthogonal excitation," Proc. 2012 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf. (APMC2012), Vol. 2A5-04, 67-69, 2012.
11. Sato, K., K. Nishikawa, and T. Hirako, "Development and field experiments of phased array antenna for land vehicle satellite communications," 1992 Antennas and Propag. Society Int’l Symp. (AP-S 1992) Dig., 1073-1076, 1992.
12. Son, S. H., S. Y. Eom, and S. I. Jeon, "A novel tracking control realization of phased array antenna for mobile satellite communication," Proc. Vehicular Tech. Conf. 2003 (VTC 2003), 2305-2308, 2003.
13. Rashid, R., E. Nishiyama, and I. Toyoda, "Prototype evaluation of a beam tracking antenna using magic-T," Proc. 2015 Int’l Symp. on Antennas and Propag. (ISAP2015), 940-943, 2015.
14. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1998.
15. Aikawa, M. and E. Nishiyama, "Compact MIC magic-T and the integration with planar array antenna," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E95-C, No. 10, 1560-1565, 2012.
16. Aikawa, M. and H. Ogawa, "A new MIC magic-T using coupled slotlines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., Vol. 28, No. 6, 523-528, 1980.
17. De Ronde, F. C., "A new class of microstrip directional couplers," 1970 IEEE MTT-S Int’l Microwave Symp. Dig., 184-189, 1970.