As ultra high frequency (UHF) radio frequency identification (RFID) technology, a smart recognition technology, has been gradually spreading to various applications, and several sub-1 GHz wireless technologies are being standardized and developed. As such technologies operate at a specific frequency band (902-928 MHz industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) bands), the impact of RF interference due to performance degradation of UHF RFID technology on the interference signal is emerging as a new obstacle. In this paper, we investigate the interference analysis and experimental results of passive UHF RFID systems in sub-1GHz wireless communications systems. By considering interference signal frequency and power, interference deployment, antenna polarization, RF system-level analysis, and experimental verification are conducted to evaluate the impact of performance degradation in the UHF RFID system on the interference signal.
2. Tu, M., J.-H. Lin, R.-S. Chen, K.-Y. Chen, and J.-S. Jwo, "Agent-based control framework for mass customization manufacturing with UHF RIFD technology," IEEE System Journal, Vol. 3, No. 3, 343-359, 2009.
3. Kim, M. and K. Kim, "Automated RFID-based identification system for steel coils," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 1-17, 2012.
4. Paredes, F., G. Zamora, S. Zuffanelli, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, F. Martın, and J. Bonache, "Freespace and on-metal dual-band tag for UHF-RFID applications in Europe and USA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 577-590, 2013.
5. Huang, H.-F. and B. Wang, "A reconfigurable dual-broadband circularly polarized antenna by orthgonal slot technique for RFID reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Lett., Vol. 68, 105-111, 2017.
6. Ding, K. and P. Jiang, "RFID-based production data analysis in an IoT-enabled smart job-shop," IEEE/CAA Journal of Automatica Sinica, Vol. PP, No. 99, 1-11, 2017 (To be published).
7. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Effects of interferences in UHF RFID systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 425-443, 2009.
8. Bekkali, A., S. Zou, A. Kadri, M. Crisp, and R. V. Penty, "Performance analysis of passive UHF RFID systems under cascaded fading channels and interference effects," IEEE Trans. on Wire. Comm., Vol. 14, No. 3, 1421-1433, 2015.
9. Kim, D.-Y., H.-G. Yoon, B.-J. Jang, and J.-G. Yook, "Effects of reader-to-reader interference on the UHF RFID interrogation range," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Elec., Vol. 56, No. 7, 2337-2346, 2009.
10. Zhu, L. and T.-S. P. Yum, "A critical survey and analysis of RFID anti-collision mechanisms," IEEE Comm. Magaz., Vol. 49, No. 5, 214-221, 2011.
11. Khadka, G. and S.-S. Hwang, "Tag-to-tag interference suppression technique based on time division for RFID," Sensors, Vol. 17, No. 78, 1-18, 2017.
12. Lee, W.-S., H.-S. Tae, and J.-W. Yu, "Quadruple-feed beam-controlled antenna array for the localisations of ultra-high-frequency radio-frequency identification tags," IET Micro., Ant. & Prop., Vol. 9, No. 9, 923-932, 2015.
13. Li, J., X. Han, H. Zhang, and W. Shi, "Suppressing multipath interference by using smart antenna for passive UHF RFID system," 2016 Int’l Conf. on Infor. Eng. and Comm. Tech. (IECT 2016), 1-6, 2016.
14. Krupka, L., L. Vojtech, and M. Neruda, "The issue of LPWAN technology coexistence in IoT environment," 2016 17th Int’l Conf. on Mechat. — Mechatronika (ME), 2016.
15. Torabi, N., K. Rostamzadeh, and V. C. M. Leung, "IEEE 802.15.4 beaconing strategy and the coexistence problem in ISM band," IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1463-1472, 2015.
16. Samuel, S. S. I., "A review of connectivity challenges in IoT-smart home," 2016 3rd MEC Int’l Conf. on Big Data and Smart City, 2016.
17. Park, M., "IEEE 802.11ah: sub-1-GHz license-exempt operation for the internet of things," IEEE Comm. Magaz., Vol. 53, No. 9, 145-151, 2015.
18. Guerrieri, J., "RFID and EMC," IEEE Electrom. Compat. Magaz., Vol. 1, No. 3, 91-91, 2012.
19. Novotny, D. R., J. R. Guerrieri, and D. G. Kuester, "Potential interference issues between FCC part 15 compliant UHF ISM emitters and equipment passing standard immunity testing requirements," IEEE Electrom. Compat. Magaz., Vol. 1, No. 3, 92-96, 2012.
20. Brunner, B., F. Pfeiffer, K. Finkenzeller, E. Biebl, F. Hochstfrequenztechnik, and U. Munchen, "Impact of GSM Interference on passive UHF RFIDs," Smart Sys. Tech. 2015, Europ. Conf. on Smart Objects, Systems and Tech., 1-7, 2015.
21. Mattei, E., E. Lucano, F. Censi, M. Triventi, and G. Calcagnini, "Provocative testing for the assessment of the electromagnetic interference of RFID and NFC readers on implantable pacemaker," IEEE Trans. on Electrom. Comp., Vol. 58, No. 1, 314-322, 2016.
22. Lauridsen, M., B. Vejlgaard, I. Z. Kov´acs, H. Nguyen, and P. Mogensen, "Interference measurements in the european 868MHz ISM band with focus on LoRa and SigFox," Wire. Comm. and Netw. Conf. (WCNC 2017), 1-6, 2017.
23. Fu, Y., W. Hong, S. Li, and J. Zou, "Experimental study on wireless interference in RFID system," 11th Int’l Conf. on Wireless Comm., Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM 2015), 2015.
24. Souryal, M. R., D. R. Novotny, D. G. Kuester, J. R. Guerrieri, and K. A. Remley, "Impact of RF interference between a passive RFID system and a frequency hopping communications system in the 900MHz ISM band," IEEE Electrom. Compat. Magaz., Vol. 1, No. 3, 97-102, 2012.