Due to the influence of aerodynamic forces, the wing will be subjected to vibration and deformation. This will result in a severe performance degradation of the wing conformal antenna. To solve this problem, a new gain-phase error compensation method based on the deformation fitting of wing conformal antenna is proposed. In this proposed method, the array deformed shape curve is fitted through the gain error of the array, thus the position of each element can be calculated. Finally, by using the position of the elements to calibrate the gain-phase error, the corrected directions of arrival (DOA) estimation angle is obtained. Simulation results show that the proposed method can well reproduce the shape of the array, and effectively compensate the position error caused by the vibration of the wing conformal antenna.
2. Mavrychev, E. A., V. T. Ermolayev, and A. G. Flaksman, "Robust Capon-based direction-of-arrival estimators in partly calibrated sensor array," Signal Processing, Vol. 93, No. 12, 3459-3465, 2013.
3. Ng, B. C. and C. M. See, "Sensor array calibration using a maximum-likelihood approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 6, 827-835, 1996.
4. See, C. M. and B. K. Poth, "Parametric sensor array calibration using measured steering vectors of uncertain locations," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 47, No. 4, 1133-1137, 1999.
5. Leshem, A. and M. Wax, "Array calibration in the presence of multipath," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 48, No. 1, 53-59, 2000.
6. Wang, B. H., Y. L. Wang, and H. Chen, "Array calibration of angularly dependent gain and phase uncertainties with instrumental sensors," Sci. China Ser. F Inf. Sci., Vol. 47, No. 6, 182-186, 2003.
7. Friedlander, B. and A. J. Weiss, "Eigenstructure methods for direction finding with sensor gain and phase uncertainties," Circuits Syst. Signal Process., Vol. 9, 272-300, 1990.
8. Wijnholds, S. J. and V. D. V. Alle-Jan, "Multisource self-calibration for sensor arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Process.,, Vol. 57, No. 9, 3512-3522, 2009.
9. Weiss, A. J. and B. Friedlander, "Array shape calibration using sources in unknown locations — A maximum likelihood approach," IEEE Trans. on ASSP, Vol. 37, No. 12, 1958-1966, 1989.
10. Wang, B. H., Y. L. Wang, and H. Chen, "Array shape calibration using carry-on instrumental sensors," Proceedings of the International Conference on Radar (IEEE Cat. No.03EX695), 636-639, Huntsville, 2003.
11. Flanagan, B. P. and K. L. Bell, "Array self-calibration with large sensor position errors," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 81, No. 10, 2201-2214, 2001.
12. Hong, J. S., "Genetic approach to bearing estimation with sensor location uncertainties," Electron. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 23, 2013-2014, 1993.
13. Schippers, H., J. H. van Tongeren, and G. Vos, "Development of smart antennas on vibrating structures of aerospace platforms of conformal antennas on aircraft structures," Proc. NATO AVT Specialists Meeting Paper Nr, Vol. 20, 2-5, Oct. 2006.
14. Schippers, H., J. V. Tongeren, P. Knott, P. Lacomme, and M. R. Scherbarth, "Vibrating antennas and compensation techniques research in NATO/RTO/SET 087/RTG 50," Proc. IEEE Aerosp. Conf., 1-13, 2007.
15. Isernia, T., A. Massa, A. F. Morabito, and P. Rocca, "On the optimal synthesis of phase-only reconfigurable antenna arrays," Proc. 5th EuCAP, 2074-2077, 2011.
16. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, 1986.