In this paper, a novel compact ring resonator based bandpass filter with a second harmonic rejection capability is proposed. The proposed bandpass filter uses a stepped-impedance open stubs and a stepped-impedance ring resonator at feeding lines. Stepped-impedance open stubs are used to obtain a better rejection level in the second harmonic-frequency band. Ring resonator's radius is calculated by examining and solving the eigenvalue equation of the ring resonator. Firstly, Sierpinski second order curve is used to achieve size reduction of about 66 % and 71 % compared to conventional microstrip ring bandpass filter inner and outer areas, respectively. Sierpinski curve is chosen because of its symmetry and its suitability for orthogonal feeding lines and open stubs incorporation without using any additional space. Referring to resonant rejection value, the proposed first Sierpinski structure -15 dB simulated fractional bandwidth is 5.6 % at 1.505 GHz and with rejection of -0.16 dB. Transmission zeros at 2.25 GHz and 3.78 GHz are obtained. Secondly, stepped-impedance open stubs are added to the resonator ports to add another transmission zero at 3.84 GHz. At 2.9 GHz, second harmonic band, the proposed structure achieves rejection of - 6.7 dB instead of -1.7 dB for the conventional one. The proposed structure -15 dB simulated fractional bandwidth is 3 % at 1.42 GHz. Innovation is achieved by the simplicity of inserting the transmission zeros, controlling zeros rejection values, incorporating stubs and orthogonal feeding lines in the same resonator area and reasonable power capability of the proposed structure. The proposed bandpass filter's prototype is fabricated using FR4 material, and a good agreement is found between simulated and measured results for return loss and rejection values. The proposed structure is very suitable for L-band applications.
2. Kundu, A. C. and I. Awai, "Control of attenuation pole frequency of a dual-mode microstrip ring resonator bandpass filter," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 6, 1113-1117, 2001.
3. Wolff, I., "Microstrip bandpass filter using degenerate modes of a microstrip ring resonator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 8, No. 12, 302-303, 1972.
4. Chang, K., S. Martin, F. Wang, and J. L. Klein, "On the study of microstrip ring and varactor-tuned ring circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 35, No. 12, 1288-1295, 1987.
5. Hsieh, L. H. and K. Chang, "Compact, low insertion-loss, sharp-rejection, and wide-band microstrip bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1241-1246, 2003.
6. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Wideband microstrip ring resonator bandpass filters under multiple resonances," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 10, 2176-2182, 2007.
7. Chiou, Y. C., J. T. Kuo, and J. S. Wu, "Miniaturized dual-mode ring resonator bandpass filter with microstrip-to-CPW broadside-coupled structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 2, 97-99, 2008.
8. Chiou, Y. C., C. Y. Wu, and J. T. Kuo, "New miniaturized dual-mode dual-band ring resonator bandpass filter with microwave C-sections," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 2, 67-69, 2010.
9. Lin, T. W., J. T. Kuo, and S. J. Chung, "Miniaturized dual-mode spiral-ring resonator bandpass filter," IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1127-1129, 2012.
10. Lin, T. W., J. T. Kuo, S. C. Tang, and S. J. Chung, "Miniaturized dual-mode ring resonator bandpass filter with a wide passband," IEEE International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-3, 2014.
11. Peh, T. and N. M. Mahyuddin, "Miniaturized broadside-coupled split ring resonator bandpass filter using capacitor loading," IEEE Radio and Antenna Days of the Indian Ocean (RADIO), 1-2, 2016.
12. El-Shaarawy, H. B., F. Coccetti, R. Plana, M. El Said, and E. A. Hashish, "Compact bandpass ring resonator filter with enhanced wide-band rejection characteristics using defected ground structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 8, 500-502, 2008.
13. Griol, A., D. Mira, A. Martinez, J. Marti, and J. L. Corral, "Microstrip multistage coupled ring bandpass filters using photonic bandgap structures for harmonic suppression," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 1, 68-70, 2003.
14. Wahab, N. A., M. K. M. Salleh, Z. I. Khan, N. E. A. Rashid, and K. A. Othman, "Single mode ring resonator with harmonic suppression," IEEE International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies (ISCIT), 294-298, 2014.
15. Dhanasekaran, D., "Harmonic suppression of bandpass filter using square CSRR," IEEE International Conference on Innovations in Information, Embedded and Communication Systems (ICIIECS), 1-3, 2015.
16. Lin, T. W., J. T. Kuo, and S. J. Chung, "Bandpass filter with generalized multiple-mode ring resonator configuration," IEEE International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 1-3, 2012.
17. Kuo, J. T. and T. W. Lin, "Dual-mode Dual-Band Ring Resonator Bandpass Filter with Transmission Zeros," IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1865-1870, 2010.
18. Luo, S., L. Zhu, and S. Sun, "A Dual-Band Ring-Resonator Bandpass Filter Based on Two Pairs of Degenerate Modes," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 12, 3427-3432, 2010.
19. Ma, Z., H. Sasaki, C. P. Chen, T. Anada, and Y. Kobayashi, "Design of a wideband bandpass filter using microstrip parallel-coupled dual-mode ring resonator," IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 21-24, 2010.
20. Kawai, K., H. Okazaki, and S. Narahashi, "Ring resonators for bandwidth and center frequency tunable filter," IEEE European Microwave Conference, 298-301, 2007.
21. Kawai, K., H. Okazaki, and S. Narahashi, "Center frequency, bandwidth, and transfer function tunable bandpass filter using ring resonator and J-inverter," IEEE Microwave Conference EuMC, 1207-1210, 2009.
22. Tu, W. H. and K. Chang, "Compact microstrip band stop filter using open stub and spur line," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 4, 268-270, 2005.
23. Salleh, M. K. M., G. Prigent, O. Pigaglio, and R. Crampagne, "Quarter-wavelength side-coupled ring resonator for bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 156-162, 2008.
24. Murakami, K. and S. Kitazawa, "Transient responses of voltage and current on ring resonator and traveling-wave loop directional filters," IEEE Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 2010 Asia-Pacific, 1185-1188, 2010.
25. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Wideband microstrip ring resonator bandpass filter with asymmetrically-loaded stubs," IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2008.
26. Kim, C. H. and K. Chang, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) ring resonator bandpass filter with a notched band," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 4, 206-208, 2011.
27. Kim, C. H. and K. Chang, "Wideband ring resonator bandpass filter with dual stepped impedance stubs," IEEE International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 229-232, 2010.
28. Meng, L., J. Xu, and M. Gao, "A novel Ultra-Wideband (UWB) ring resonator bandpass filter with improved in-band and out-of-band performance," International Conference on Electronics, Communications and Control (ICECC), 4108-4110, 2011.
29. Wolff, I. and N. Knoppik, "Microstrip ring resonator and dispersion measurement on microstrip lines," Electronics Letters, Vol. 7, No. 26, 779-781, 1971.
30. Garg, R., I. Bahl, and M. Bozzi, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, 3rd Ed., Artech House, USA, 2013.
31. Jarry, P. and J. Beneat, Design and Realizations of Miniaturized Fractal Microwave and RF Filters, John Wiley and Sons, 2009.
32. Hu, R., J. Li, and S. Fan, "A novel fractal folded-slot antenna using Sierpinski curves," IEEE Singapore International Conference on Communication Systems (ICCS), 371-373, 2008.