A circular slotted elliptical patch antenna with an elliptical notch in ground for L-band and S-band application is presented. The proposed antenna consists of an elliptical patch with a circular notch on the top layer of a substrate, and a wide elliptical slot and an elliptical notch with two symmetrical slots on the bottom layer of the same substrate. The proposed antenna was fabricated on an FR-4 substrate (tan(δ) = 0.02, εr = 4.3) with the thickness of 1.6 mm, and it was excited by coaxial feed joined with microstrip line through via. The proposed antenna exhibited the bandwidth of 110.28% from 1.2 GHz to 4.15 GHz for |S11|. Surface current distribution and radiation pattern at resonating frequencies 1.71, 2.28, 3.03 and 3.84 GHz were analyzed. Evolution of the antenna and effect of parameters were also studied to know the behavior of the antenna.
2. Yoshimura, Y., "A microstripline slot antenna (short papers)," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 20, No. 11, 760-762, November 1972.
3. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Formulation of resonance frequencies for dual-band slotted rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, No. 4, 78-97, August 2012.
4. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Analysis of broadband Psi shaped microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 2, 107-123, April 2013.
5. Ansari, J. A., A. Singh, and M. Aneesh, "Desktop shaped broadband microstrip patch antenna for wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 50, 13-18, 2014.
6. Tang, M. C., R. W. Ziolkowski, and S. Xiao, "Compact hyper band printed slot antenna with stable radiation properties," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 6, 2962-2969, June 2014.
7. Chen, J. S., "Studies of CPW-fed equilateral triangular-ring slot antennas and triangular-ring slot coupled patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2208-2211, July 2005.
8. Yao, F. W., S. S. Zhong, W.Wang, and X. L. Liang, "Wideband slot antenna with a novel microstrip feed," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, No. 3, 275-278, August 2005.
9. Yea, J. J. and L. C. Wang, "Printed wideband rhombus slot antenna with a pair of parasitic strips for multiband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 1267-1270, April 2009.
10. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of ultrawideband planar monopole antennas of circular and elliptical shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 1, 17-23, January 2008.
11. Mandal, K. and P. P. Sarkar, "High gain wide-band U-shaped patch antennas with modified ground planes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 4, 2279-2282, April 2013.
12. Ghaderi, M. R. and F. Mohajeri, "A compact hexagonal wide-slot antenna with microstrip-fed monopole for UWB application," IEEE Antennas and wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 682-685, 2011.
13. Lui, W. J., C. H. Cheng, and H. B. Zhu, "Improved frequency notched ultrawideband slot antenna using square ring resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 9, 2445-2450, September 2007.
14. Shrivastava, M. K., A. K. Gautam, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A novel a-shaped monopole-like slot antenna for ultra wide band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 8, 1826-1829, August 2014.
15. Zhong, Y. W., G. M. Yang, and L. R. Zheng, "Planar circular patch with elliptical slot antenna for ultrawideband communication applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 2, 325-328, February 2015.
16. Emadian, S. R., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, M. H. Mirmozafari, and J. Pourahmadazar, "Bandwidth enhancement of CPW-fed circle-like slot antenna with dual band-notched characteristic," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 543-546, 2012.
17. Al-Azza, A. A., F. J. Harackiewicz, and H. R. Gorla, "Very compact open-slot antenna for wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 51, 73-78, 2015.
18. Balanis, C. A., Aantenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
19. Agrawal, A., D. Vakula, and N. V. S. N. Sarma, "Design of elliptical micro strip patch antenna using ANN," PIERS Proceedings, 264-268, Suzhou, China, Sep. 12-16, 2011.