In this communication, a dual-sense dual-polarized hybrid rectangular dielectric resonator antenna (RDRA) is explored. Two leading aims of the present article include: (i) to obtain dual-polarization characteristics i.e. the combination of linear and circular polarizations; (ii) to achieve quad-band features by using the concept of hybrid antenna. Modified printed line is used to excite dual radiating modes in RDRA i.e. TExδ11 and TEy1δ1. In order to authenticate the proposed radiator, archetype of the proposed antenna is fabricated and tested. Good accord is established between measured and simulated outcomes. The proposed radiator is operated over four different frequency bands i.e. 1.81 GHz-2.06 GHz, 2.37 GHz --2.7 GHz, 3.35 GHz -- 4.4 GHz, and 4.62 GHz -- 5.62 GHz. Left Hand Circularly Polarized (LHCP) and Right Hand Circularly Polarized (RHCP) waves are obtained form 4.1-4.39 GHz and 4.78-5.2 GHz respectively. All these properties of the proposed radiator make it appropriate for 3G/WLAN/WiMAX applications.
2. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2007.
3. Rao, Q., T. A. Denidni, and A. R. Sebak, "A new dual-frequency hybrid resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, 308-311, 2005.
4. Sharma, A. and R. K. Gangwar, "Triple band dual segment cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with a novel microstrip feed for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 2649-2655, 2015.
5. Chen, H. M., Y. K. Wang, Y. F. Ling, S. C. Lin, and S. C. Pan, "A compact dual-band dielectric resonator antenna using a parasitic slot," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 173-176, 2009.
6. Guha, D., P. Gupta, and C. Kumar, "Dual-band cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna employing HEM11δ and HEM12δ modes excited by new composite aperture," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, 433-438, 2015.
7. Sharma, A., P. Ranjan, and R. K. Gangwar, "Multiband cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IET Electronics Letter, Vol. 53, 132-134, 2017.
8. Sharma, A. and R. K. Gangwar, "Circularly polarised hybrid Z-shaped cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for multiband applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 10, 1259-1267, 2016.
9. Fang, X. and K. W. Leung, "Singly fed dual band circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 995-998, 2016.
10. Pan, Y. M., S. Y. Zheng, and W. Li, "Dual-band and dual-sense omnidirectional circular polarized antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 706-709, 2014.
11. Ngan, H. S., X. S. Fang, and K. W. Leung, "Design of dual-band circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna using a high-order mode," Proc. IEEE-APS APWC, 424-427, 2012.
12. Patel, P., B. Mukherjee, and J. Mukherjee, "Wideband circularly polarized rectangular dielectric resonator antennas using square-shaped slots," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1309-1312, 2016.
13. Pal, A., S. Behera, and K. J. Vinoy, "Design of multi-frequency microstrip antennas using multiple rings," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, 77-84, 2009.
14. Weng, Z., X. Wang, Y. Jiao, and F. Zhang, "Wideband rectangular Dielectric Resonator Antenna (DRA) with slot-fed design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 181-190, 2010.
15. Aras, M., M. Shahrieel, A. Aziz, and M. Z. Abidin, "Dielectric Resonator Antenna (DRA) for wireless application," IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference Proceedings, 454-458, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2008.
16. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, A John Wiley & Sons, INC., Publication, 2013.
17. Best, S. R., "The significance of ground-plane size and antenna location in establishing the performance of ground-plane-dependent antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Magazine, Vol. 51, 29-43, 2009.