A novel broadband dual-polarized magneto-electric (ME) dipole antenna is proposed for 2G/3G/LTE/WiMAX applications. The proposed antenna has stair-shaped feeding strips to impart a wide impedance bandwidth to it and a rectangular box-shaped reflector to enhance its stability in radiation patterns and high gain over the operating frequencies. The measured results show that a common impedance bandwidth is 80% with standing-wave ratio (SWR) ≤ 1.5 from 1.68 to 3.92 GHz and port-to-port isolation larger than 25 dB within the bandwidth. The measured antenna gains vary from 9.2 to 12 dBi and from 9.2 to 11.8 dBi for port 1 and port 2, respectively. The antenna has nearly symmetrical radiation patterns with low back-lobe radiation both in horizontal and vertical planes, and broadside radiation patterns with narrow beam can also be obtained.
2. Lian, R., S. S. Zhang, Y. Z. Yin, X. Y. Song, and H. Zhang, "A broadband dual-polarized printed antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 49, 23-29, 2014.
3. Zhang, X. Y., X. X. Zhong, B. C. Li, and Y. Q. Yu, "A dual-polarized MIMO antenna with EBG for 5.8 GHz WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 51, 15-20, 2015.
4. Gou, Y., S. Yang, Q. Zhu, and Z. Nie, "A compact dual-polarized double E-shaped patch antenna with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4349-4353, Aug. 2013.
5. Zhang, J. R. and L. Z. Song, "Dual-polarized complementary structure antenna based on Babinet’s principle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 64, 29-36, 2016.
6. Ren, J., B. Wang, and Y. Z. Yin, "Low profile dual-polarized circular patch antenna with an AMC reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 47, 131-137, 2014.
7. Jiang, X., Z. Zhang, Z. Tian, Y. Li, and Z. Feng, "A low-cost dual-polarized array antenna etched on a single substrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 265-268, 2013.
8. Clavin, A., "A new antenna feed having equal E- and H-plane patterns," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 3, 113-119, Jul. 1954.
9. Luk, K. M. and H. Wong, "A complementary wideband antenna,", U.S. Patent No. 11/373,518, Mar. 2006.
10. Luk, K. M. and H. Wong, "A new wideband unidirectional antenna element," Int. J. Microw. Opt. Technol., Vol. 1, 35-44, Jun. 2006.
11. Ge, L. and K. M. Luk, "A magneto-electric dipole antenna with low-profile and simple structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 140-142, 2013.
12. An, W. X., H. Wong, K.-L. Lau, S. F. Li, and Q. Xue, "Design of broadband dual-band dipole for base station antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1592-1595, Mar. 2012.
13. Luk, K. M. and B. Q. Wu, "The magnetoelectric dipole --- A wideband antenna for base stations in mobile communications," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2297-2307, Jul. 2012.
14. He, K., S. X. Gong, and F. Gao, "A wideband dual-band magneto-electric dipole antenna with improved feeding structure," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1729-1732, 2014.
15. Siu, L., H. Wong, and K. M. Luk, "A dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole with dielectric loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 616-623, Mar. 2009.
16. An, W. X., S. F. Li, W. J. Hong, F. Z. Han, and K. P. Chen, "Design of wideband dual-band dual-polarized dipole for base station antenna," Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications, Vol. 19, No. 1, 22-28, Jun. 2012.
17. Wu, B. Q. and K. M. Luk, "A broadband dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole antenna with simple feeds," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 60-63, 2009.
18. Xue, Q., S. W. Liao, and J. H. Xu, "A differentially-driven dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 425-430, Jan. 2013.
19. Li, M. J. and K. M. Luk, "Wideband magnetoelectric dipole antennas with dual polarization and circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 57, No. 1, 110-119, Feb. 2015.