A microstrip magnetic dipole Yagi antenna with the feasibility of obtaining a wider bandwidth and relatively smaller size is proposed and demonstrated. The proposed antenna, consisting of a reflector, a driver with backed soldered SMA connector, a coupling microstrip line with three rectangular slots and three modified directors, is designed and fabricated. Good agreement between simulated and measured results is observed. Simulated and measured results reveal that the proposed antenna can provide an impedance bandwidth of 19.2% (4.95-6 GHz). Meanwhile, within the impedance bandwidth, the radiation pattern of the proposed antenna has front-to-back (F/B) ratios ranging from 10.1 dB to 26.1 dB, cross-polarization levels in the endfire direction from 47.1 dB to 73.0 dB, peak gains from 6.4 dBi to 10.4 dBi with an average peak gain of 9.6 dBi and endfire gains from 2.2 dBi to 4.3 dBi with an average endfire gain of 3.1 dBi. Additionally, the measured bandwidth of 19.2% (4.95-6 GHz) not only meets the need for certain Wi-Fi (5.2/5.8 GHz) or WiMAX (5.5 GHz) band communication application, but also provides the potential to implement multiservice transmission.
2. Ta, S.-X. and I. Park, "Crossed dipole loaded with magneto-electric dipole for wideband and wide-beam circularly polarized radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 358-361, Feb. 2015.
3. Abbosh, A., "Ultra-wideband Quasi-Yagi antenna using dual-resonant driver and integrated balun of stepped impedance coupled structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 7, 3885-3888, Jul. 2013.
4. Yang, L., J.-D. Zhang, and W. Wu, "Wideband microstrip series-fed magnetic dipole array antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 24, 1793-1795, Nov. 2014.
5. Wen, Y.-Q., B.-Z. Wang, and X. Ding, "Planar microstrip endfire antenna with multiport feeding," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 556-559, 2016.
6. Liu, J.-H. and Q. Xue, "Microstrip magnetic dipole Yagi array antenna with endfire radiation and vertical polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1140-1147, Mar. 2013.
7. Zhang, Z., X.-Y. Cao, J. Gao, S.-J. Li, and X. Liu, "Compact microstrip magnetic Yagi antenna and array with vertical polarization based on substrate integrated waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 59, 135-141, 2015.
8. Zhang, Z., G. Zhang, X.-Y. Cao, J. Gao, H.-H. Yang, and J.-H. Wu, "Compact microstrip Yagi antenna based on half-mode substrate integrated waveguide," 2016 IEEE International Coference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Vol. 2, 737-739, 2016.
9. Liu, J.-H., S.-Y. Zheng, Y.-X. Li, and Y.-L. Long, "Broadband monopolar microstrip patch antenna with shorting vias and coupled ring," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 39-42, 2014.
10. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Formulation of resonance frequencies for dual-band slotted rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Mag. on Antenna Propag., Vol. 54, 78-97, 2012.
11. Wu, J. N., Z.-Q. Zhao, Z.-P. Nie, and Q.-H. Liu, "Design of a wideband planar printed quasi-Yagi antenna using stepped connection structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 6, 3431-3435, Jun. 2014.