A finite difference method in the frequency domain is evaluated to clarify characteristics of the Lorentz force exerted on a metal nanoscale particle by light irradiation. Numerical results are compared with exact values obtained from Mie theory to show that applying a smoothing algorithm to the surface of a nanoparticle increases the accuracy of the simulation. Analysis of the Lorentz force exerted between two spheres aligned closely indicates that strong forces cause the spheres to attract each other at the plasmon resonant frequency. It was also noticed that application of the smoothing algorithm was indispensable in order to achieve the above result.
2. Guoa, L., J. A. Jackman, H. H. Yang, P. Chen, N. J. Cho, and D. H. Kim, "Strategies for enhancing the sensitivity of plasmonic nanosensors," Nano Today, Vol. 10, No. 2, 213-239, 2015.
3. Hsu, C. W., B. Zhen, W. Qiu, O. Shapira, B. G. DeLacy, J. D. Joannopoulos, and M. Solijaci, "Transparent displays enabled by resonant nanoparticle scattering," Nat. Commun., Vol. 5, 2014.
4. Colomban, P., "The use of metal nanoparticles to produce yellow, red and iridescent colour, from Bronze Age to Present Times in lustre pottery and glass: Solid state chemistry, spectroscopy and nanostructure," J. Nano Res., Vol. 8, 109-132, 2009.
5. Blosi, M., S. Albonetti, F. Gatti, G. Baldi, and M. Dondi, "Au-Ag nanoparticles as red pigment in ceramic inks for digital decoration," Dyes Pigm., Vol. 94, 355-362, 2012.
6. Bohren, C. F. and D. R. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2008.
7. Elimelech, M., X. Jia, J. Gregory, and R. Williams, "Particle Deposition and Aggregation: Measurement, Modelling and Simulation," Butterworth-Heinemann, 1995.
8. Burns, M. M., J. M. Fournier, and J. A. Golovchenko, "Optical binding," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 63, No. 12, 1233-1236, 1989.
9. Kimura, K., "Photoinduced coagulation of Au nanocolloids," J. Phys. Chem., Vol. 98, No. 8, 2143-2147, 1994.
10. Kimura, K., "Photoenhanced van der Waals attractive force of small metallic particles," J. Phys. Chem., Vol. 98, No. 46, 11997-12002, 1994.
11. Chen, H., S. Liu, J. Zi, and Z. Lin, "Fano resonance-induced negative optical scattering force on plasmonic nanoparticles," ACS Nano, Vol. 9, No. 2, 1926-1935, 2015.
12. Chen, H., C. Liang, S. Liu, and Z. Lin, "Chirality sorting using two-wave-interference induced lateral optical force," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 93, No. 5, 053833, 2016.
13. Chen, H., Y. Jiang, N. Wang, W. Lu, S. Liu, and Z. Lin, "Lateral optical force on paired chiral nanoparticles in linearly polarized plane waves," Opt. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 23, 5530-5533, 2015.
14. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill, NY, USA, 1941.
15. Fujii, M., "Radius-dependent binding or repelling forces exerted on metal nano-sphere clusters by infrared-induced plasmonic resonance," Opt. Commun., Vol. 285, No. 21–22, 4553-4557, 2012.
16. Shalin, A. S., P. Ginzburg, P. A. Belov, Y. S. Kivshar, and A. V. Zayats, "Nano-opto-mechanical effects in plasmonic waveguides," Laser. Photon. Rev., Vol. 8, No. 1, 131-136, 2014.
17. Xiao, J. J. and C. T. Chan, "Calculation of the optical force on an infinite cylinder with arbitrary cross section by the boundary element method," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 25, No. 9, 1553-1561, 2008.
18. Sikora, J., M. Panczyk, and P. Wieleba, "Hybrid boundary element method applied for diffusion tomography problems," Computer Vision in Robotics and Industrial Applications, 197-229, World Scientific, 2014.
19. Chaumet, P. C. and A. Rahmani, "Electromagnetic force and torque on magnetic and negative-index scatters," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 4, 2224-2234, 2009.
20. Demir, V., "Graphics processor unit (GPU) acceleration of finite-difference frequency-domain (FDFD) method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 23, 29-51, 2012.
21. Deinega, A. and I. Valuev, "Subpixel smoothing for conductive and dispersive media in the finitedifference time-domain method," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 23, 3429-3431, 2007.
22. Kottke, C., A. Farjadpour, and S. G. Johnson, "Perturbation theory for anisotropic dielectric interfaces, and application to subpixel smoothing of discretized numerical methods," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 77, 036611, 2008.
23. Rakic, A. D., A. B. Djurisic, J. M. Elazar, and M. L. Majewski, "Optical properties of metallic films for vertical-cavity optoelectronic devices," Appl. Opt., Vol. 37, No. 22, 5271-5283, 1998.
24. Yamaguchi, T., "Finite-difference time-domain analysis of Hemi-Teardrop-shaped near-field optical probe," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 4, 310-311, 2008.
25. Roden, J. A. and S. D. Gedney, "Convolutional PML (CPML): An efficient FDTD implementation of the CFS-PML for arbitrary media," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 5, 334-339, 2000.
26. Sleijpen, G. L. G. and D. R. Fokkema, "BiCGstab(l) for linear equations involving unsymmetric matrices with complex spectrum," ETNA, Vol. 1, 11-32, 1993.