This paper presents a method of designing a bandpass filter using hybrid polynomials. Two different approaches are discussed in this paper. The first method uses class hybridization of a lowpass Chebyshev and highpass maximally flat to achieve the hybrid filtering function (HFF). The second method employs both Chebyshev polynomials of the first and second kinds to form a modified Chebyshev polynomial. Both methods achieve a narrowband dual-band lowpass prototype (DBLPP) without much deviation from classical methods of synthesis. The designs can be adapted into a modified interdigital prototype which will be shown in this paper. The results and measurements reflect a good adherence to the theoretical calculations.
2. Stephen, H., "Multiple passband filters for satellite applications," 20th AIAA International Communication Satellite Systems Conference and Exhibit, ed: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2002.
3. Macchiarella, G. and S. Tamiazzo, "Dualband filters for base station multi-band combiners," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium 2007, 1289-1292, 2007.
4. Zhang, S. and L. Zhu, "Synthesis design of dual-band bandpass filters with λ/4 stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, 1812-1819, 2013.
5. Kuo, J.-T., T.-H. Yeh, and C.-C. Yeh, "Design of microstrip bandpass filters with a dual-passband response," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 1331-1337, 2005.
6. Gomez-Garcia, R. and A. C. Guyette, "Reconfigurable multi-band microwave filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, 1294-1307, 2015.
7. Hung, C.-Y., R.-Y. Yang, and Y.-L. Lin, "A simple method to design a compact and high performance dual-band bandpass filter for GSM and WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 187-193, 2010.
8. Yang, R.-Y., H. Kuan, C.-Y. Hung, and C.-S. Ye, "Design of dual-band bandpass filters using a dual feeding structure and embedded uniform impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 93-102, 2010.
9. Chen, C. Y., C. Y. Hsu, and H. R. Chuang, "Design of miniature planar dual-band filter using dualfeeding structures and embedded resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, 669-671, 2006.
10. Dai, G.-L., Y.-X. Guo, and M.-Y. Xia, "Dual-band bandpass filter using parallel short-ended feed scheme,” microwave and wireless components letters," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, 325-327, 2010.
11. Tsai, L.-C. and C.-W. Hsue, "Dualband bandpass filters using equal-length coupled-serial-shunted lines and Z-transform technique," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, 1111-1117, 2004.
12. Guan, X., Z. Ma, P. Cai, Y. Kobayashi, T. Anada, and G. Hagiwara, "Synthesis of dualband bandpass filters using successive frequency transformations and circuit conversions," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, 110-112, 2006.
13. Hunter, I. and I. O. E. Engineers, Theory and Design of Microwave Filters, Institution of Engineering and Technology, 2001.
14. Wong, P. W., Z. C. P. Elden, C. Sovuthy, and S. Socheatra, "A new class of microwave dual-band filter based on hybrid Chebyshev polynomials," International Microwave Symp., San Francisco, 2016.