In this paper, the design of a broadband, high-efficiency, and high-linearity Class-J GaN HEMT RF power amplifier (PA) over 1.6-2.6 GHz is explained. The source impedance is conjugate-matched to the input impedance of the device resulted from small signal simulation to make a high-gain power amplifier. The load impedance related to the maximum power added efficiency (PAE) and maximum output power is obtained by pulling the only fundamental and second harmonic components over frequency bandwidth. Thus, not only a high-efficiency PA but also a high-linearity PA is formed. The input and output matching networks are implemented by microstrip transmission lines. The theoretical PA designed is optimized using computer-aided simulations. The fabricated PA provides output power in the range of 38-39.9 dBm with 60%-73% PAE and 15-16.3 dB power gain across the band. The worst measured ACLR1 as the PA is fed by the CDMA signal with 1.2288 MHz bandwidth is at a level of -38.6 dBc. A close agreement between the measured and simulation results is observed due to the use of high-order harmonic balance simulator and high-accuracy implementation procedure.
2. Doo, S. J., P. Roblin, V. Balasubramanian, R. Taylor, K. Dandu, J. Strahler, G. H. Jessen, and J. P. Teyssier, "Pulsed active load-pull measurements for the design of high-efficiency class-B RF power amplifiers with GaN HEMTs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 4, 881-889, Apr. 2009.
3. Mohadeskasaei, S. A. and X. Zhou, "A 30watt high efficient high power RF pulse power amplifier," IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic and Multiphysics Modeling and Optimization (NEMO), 1-3, 2016.
4. Chen, K. and D. Peroulis, "Design of highly efficient broadband Class-E power amplifier using synthesized low-pass matching networks," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 12, 3162-3173, Dec. 2011.
5. Chen, K. and D. Peroulis, "Design of broadband highly efficient harmonic-tuned power amplifier using in-band continuous class-F-1/F mode transferring," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 12, 4107-4116, Dec. 2012.
6. Cripps, S. C., RF Power Amplifiers for Wireless Communications, Artech House, 1999.
7. Wright, P., J. Lees, J. Benedikt, P. J. Tasker, and S. C. Cripps, "A methodology for realizing high efficiency class-J in a linear and broadband PA," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3196-3204, Dec. 2009.
8. Wu, T., C. Plett, J. W. M. Rogers, and M. Li, "A fully integrated 1–4 GHz GaN class J power amplifier," IEEE 15th Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON), 1-3, 2014.
9. Alizadeh, A. and A. Medi, "A broadband integrated class-J power amplifier in GaAs pHEMT technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 64, No. 6, 1822-1830, Jun. 2016.
10. Refai, W. Y. and W. A. Davis, "A highly-efficient, broadband, class-J handset power amplifier using small-size matching network," IEEE 16th Annual, Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON), 1-4, 2015.
11. Moon, J., J. Kim, and B. Kim, "Investigation of a class-J power amplifier with a nonlinear Cout for optimized operation," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 11, 2800-2811, Nov. 2010.
12. Andersson, C. M., M. Ozen, D. Gustafsson, K. Yamanaka, E. Kuwata, H. Otsuka, M. Nakayama, Y. Hirano, I. Angelov, C. Fager, and N. Rorsman, "A packaged 86W GaN transmitter with SiC varactor-based dynamic load modulation," European Microwave Conference, 283-286, 2013.
13. Gonzalez, G., Microwave Transistor Amplifiers: Analysis and Design, Vol. 61, Prentice-Hall Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1997.
14. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
15. Grebennikov, A., N. Kumar, and B. S. Yarman, Broadband RF and Microwave Amplifiers, CRC Press, 2015.
16. Wu, R., J. Lopez, Y. Li, and D. Y. C. Lie, "A highly efficient 1-Watt broadband class-J SiGe power amplifier at 700 MHz," IEEE 12th Topical Meeting on Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF Systems, 69-72, 2012.
17. Xia, J., X. W. Zhu, and L. Zhang, "A linearized 2–3.5GHz highly efficient harmonic-tuned power amplifier exploiting stepped-impedance filtering matching network," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 9, 602-604, Sep. 2014.
18. Park, S., J. L. Woo, U. Kim, and Y. Kwon, "Broadband CMOS stacked RF power amplifier using reconfigurable interstage network for wideband envelope tracking," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1174-1185, Apr. 2015.
19. Son, H. S., W. Y. Kim, J. Y. Jang, I. Y. Oh, and C. S. Park, "A triple-band CMOS class-E power amplifier for WCDMA/LTE applications," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 441-443, 2013.
20. Mohadeskasaei, S. A., X. Zhou, S. M. M. Demneh, and S. U. Abdullahi, "A 10watt class-AB pulse power amplifier," IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-4, 2016.
21. Iqbal, M. and A. Piacibello, "A 5W class-AB power amplifier based on a GaN HEMT for LTE communication band," 16th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 1-4, 2016.