In this paper, a three-layered chiral metamaterial composed of three twisted split-ring resonators is proposed and investigated. The simulated and measured results show that the proposed metamaterial can achieve efficient asymmetric transmission of linearly polarized wave and cross-polarization conversion for two distinct bands: X (6.95-10.05 GHz) and Ku (15.55-18.47 GHz). In the X-band, an incident y-polarized wave is almost converted to a x-polarized wave, while an incident x-polarized wave is completely blocked from passing through the structure. In the Ku-band, an incident x-polarized wave is almost converted to a y-polarized wave, while an incident y-polarized wave is blocked from passing through the structure. Moreover, the simulated and measured results confirm that the proposed metamaterial has a good robustness to misalignment, which provides convenience for fabricating in practical applications. Finally, the physical mechanism of this dual-band asymmetric transmission effect can be explained based on the different resonant modes of the proposed structure.
2. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, No. 5781, 1780-1782, 2006.
3. Fang, N., H. Lee, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging with a silver superlens," Science, Vol. 308, No. 5721, 534-537, 2005.
4. Ye, Y. and S. He, "90◦ polarization rotator using a bilayered chiral metamaterial with giant optical activity," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 96, No. 20, 788, 2010.
5. Chen, J. and A. Zhang, "A linear-to-circular polarizer using split ring resonators," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 28, No. 6, 507-512, 2013.
6. Cheng, Y., Y. Nie, Z. Cheng, and R. Z. Gong, "Dual-band circular polarizer and linear polarization transformer based on twisted split-ring structure asymmetric chiral metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 263-272, 2014.
7. Fedotov, V. A., A. S. Schwanecke, N. I. Zheludev, V. V. Khardikov, and S. L. Prosvirnin, "Asymmetric transmission of light and enantiomerically sensitive plasmon resonance in planar chiral nanostructures," Nano Lett., Vol. 7, No. 7, 1996-1999, 2007.
8. Singh, R., E. Plum, C. Menzel, C. Rockstuhl, A. K. Azad, R. A. Cheville, F. Lederer, W. Zhang, and N. I. Zheludev, "Terahertz metamaterial with asymmetric transmission," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 80, No. 15, 153104(5), 2009.
9. Schwanecke, A. S., V. A. Fedotov, V. V. Khardikov, S. L. Prosvirnin, Y. Chen, and N. I. Zheludev, "Nanostructured metal film with asymmetric optical transmission," Nano Lett., Vol. 8, No. 9, 2940-2943, 2008.
10. Plum, E., V. A. Fedotov, and N. I. Zheludev, "Planar metamaterial with transmission and reflection that depend on the direction of incidence," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 94, No. 13, 131901, 2009.
11. Menzel, C., C. Helgert, C. Rockstuhl, E.-B. Kley, A. Tunnermann, T. Pertsch, and F. Lederer, "Asymmetric transmission of linearly polarized light at optical metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 104, No. 25, 253902, 2010.
12. Kang, M., J. Chen, H. X. Cui, Y. Li, and H. T. Wang, "Asymmetric transmission for linearly polarized electromagnetic radiation," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, No. 9, 8347-8356, 2011.
13. Mutlu, M., A. E. Akosman, A. E. Serebryannikov, and E. Ozbay, "Diodelike asymmetric transmission of linearly polarized waves using magnetoelectric coupling and electromagnetic wave tunneling," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 108, No. 21, 213905, 2012.
14. Huang, C., Y. Feng, J. Zhao, Z. Wang, and T. Jiang, "Asymmetric electromagnetic wave transmission of linear polarization via polarization conversion through chiral metamaterial structures," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 85, No. 19, 195131, 2012.
15. Cheng, Y., Y. Nie, X. Wang, and R. Gong, "An ultrathin transparent metamaterial polarization transformer based on a twist-split-ring resonator," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 111, No. 1, 209-215, 2013.
16. Shi, J. H., Z. Zhu, H. F. Ma, and W. X. Jiang, "Tunable symmetric and asymmetric resonances in an asymmetrical split-ring metamaterial," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 112, No. 7, 073522, 2012.
17. Dincer, F., C. Sabah, M. Karaaslan, E. Unal, M. Bakir, and U. Erdiven, "Asymmetric transmission of linearly polarized waves and dynamically wave rotation using chiral metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 140, 227-239, 2013.
18. Shi, J., X. Liu, S. Yu, T. Lv, Z. Zhu, H. F. Ma, and T. J. Cui, "Dual-band asymmetric transmission of linear polarization in bilayered chiral metamaterial," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 102, No. 19, 191905, 2013.
19. Shi, J. H., H. F. Ma, C. Y. Guan, Z. P. Wang, and T. J. Cui, "Broadband chirality and asymmetric transmission in ultrathin 90◦-twisted Babinet-inverted metasurfaces," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 89, No. 16, 165128, 2014.
20. Pfeiffer, C., C. Zhang, V. Ray, L. J. Guo, and A. Grbic, "High performance bianisotropic metasurfaces: Asymmetric transmission of light," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 113, No. 2, 023902, 2014.
21. Liu, D. Y., M. H. Li, X. M. Zhai, L. F. Yao, and J. F. Dong, "Enhanced asymmetric transmission due to Fabry-Perot-like cavity," Opt. Express, Vol. 22, No. 10, 11707-11712, 2014.
22. Song, K., Y. H. Liu, C. R. Luo, and X. P. Zhao, "High-efficiency broadband and multiband crosspolarization conversion using chiral metamaterial," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 47, No. 50, 505104, 2014.
23. Liu, D. J., Z. Y. Xiao, and Z. H. Wang, "Multi-band asymmetric transmission and 90◦ polarization rotator based on bi-Layered metasurface with F-shaped structure," Plasmonics, 2016, DOI: 10.1007/s11468-016-0284-4.
24. Menzel, C., C. Rockstuhl, and F. Lederer, "An advanced Jones calculus for the classification of periodic metamaterials," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 82, No. 5, 053811, 2010.
25. Mutlu, M. and E. Ozbay, "A transparent 90◦ polarization rotator by combining chirality and electromagnetic wave tunneling," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 100, No. 5, 051909, 2012.
26. Born, M., E. Wolf, and A. B. Bhatia, Principles of optics: electromagnetic theory of propagation, interference and diffraction of light, Cambridge University, 1999.
27. Ji, R., S. W. Wang, X. Liu, and W. Lu, "Giant and broadband circular asymmetric transmission based on two cascading polarization conversion cavities," Nanoscale, Vol. 8, No. 15, 8189-8194, 2016.