A wideband circularly polarized (CP) cross-dipole antenna is proposed for wireless applications. In this design, four parasitic square patches are utilized around the radiation patch to enhance the Axial-ratio (AR) bandwidth. By employing the bowtie-shape dipoles, the proposed antenna can achieve a wide impedance bandwidth. Meanwhile, by integrating with a curved-delay line which provides a 90° phase difference, the proposed antenna can radiate a CP pattern. A prototype is calculated, fabricated, and measured. Good agreement between the simulated and measured results is achieved. The measured results show an impedance bandwidth for VSWR≤2 of 47.73% (1.93-3.14 GHz) and a 3-dB AR bandwidth of 42.8% (2.00-3.09 GHz).
2. Son, W. I. and W. G. Lim, "Design of compact quadruple inverted-F antenna with circular polarization for GPS receiver," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1503-1510, May 2010.
3. Nasimuddin, Z., N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Asymmetric-circular shaped slotted microstrip antennas for circular polarization and RFID applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3821-3828, Dec. 2010.
4. Bian, L., Y. X. Guo, L. C. Ong, and X. Q. Shi, "Wideband circularly polarized patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 9, 2682-2686, Sep. 2006.
5. Zou, M. and J. Pan, "A wideband circularly polarized rectangular dielectric resonator antenna excited by an archimedean spiral slot," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 446-449, Oct. 2015.
6. Zhang, C. and X. Liang, "A broadband dual circularly polarized patch antenna with wide beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1457-1460, Jul. 2014.
7. Cai, Y.-M. and K. Li, "Broadband circularly polarized printed antenna with branched microstrip feed," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 674-677, Mar. 2014.
8. Bolster, M. F., "A new type of circular polarizer using crossed dipoles," IRE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 9, No. 5, 385-388, Sep. 1961.
9. Yang, D. and H.-C. Yang, "A novel circularly polarized bowtie antenna for inmarsat communications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, No. 4, 317-325, Aug. 2012.
10. Baik, J.-W., K.-J. Lee, W.-S. Yoon, T.-H. Lee, and Y.-S. Kim, "Circularly polarized printed crossed dipole antennas with broadband axial ratio," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 13, 785-786, Jun. 2008.
11. He, Y., W. He, and H. Wong, "A wideband circularly polarized cross-dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 67-70, Jan. 2014.
12. Bai, X. and S.-W. Qu, "Ka-band cavity-backed detached crossed dipoles for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 12, 5944-5950, Dec. 2014.
13. Ta, S. X. and I. Park, "Crossed dipole loaded with magneto-electric dipole for wideband and wide-beam," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 358-361, Feb. 2015.
14. Baik, J.-W. and T.-H. Lee, "Broadband circularly polarized crossed dipole with parasitic loop resonators and its arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 80-88, Jan. 2011.