A novel hybrid antenna capable of both spectrum sensing and then accordingly reconfiguring its operating characteristics is proposed here. The proposed antenna is versatile in nature as it can reconfigure its resonant frequency, polarization state, bandwidth and radiation pattern. The physical structure of antenna is also versatile in nature as different printed parts are used several times in different operating modes using PIN diodes. The proposed versatile antenna senses spectrum over a wide frequency range from 3 GHz-12 GHz by using a separate UWB antenna. After sensing, the antenna can reconfigure its frequency in five different bands using three matching stubs. The proposed antenna can reconfigure its polarization state over two frequency bands by controlling the switchable slot. The antenna can also reconfigure its pattern by shorting the parasitic arc using PIN diodes. The prototype is fabricated, and the functioning is verified through measurement.
2. Tawk, Y. and C. G. Christodoulou, "A new reconfigurable antenna design for cognitive radio," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1378-1381, 2009.
3. Sharma, S. and C. C. Tripathi, "Frequency reconfigurable U-slot antenna for SDR application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 129-136, 2015.
4. Sharma, S. and C. C. Tripathi, "Wideband to concurrent tri-band frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna for wireless communication," Int. Journal of Microwave and Wireless Tech., 1-10, 2016.
5. Tawk, Y., J. Costantine, K. Avery, and C. Christodoulou, "Implementation of a cognitive radio front-end using rotatable reconfigurable antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1773-1778, 2011.
6. Zheng, S. H., X. Y. Liu, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel optically controlled reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio systems," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Jul. 6–11, 2014.
7. Tawk, Y., M. Bkassiny, G. El-Howayek1 S. K. Jayaweera, K. Avery, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable front-end antennas for cognitive radio applications," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 8, 985-992, 2011.
8. Al-Husseini, M., Y. Tawk, C. G. Christodoulou, A. El-Hajj, and K. Y. Kabalan, "A reconfigurable cognitive radio antenna design," IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Toronto, Canada, Jul. 11–17, 2010.
9. Aboufoul, T., A. Alomainy, and C. Parini, "Reconfiguring UWB monopole antenna for cognitive radio applications using GaAs FET switches," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 392-394, Apr. 2012.
10. Ebrahimi, E., J. R. Kelly, and P. S. Hall, "Integrated wide-narrowband antenna for multi-standard radio," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 7, 2628-2635, Jul. 2011.
11. Sharma, S. and C. C. Tripathi, "A wide spectrum sensing and frequency reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 67, 11-20, 2016.
12. Augustin, G. and T. A. Denidni, "An integrated ultra wideband/narrow band antenna in uniplanar configuration for cognitive radio systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 11, 5479-5484, Nov. 2012.
13. Sharma, S. and C. C. Tripathi, "A versatile reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio," Asia Pacific Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, (APMC 2016), New Delhi, India, Dec. 5–9, 2016.