A sharply rejected dual notch band UWB monopole antenna is presented in this paper. The proposed antenna consists of maple leaf shaped radiating element, a 50 Ω microstrip feed line and truncated ground plane. The proposed antenna shows the UWB operation in the frequency range (1.7 GHz-11.1 GHz) with VSWR<2 except the notch bands and two band notches centered at 4.3 GHz and 7.7 GHz. The band notches are achieved by introducing a meandered slot in the radiating element and U-shaped slot in feed line. The substrate used for designing of UWB antenna is low loss Rogers 5880 having relative permittivity of 2.2. The novelty of the proposed antenna is its shape and ability to support UWB bandwidth requirements, and it also rejects two bands to avoid possible interference with existing communication system. Good agreement between the simulated and measured results is observed. The proposed antenna has good gain and efficiency at pass bands.
2. Saleem, R. and A. K. Brown, "Empirical miniaturization analysis of inverse parabolic step sequence based UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 369-381, 2011.
3. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
4. Andres-Garcia, B., L. E. Garcia-Munoz, D. Segovia-Vargas, I. Camara-Mayorga, and R. Gusten, "Ultrawideband antenna excited by a photomixer for terahertz band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 1-15, 2011.
5. Ray, K. P. and S. Tiwari, "Ultra wideband printed hexagonal monopole antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 4, 437-445, 2010.
6. Deng, J. Y., Y. Z. Yin, S. G. Zhou, and Q. Z. Liu, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with tri-band notched characteristic," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 21, 1231-1233, Oct. 2008.
7. Taheri, M. M. S., H. R. Hassani, and S. M. A. Nezhad, "Compact printed coplanar waveguide-fed ultra-wideband antenna with multiple notched bands," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2121-2126, 2012.
8. Liu, H.W., C. H. Ku, T. S.Wang, and C. F. Yang, "Compact monopole antenna with band-notched characteristic for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 397-400, 2010.
9. Abdollahvand, M., G. Dadashzadeh, and D. Mostafa, "Compact dual band-notched printed monopole antenna for UWB application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1148-1151, 2010.
10. Trang, N. D., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Design and analysis of compact printed triple bandnotched UWB antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 403-406, 2011.
11. Almalkawi, M. J. and V. K. Devabhaktuni, "Quad band-notched UWB antenna compatibl with WiMAX/ INSAT/ lower-upper WLAN applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 19, Sep. 2011.
12. Kelly, J. R., P. S. Hall, and P. Gardner, "Band-notched UWB antenna incorporating a microstrip open-loop resonator," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 8, 3045-3048, Aug. 2011.
13. Emadian, S. R., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, M. H. Mirmozafari, and J. Pourahmadazar, "Bandwidth enhancement of CPW-fed circle like slot antenna with dual band-notched characteristic," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 543-546, 2012.
14. Li, L., Z.-L. Zhou, and J.-S. Hong, "Compact UWB antenna with four band-notches for UWB applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 22, 1211-1212, Oct. 2011.