In this paper, a compact triple-band bandpass filter based on composite right/left handed (CRLH) approach has been proposed. The zeroth order resonance (ZOR) frequency of the designed filter can be controlled effectively by varying the series parameters. A new circular interdigital capacitor is integrated to provide series capacitance. The number of passbands depends on number of rings of circular interdigital capacitor (C-IDC). In order to validate metamaterial behavior, a dispersion diagram has been plotted for the designed filter. The proposed filter offers measured 3dB fractional bandwidth of 71% at 1.7 GHz, 24% at 2.9 GHz and 12% at 4.1 GHz as center frequencies. The designed filter will be suitable for different wireless applications such as global navigation satellite systems (1.559-1.610 GHz), GSM1800, indoor femtocells (2.5-2.7 GHz), air traffic surveillance (2.7-2.9 GHz) and fixed satellite services (3.8-4.2 GHz). The size of the proposed filter is 0.13λ0 × 0.11λ0, where λ0 is the free space wavelength at ZOR frequency of 1.7 GHz.
2. Weng, M., H. Wu, K. Shu, J. Chen, R. Yang, and Y. Su, "A novel triple-band bandpass filter using multilayer-based substrates for WiMAX," 37th European Microwave Conference, European, 325-328, 2007.
3. Hsu, C. G., C. Lee, and Y. Hsieh, "Tri-band bandpass filter with sharp passband skirts designed using tri-section SIRs," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, 19-21, 2008.
4. Chen, W., M. Weng, and S. Chang, "A new tri-band bandpass filter based on stub-loaded stepimpedance resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, 179-181, 2012.
5. Lai, X., C. H. Liang, H. Di, and B. Wu, "Design of tri-band filter based on stub loaded resonator and DGS resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, 265-267, 2010.
6. Xu, K., Y. Zhang, D. Li, Y. Fan, J. L. Wei, W. T. Joines, and Q. H. Liu, "Novel design of a compact triple-band bandpass filter using short stub-loaded sirs and embedded sirs structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 309-320, 2013.
7. Chiou, Y. C. and J. T. Kuo, "Planar multiband bandpass filter with multimode stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 129-144, 2011.
8. Shen, W., W. Yin, X. Sun, and J. Mao, "A new wide stopband microstrip bandpass filter with miniaturized interdigital capacitor resonator," Electrical Design of Advanced Packaging & Systems Symposium, 1-5, Hong Kong, 2009.
9. Sam, S., H. Kang, and S. Lim, "Frequency reconfigurable and miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide interdigital Capacitor (SIW-IDC) antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, 1039-1045, 2014.
10. Fouad, M. A. and M. A. Abdalla, "New π-T generalised metamaterial negative refractive index transmission line for a compact coplanar waveguide triple band pass filter applications," IET Microwave and Antennas Propagation, Vol. 8, 1097-1104, 2014.
11. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2006.
12. Veselago, V., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspheki, Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968.
13. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Application of the transmission line theory of left-handed (LH) materials to the realization of a microstrip LH line," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 412-415, 2002.
14. Iyer, A. K. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Negative refractive index metamaterials supporting 2-D waves," Int. Microwave Symp., Vol. 2, 1067-1070, June 2002.
15. Sanada, A., K. Murakami, S. Aso, H. Kubo, and K. Awai, "A via-free microstrip left-handed transmission line," Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 301-304, 2004.
16. Choudhary, D. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Vialess wideband bandpass filter using CRLH transmission line with semi-circular stub," 2nd International Conference on Microwave and Photonics (ICMAP), 1-2, 2015.
17., "RF design and seminar and measurement seminar,", 187, Hewlett Packard, Appendix.
18. Low, H., M. K. Iyer, B. Ooi, and M. Bong, "Via design optimisation for high speed device packaging," 2nd International Conference on Electronics Packaging Technology, 112-118, Singapore, 1998.
19. Chen, F. C. and Q. X. Chu, "Design of compact tri-band bandpass filters using assembled resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, 165-171, 2009.