A single-feed circularly polarized wide-beam antenna is proposed for Compass Navigation Satellite System (CNSS) application. The antenna consists of four stepped arc-shaped arms, which are applied to generate circularly polarized radiation. To broaden the beamwidth, each arm is split up into two horizontal arc-shaped parts and one vertical part. The proposed antenna is simulated, fabricated and tested. The measured results show that the 10-dB return loss band of the proposed antenna is from 2.37 GHz to 2.65 GHz and the 3-dB axial ratio band from 2.42 GHz to 2.55 GHz, covering the receiving band (2.49175 GHz ± 4.08 MHz) of CNSS. Its 3-dB AR beamwidth is 181° at 2.491 GHz. For the horizontal radiation pattern of the proposed antenna at 5° elevation angle, the RHCP gain is greater than -1.1 dBic, and the out-of-roundness is 1 dB. Additionally, the proposed antenna has a size of 0.37λ0×0.37λ0×0.11λ0 with respect to 2.491 GHz.
2. Tranquilla, J. M. and S. R. Best, "A study of the quadrifilar helix antenna for global positioning system (GPS) applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 38, No. 10, 1545-1550, 1990.
3. Caillet, M., M. Clenet, A. Sharaiha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A broadband folded printed quadrifilar helical antenna employing a novel compact planar feeding circuit," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2203-2209, 2010.
4. Lin, W.-X. and Q.-X. Chu, "Wide beamwidth quadifilar helix antenna with cross dipoles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 40, 229-242, 2013.
5. Chu, Q.-X., W. Lin, W.-X. Lin, and Z.-K. Pan, "Assembled dual-band broadband quadrifilar helix antennas with compact power divider networks for CNSS application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 516-523, 2013.
6. Hebib, S., N. J. G. Fonseca, P. A. Faye, and H. Aubert, "Compact printed quadrifilar helical antenna with shaped pattern and high cross polarization discrimination," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 635-638, 2011.
7. Louvigne, J. C. and A. Sharaiha, "Broadband tapered printed quadrifilar helical antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 37, 932-933, 2001.
8. Sun, L., B.-H. Sun, H. Wu, J. Yuan, and W. Tang, "Broadband, wide beam circularly polarized antenna with a novel matching structure for satellite communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 58, 159-166, 2015.
9. Ta, S. X. and I. Park, "Crossed dipole loaded with magneto-electric dipole for wideband and widebeam circularly polarized radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 358-361, 2015.
10. Ta, S. X., H. Choo, I. Park, and R. W. Ziolkowsk, "Multi-band, wide-beam, circularly polarized, crossed, asymmetrically barbed dipole antennas for GPS applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 11, 5771-5775, 2013.
11. Tang, C. L., J. Y. Chiou, and K. L. Wong, "Beamwidth enhancement of a CP microstrip antenna mounted on a three-dimensional ground structure," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 2, 149-153, 2002.
12. Nasimuddin, Y., S. Anjani, and A. Alphones, "A wide-beam CP asymmetric-microstrip antenna," IEEE Tran. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3764-3768, 2015.
13. Luo, Y., Q.-X. Chu, and L. Zhu, "A low-profile wide-beamwidth circularly-polarized antenna via two pairs of parallel dipoles in a square contour," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 931-936, 2015.
14. Park, B.-C. and J.-H. Lee, "Compact circularly polarized antenna with wide 3-dB axial-ratio beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 410-413, 2016.
15. Choi, E.-C., J. W. Lee, and T.-K. Lee, "Modified S-band satellite antenna with Iso flux pattern and circularly polarized wide beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1319-1322, 2013.
16. Zuo, S.-L., L. Yang, and Z.-Y. Zhan, "Dual-band CP antenna with a dual-ring cavity for enhanced beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 867-870, 2015.
17. Deng, C., Y. Li, Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "A CP pattern diversity antenna for hemispherical coverage," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 10, 5365-5369, 2015.
18. Wang, Y.-S. and S.-J. Chung, "A miniature quadrifilar helix antenna for global positioning satellite reception," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3746-3751, 2009.