A novel compact unidirectional UWB antenna is presented in this paper. First a novel planar omnidirectional UWB antenna with CPW-feed is designed. The antenna is composed of a half-elliptical disc with a small ground plane. A slot is inserted on the patch as a novel technique to improve the gain bandwidth of the antenna at higher frequencies is presented. The omnidirectional antenna shows UWB matching and gain bandwidth of 2 GHz to 6.5 GHz. Furthermore, to make the radiation pattern of the omnidirectional antenna unidirectional, a rectangular shape metallic reflector without bottom wall is used on the backside of the antenna. The unidirectional antenna with a total dimension of 0.52λm x 0.33λm x 0.18λm (λm wavelength of the minimum operating frequency) has a matching bandwidth of 1.5 GHz to 7.7 GHz with a gain of 5 dBi to 10.2 dBi over 1.7 GHz to 6.5 GHz, and flat group delays of less than 1 nsec. To validate the proposed design, the antenna is fabricated, and measured results are compared with simulations.
2. Peyrot-Solis, M. A., G. M. Galvan-Tejada, H. Jardon-Aquilar, and , "State of art in ultra-wideband antennas," Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. Electr. and Electron. Eng., 101-105, Sep. 2005.
3. Schantz, H. G., The Art and Science of Ultra-Wideband Antennas, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Boston, MA, 2015.
4. Geng, S., D. Liu, Y. Li, H. Zhuo, W. Rhee, and Z. Wang, "A 13.3mW 500Mb/s IR-UWB transceiver with link margin enhancement technique for meter-range communications," IEEE J. of Solid-State C, Vol. 50, No. 3, 669-678, Feb. 2015.
5. Heidari, G., WiMedia UWB: Technology of Choice for Wireless USB and Bluetooth, 1st Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2008.
6. Xu, X., T. Xia, A. Venkatachalam, D. Huston, and M. Asce, "Development of high-speed ultrawideband ground-penetration radar for rebar detection," J. of Eng. Mechanic, Vol. 139, No. 3, 272-285, 2012.
7. Li, L., A. E. Tan, K. Jhamb, and K. Rambabu, "Buried object characterisation using ultrawideband ground penetrating radar," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 8, 2654-2664, Aug. 2012.
8. Dehmollaian, M. and K. Sarabandi, "Refocusing through building walls using synthetic aperture radar," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 6, 1589-1599, Jun. 2008.
9. Li, J., Z. Zeng, J. Sun, and F. Liu, "Through-wall detection of human being’s movement by UWB radar," IEEE Geosci. and Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 9, No. 6, 1079-1083, Nov. 2012.
10. Ojaroudi, N., M. Ojaroudi, and N. Ghadimi, "UWB omnidirectional square monopole antenna for use in circular microwave imaging systems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1350-1353, Nov. 2012.
11. Mobashsher, A. T., A. M. Abbosh, and Y. Wang, "Microwave system to detect traumatic brain injuries using compact unidirectional antenna and wideband transceiver with verification on realistic head phantom," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 62, No. 9, 1826-1836, Sep. 2014.
12. Edalati, A. and T. A. Denidni, "A compact UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Microwave Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 52, 1183-1186, 2010.
13. Gautam, A. K., S. Yadav, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A CPW-fed compact UWB microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 151-154, 2013.
14. Bourqui, J., M. Okoniewski, and E. C. Fear, "Balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna with dielectric director for near-field microwave imaging," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2318-2326, 2010.
15. Wang, Y., G. Wang, and B. Zong, "Directivity improvement of Vivaldi antenna using double-slot structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1380-1383, 2013.
16. Jacob, B., J. W. Odendaal, and J. Joubert, "An improved design for a 1–18 GHz double-ridged guide horn antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4110-4118, Jul. 2012.
17. Morgan, M. A. and T. A. Boyd, "A 10–100 GHz double-ridged horn antenna and coax launcher," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3417-3422, Aug. 2015.
18. Daniels, D. J., Ground Penetrating Radar, 2nd Ed., IET Press, London, UK, 2004.
19. Kim, K. and W. R. Scott, "Design of resistively loaded vee dipole for ultrawide-band groundpenetrating radar applications," IEEE. Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2525-2532, Aug. 2005.
20. Yang, H. and K. Kim, "Ultra-wideband impedance matching technique for resistively loaded vee dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 11, 5788-5792, Nov. 2013.
21. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "A compact antenna for ultrawide-band applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 7, 2185-2192, Jul. 2005.
22. Elsherbini, A. and K. Sarabandi, "Directive coupled sectorial loop antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 576-579, 2009.
23. Mobasher, A. T. and A. Abbosh, "Slot-loaded folded dipole antenna with wideband and unidirectional performance for L-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 798-801, 2014.
24. Midrio, M., S. Boscolo, F. Sacchetto, F. M. Pigozzo, and A. D. Capobianco, "Novel ultra-wideband bow-tie antenna with high front-to-back ratio and directivity," Microwave Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1116-1120, 2010.
25. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Wideband cavity-backed bowtie antenna with pattern improvement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3850-3854, Dec. 2008.
26. Qu, S. W., C. H. Chan, and Q. Xue, "Ultra-wideband composite cavity-backed folded sectoral bowtie antenna with stable pattern and high gain," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2478-2483, Aug. 2009.
27. Ge, L. and K. M. Luk, "A magneto-electric dipole for unidirectional UWB communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 11, 5762-5765, Nov. 2013.
28. Tu, Z., D. F. Zhou, G. Q. Zhang, F. Xing, X. Lei, and D. W. Zhang, "A wideband cavity-backed elliptical printed dipole antenna with enhanced radiation patterns," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1610-1613, 2013.
29. Moody, R. A. and S. K. Sharma, "Ultrawide bandwidth (UWB) planar monopole antenna backed by novel pyramidal-shaped cavity providing directional radiation patterns," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1469-1472, 2011.
30. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, T. W. C. Brown, J. Z. Li, and J. D. Xu, "Low-profile directional ultra-wideband antenna for see-through-wall imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 121, 121-139, 2011.
31. Wu, Q., R. Jin, J. Geng, and M. Ding, "Pulse preserving capabilities of printed circular disk monopole antennas with different grounds for the specified signal forms," IEEE Trans. Antennas propag., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2866-2873, 2007.
32. Molaei, A., M. Kaboli, S. A. Mirtaheri, and M. S. Abrishamiyan, "Dielectric lens balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna with low cross-polarisation for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 14, 1137-1142, 2014.
33. Li, X., S. C. Hagness, M. K. Choi, and D. W. van der Weide, "Numerical and experimental investigation of an ultrawideband ridge pyramidal horn antenna with curved launching plane for pulse radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, 252-269, 2003.