A highly integrated X-band receiver module is designed based on a 10-layered low temperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC) substrate. A compact X-band bandpass filter (BPF), an intermediate frequency (IF) band hybrid and an IF band BPF are proposed for the receiver module. The measured gain parameter of the proposed receiver is higher than 51 dB, and noise figure (NF) and image rejection are better than 2.5 dB and 37 dB, respectively. The overall size of the receiver module is only 54 mm × 15 mm × 1 mm. Comparisons and discussions are also provided.
2. Seki, T., K. Nishikawa, Y. Suzuki, I. Toyoda, and K. Tsunekawa, "60GHz monolithic LTCC module for wireless communication systems," IEEE 9th European Conference in Wireless Technology, 376-379, 2006.
3. Naghib-Zadeh, H., T. Rabe, J., Toepfer, and R. Karmazin, "Co-firing of LTCC modules with embedded ferrite layers," IEEE 18th European Microelectronics and Packaging Conference (EMPC), 1-6, 2011.
4. Giordani, R., M. Amici, A. Barigelli, F. Conti, M. D. Marro, M. Feudale, and A. Suriani, "Highly integrated and solderless LTCC based C-band T/R module," IEEE European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1760-1763, 2009.
5. Wolff, I., "From antennas to microwave systems — LTCC as an integration technology for space applications," IEEE 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 3-8, 2009.
6. Xia, L., R. Xu, and B. Yan, "LTCC-based highly integrated millimeter-wave receiver front-end module," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 27, No. 7, 975-983, 2006.
7. Bucci, O. M., T. Isernia, and A. F. Morabito, "Optimal synthesis of circularly symmetric shaped beams," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1954-1964, 2014.
8. Huang, X. D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel microstrip dual-mode bandpass filter with harmonic suppression," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, 404-406, 2006.
9. Deng, H. W., Y. J. Zhao, W. Chen, B. Liu, and Y. Y. Liu, "Wide upper-stopband microstrip bandpass filter with dual-mode open loop stepped-impedance resonator and source-load coupling structure," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 54, 1618-1621, 2012.
10. Jeon, B. K., H. Nam, K. C. Yoon, B. W. Jeon, Y. W. Kim, and J. C. Lee, "Design of a patch dual-mode bandpass filter with second harmonic suppression using open stubs," IEEE Microwave Conference Proceedings (2010 APMC), 1106-1109, 2010.
11. Ohta, I., X. P. Li, T. Kawai, and Y. Kokubo, "A design of lumped-element 3 dB quadrature hybrids," IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (1997 APMC), 1141-1144, 1997.
12. Hou, J.-A. and Y.-H. Wang, "A compact quadrature hybrid based on high-pass and low-pass lumped elements," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, 595-597, 2007.
13. Lim, J.-H., D.-Y.Jung, C.-S. Park, and S.-W. Hwang, "Implementation of a 5GHz LTCC bandpass filter using vertically-interdigitated capacitor and via engineering," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 2, 339-341, Feb. 2008.
14. Huang, H.-H., C.-H.Chen, and T.-S. Horng, "Quasi-lumped bandpass filter with sharp transition edge and wide stopband rejection," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 7, 479-480, 2013.
15. Brzezina, G., L. Roy, and L. MacEachern, "Design enhancement of miniature lumped-element LTCC bandpass filter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 4, 815-823, Apr. 2009.
16. Hwang, S., S. Min, M. Swaminathan, V. Sundaram, and R. Tummala, "Thin-film high-rejection filter integration in low-loss organic substrate," IEEE Trans. Compon., Packag. Manufact. Technol., Vol. 1, 1160-1170, Aug. 2011.