A compact microstrip lowpass filter with ultra-wide stopband characteristics and high suppression level is presented. To achieve compact size and wide stopband suppression along with improved impedance matching, symmetrically loaded resonant patches, open stubs and stair shaped high impedance stub is introduced in the filter. The measurement results show good agreement with the simulations. The 3 dB cutoff frequency of the filter is 2.44 GHz. The stopband with attenuation level better than 22 dB is extended from 2.84 GHz to 16 GHz, hence an ultra wide stopband with 6th harmonic suppression is achieved. The proposed filter has low insertion loss and high return loss in the passband, together with compact size of 0.257λgx0.148λg, where λg is the guided wavelength at cutoff frequency. The relative stop bandwidth of the proposed design is identified to be 139.5%.
2. Wang, L., H. C. Yang, and Y. Li, "Design of compact microstrip low-pass filter with ultra-wide stopband using SIRs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 179-186, 2010.
3. Zhang, F., J. Z. Gu, C. Y. Gu, L. N. Shi, C. F. Li, and X. W. Sun, "Lowpass filter with in-line beeline CMRC," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 8, 472-474, 2006.
4. Gu, J. and X. Sun, "Compact lowpass filter using spiral compact microstrip resonant cells," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 19, 1065-1066, 2005.
5. Li, L., Z.-F. Li, and Q.-F. Wei, "Compact and selective lowpass filter with very wide stopband using tapered compact microstrip resonant cells," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 5, 267-268, 2009.
6. Ke, L., M. Zhao, Y. Fan, Z. Zhu, and W. Cui, "Compact lowpass filter with wide stopband using novel double-folded SCMRC structure with parallel open-ended stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 36, 77-86, 2013.
7. Wei, F., L Chen, and X-W Shi, "Compact lowpass filter based on coupled-line hairpin unit," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 7, 379-381, 2012.
8. Velidi, V. and S. Sanyal, "Sharp roll-off lowpass filter with wide stopband using stub-loaded coupledline hairpin unit," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 6, 301-303, 2011.
9. Chen, X., L. Zhang, Y. Peng, Y. Leng, H. Lu, and Z. Zheng, "Compact lowpass filter with wide stopband bandwidth," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 2, 367-371, 2015.
10. Yang, M. H., J. Xu, Q. Zhao, L. Peng, and G. P. Li, "Compact, broad stopband lowpass filters using SIRs-loaded circular hairpin resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 95-106, 2010.
11. Cao, H., W. Guan, S. He, and L. Yang, "Compact lowpass filter with high selectivity using Gshaped defected microstrip structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 55-62, 2012.
12. Ma, K. and K. S. Yeo, "New ultra-wide stopband low-pass filter using transformed radial stubs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 3, 2011.
13. Li, Y., H.-C. Yang, and S.-Q. Xiao, "Lowpass filter with wide stopband and sharp skirt using novel defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 41, 185-191, 2013.
14. Belbachir, A. K., M. Boussouis, and N. A. Touhami, "High-performance LPF using coupled Cshape DGS and radial stub resonators for microwave mixer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 58, 97-103, 2016.
15. Chen, X. Q., R. Li, S. J. Shi, Q. Wang, L. Xu, and X. W. Shi, "A novel low pass filter using elliptic shape defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 117-126, 2008.
16. Hayati, M. and A. Lotfi, "Elliptic function lowpass filter with sharp cutoff frequency using slitloaded tapered compact microstrip resonator cell," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 2, 143-144, 2010.
17. Raphika, P. M., P. Abdulla, and P. M. Jasmine, "Compact lowpass filter with a sharp roll-off using patch resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 11, 2534-2536, 2014.
18. Raphika, P. M., P. Abdulla, and P. M. Jasmine, "Planar elliptic function lowpass filter with sharp roll-off and wid stopband," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 1, 133-136, 2016.
19. Wang, J. P., L. Ge, Y.-X. Guo, and W. Wu, "Miniaturised microstrip lowpass filter with broad stopband and sharp roll-off," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 8, 573-575, 2010.