A wideband printed quadrifilar helical antenna (PQHA) using a novel single-layer compact feeding circuit is proposed in this paper. A low-cost single-layer feeding circuit which consists of a 180° compact rat race coupler and two 3 dB hybrid commercial couplers is incorporated at the bottom of the quadrifilar antenna. The antenna arms are tapered at the feeding point to improve impedance matching between the antenna and feeding circuit. The operating frequency band ranges from 1.9 to 2.3 GHz which shows that the proposed antenna is a good candidate for various applications such as satellite communication and broadcasting satellite systems. Therefore, the array of the proposed antenna on the simple cube satellite mock-up is investigated. By this antenna array configuration, a fully spherical radiation coverage is obtained around the structure. The bandwidth of the axial ratio (AR) with a wide beamwidth (160º) is 20% in operating frequency band. The measured peak gain of the proposed antenna varies between 2.6 and 3.2 dBic in the frequency band of interest. The measured 3 dB AR half-power beamwidth is 160º.
2. Gonzalez, I., J. Gomez, A. Tayebi, and F. Catedr, "Optimization of a dual-band helical antennas for TTC applications at S band," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 54, No. 4, 63-77, Aug. 2012.
3. Choi, E., J. W. Lee, and T.-K. Lee, "Modified S-band satellite antenna with isoflux pattern and circularly polarized wide beamwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1319-1322, 2013.
4. Amin, M., J. Yousaf, and M. K. Amin, "Terrestrial mode quadrifilar helix antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 179-187, 2011.
5. Yousaf, J., M. Amin, and S. Iqbal, "Design of circularly polarized omnidirectional bifilar helix antennas with optimum wide axial ratio beamwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 39, 119-132, 2013.
6. Amin, M. and R. Cahill, "Compact quadrifilar helix antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 3, 153-154, 1996.
7. Ibambe, M. G., Y. Letestu, and A. Sharaiha, "Compact printed quadrifilar helical antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 13, 697-698, 2007.
8. Letestu, Y. and A. Sharaiha, "Broadband folded printed quadrifilar helical antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 5, 1600-1604, May 2006.
9. Caillet, M., M. A. Clenet, Y. Sharaiha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A broadband folded printed quadrifilar helical antenna employing a novel compact plannar feeding circuit," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2203-2209, Jul. 2010.
10. Fartookzadeh, M. and S. H. Mohseni Armaki, "Multi-band conical and inverted conical printed quadrifilar helical antennas with compact feed networks," AEU — Int J. Electron Commun., Vol. 70, 33-39, 2016.
11. Ghaffarian, M. S., S. Khajepour, and G. Moradi, "A quadrifilar helix antenna using low cost planar feeding circuit," 24th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE), 1019-1022, May 2016.
12. Mo, T. T., Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "A broadband compact microstrip rat-race hybrid using a novel CPW inverter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 1, 161-167, Jan. 2007.
13. Liu, G.-Q., L.-S. Wu, and W.-Y. Yin, "A compact microstrip Rat-Race coupler with modified lange and T-Shaped arms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 509-523, 2011.
14. Kuo, J.-T. and C.-H. Tsai, "Generalized synthesis of rat race ring coupler and its application to circuit miniaturization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 51-64, 2010.
15. Khajepour, S., S. Asadi, M. S. Ghaffarian, and G. Moradi, "Wideband multisection hybrid coupler in slot-coupled structure for L/S/C band applications," 1st International Conference on New Research Achievements in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ICNRAECE), May 2016.
16. Khajepour, S., S. Asadi, M. S. Ghaffarian, and G. Moradi, "Design of novel wideband reflective phase shifters with wide range of phase applications," AEU — Int J. Electron Commun., Vol. 71, 30-36, 2017.