A compact microstrip resonator based on the interdigital structure is proposed. The resonator has several times higher unloaded quality factor compared to similar resonators presented previously and can even reach the Q-factor of a regular λ/4 resonator. The size of the resonator can be significantly reduced with a substantial increase in quality factor by incrementing the number of pins in the interdigital structure. In addition, for each gap between the pins exist an optimal number of pins that correspond to the maximum Q-factor. An extension of the upper stopband for a bandpass filter designed using the resonator can be achieved by the interconnection of the pins in each of the comb structures. The simulation results were proven by fabricated resonators and 4-pole bandpass filter. For the central frequency of 2000 MHz and 16.2% fractional bandwidth, the lateral size of the filter is only 11.5 mm×3.8 mm for alumina substrate (eps=9.8). The filter has an upper stopband up to 5.8f0 at the level -40 dB.
2. Shum, K. M., T. T. Mo, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "A compact bandpass filter with two tuning transmission zeros using a CMRC resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 3, 895-900, Mar. 2005.
3. Wu, C.-H., C.-H. Wang, and C. H. Chen, "Balanced coupled-resonator bandpass filters using multisection resonators for common-mode suppression and stopband extension," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 8, 1756-1763, Mar. 2007.
4. Mao, R.-J., X.-H. Tang, L. Wang, and G.-H. Du, "Compact hybrid resonator with series and shunt resonances used in miniaturized filters and balun filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 2, 440-448, Feb. 2008.
5. Liang, C.-H. and C.-Y. Chang, "Novel microstrip stepped-impedance resonator for compact wideband bandpass filters," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2009, 941-944, 2009.
6. Fernandez-Prieto, A., A. Lujambio, J. Martel, F. Medina, F. Mesa, and R. R. Boix, "Simple and compact balanced bandpass filters based on magnetically coupled resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 63, No. 6, 1843-1853, Jun. 2015.
7. Luo, X., H. Qian, J.-G. Ma, K. Ma, and K. S. Yeo, "Compact dual-band bandpass filters using novel embedded spiral resonator (ESR)," IEEE Microw. Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 8, 435-437, Aug. 2010.
8. Chen, C.-F., T.-Y. Huang, and R.-B. Wu, "Novel compact net-type resonators and their applications to microstrip bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 2, 755-762, Feb. 2006.
9. Yang, T., M. Tamura, and T. Itoh, "Compact hybrid resonator with series and shunt resonances used in miniaturized filters and balun filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 2, 390-402, Feb. 2010.
10. Liang, C.-H. and C.-Y. Chang, "Compact wideband bandpass filters using stepped-impedance resonators and interdigital coupling structures," IEEE Microw. Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 9, 551-553, Sep. 2009.
11. Boonlom, K., T. Pratumvinit, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "A compact microstrip two-layers bandpass filter using improved interdigital-loop resonators," IEEE International Symposium on Radio- Frequency Integration Technology, RFIT 2009, 367-370, 2009.
12. Zhu, J. and Z. Feng, "Microstrip interdigital hairpin resonator with an optimal physical length," IEEE Microw. Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 12, 672-674, Dec. 2006.
13. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Capacitively loaded microstrip loop resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 18, 1494-1495, Sep. 1994.
14. Aboush, Z. and A. Porch, "Compact, narrow bandwidth, lumped element bandstop resonators," IEEE Microw. Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 8, 524-526, Aug. 2005.
15. Liang, C.-H., C.-H. Chen, and C.-Y. Chang, "Fabrication-tolerant microstrip quarter-wave steppedimpedance resonator filter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1163-1172, May 2009.
16. Jin, X., W. Wen, and M. Chen, "Compact and sharp skirts microstrip dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using a single quadruple-mode resonator (QMR)," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1104-1112, Mar. 2013.
17. Bekheit, M., S. Amari, and W. Menzel, "Modeling and optimization of compact microwave bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 2, 420-430, Feb. 2008.
18. Athukorala, L. and D. Budimir, "Compact dual-mode open loop microstrip resonators and filters," IEEE Microw. Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 11, 698-700, Nov. 2009.
19. Tang, C.-W. and S.-F. You, "Design methodologies of LTCC bandpass filters, diplexer, and triplexer with transmission zeros," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 2, 717-723, Feb. 2006.
20. Ye, T., B. Yan, and S. Zhou, "A compact folded interdigital bandpass filter using LTCC technology," 2010 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, ICMMT, 717-719, 2010.
21. Chen, H.-C., C.-H. Tsai, and T.-L. Wu, "A compact and embedded balanced bandpass filter with wideband common-mode suppression on wireless SIP," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 2, No. 6, 1030-1038, Jun. 2012.
22. Tamura, M., T. Yang, and T. Itoh, "Very compact and low-profile LTCC unbalanced-to-balanced filters with hybrid resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 8, 1925-1936, Aug. 2011.
23. Perigaud, A., S. Bila, S. Verdeyme, D. Baillargeat, and D. Kaminsky, "Multilayer interdigital structures for compact bandpass filters providing high selectivity and wideband rejections," IEEE Microw. Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 2, 93-95, Feb. 2014.
24. Belyaev, B. A., A. M. Serzhantov, V. V. Tyurnev, Y. F. Bal’va, and A. A. Leksikov, "Planar bandpass filter with 100-dB suppression up to tenfold passband frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 48, 37-44, 2014.
25. Belyaev, B. A., A. M. Serzhantov, Ya. F. Bal’va, A. A. Leksikov, and R. G. Galeev, "A new design of a miniature microstrip resonator with interdigital structure," Tech. Phys. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 11, 1010-1013, Nov. 2014.
26. Belyaev, B. A., A. M. Serzhantov, A. A. Leksikov, Ya. F. Bal’va, and A. A. Leksikov, "Novel high-quality compact microstrip resonator and its application to bandpass filter," IEEE Microw. Compon. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 9, 579-581, Nov. 2015.
27. Leferink, F. B. J., "Inductance calculations; methods and equations," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 16-22, 1995.