A novel single-negative magnetic (SNG) metamaterial (MTM) insulator is designed to reduce mutual coupling between high-profile monopole antennas. As a kind of metamaterials, the proposed SNG MTM-resonator utilized concentric rings embedded complementary metal structures. Then, an insulator is achieved with a highly compact structure. The band-gap of the insulator is attributed to the negative permeability of the magnetic resonance. A well-engineered MTM-resonator is then embedded in between a high-profile monopole antenna array for coupling reduction. The antenna array is designed, fabricated, and measured. Both numerical and experimental results indicate a mutual coupling reduction of more than 17 dB. The 20 dB isolation bandwidth about 16% is obtained. The proposed prescription with electrically small dimensions and high decoupling efficiency opens an avenue to new types of high-profile antennas with super performances.
2. Cai, T., G.-M. Wang, J.-G. Liang, and Y.-Q. Zhuang, "Application of ultra-compact single negative waveguide metamaterial for a low mutual coupling patch antenna array design," Chin. Phys. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 8, 0841011-0841015, 2014.
3. Xu, H. X., G.-M. Wang, and M.-Q. Qi, "Hilbert-shaped magnetic waveguided metamaterials for electromagnetic coupling reduction of microstrip antenna array," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 49, No. 4, 1526-1529, 2013.
4. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, M.-Q. Qi, and H.-Y. Zeng, "Ultra-small single-negative electric metamaterial for electromagnetic coupling reduction of microstrip antenna array," Opt. Exp., Vol. 20, No. 20, 21968-21976, 2012.
5. Bait-Suwailam, M. M., M. S. Boybay, and O. M. Ramahi, "Electromagnetic coupling reduction in high-profile monopole antennas using single-negative magnetic metamaterials for MIMO applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 9, 2894-2910, 2007.
6. Sarabandi, K. and Y. J. Song, "Subwavelength radio repeater system utilizing miniaturized antennas and metamaterials channel isolator," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2683-2691, 2011.
7. Jiang, X., Y.-J. Qiu, and L. Peng, "Novel metamaterial insulator for compact array isolation," International Conference on Signal Processing, Communications and Computing, 649-652, Guilin, Guangxi, CN, Aug. 2014.
8. Buell, K., H. Mosallaei, and K. Sarabandi, "Metamaterial insulator enabled superdirective array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1074-1085, 2007.
9. Hsu, C. C., K. H. Lin, and H. L. Su, "Implementation of broadband isolator using metamaterialinspired resonators and a T-shaped branch for MIMO antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 10, 3936-3939, 2011.
10. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003.
11. Assimonis, S. D., T. V. Yioultsis, and C. S. Antonopoulos, "Computational investigation and design of planar EBG structures for coupling reduction in antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 2, 771-774, 2012.
12. Chung, Y., et al., "High isolation dual-polarized patch antenna using integrated defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 1, 4-6, 2004.
13. Chiu, C.-Y., C.-H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, 2007.
14. Chen, X., T. M. Grzegorczyk, B.-I. Wu, J. Pacheco, and J. A. Kong, "Robust method to retrieve the constitutive effective parameters of metamaterials," Phy. Rev. E, Vol. 70, 016608, 2004.
15. Imbert, M., P. J. Ferrer, J. M. Gonzalez-Arbesu, and J. Romeu, "Assessment of the performance of a metamaterial spacer in a closely spaced multiple-antenna system," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 720-723, 2012.
16. Dadgarpour, A., B. Zarghooni, and T. A. Denidni, "Mutual-coupling suppression for 60GHz MIMO antenna using metamaterials," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2015.
17. Ferrer, P. J., J. M. Gonzalez-Arbesu, and J. Romeu, "Bidirectional metamaterial separator for compact antenna systems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2007.